1. BEFORE POSTING: Please search our support page for the quickest answer!
Dismiss Notice
DO NOT POST APPEALS IN THIS SECTION OF THE FORUMS

Why was bedwars ruined? (My opinion)

Discussion in 'The Hive Discussion' started by dinol, Sep 11, 2018.

?

Do you like the new bedwars or the old one?

1. New bedwars

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. Old bedwars

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juracan

Juracan Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +634
    The emerald delay is a fantastic update. Before, in the old bw, it was the team that could speedbridge the fastest who actually won. The delay gives people time to build bridges making the game more pvp based, since you'll actually have to fight for you emmies if everyone gets to mid after 2 mins...
  2. captainsnake

captainsnake Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +506
    This

That strategy was by far over present in the meta. I played that strategy for the longest time, and still did up until the update because nothing else was viable. And have you considered that the strategy is still possible with a few modifications? It is. Rush the people near you, then go to mid at the 2:00 mark and defend until 8 emeralds spawn. Get 1 tnt, iron chestplate, and speed. Rush from there.

The only risk you encounter when running this strategy is people breaking your bed while you are at mid for the first time. You can counter this by rushing the person next to you if they seem aggressive. It just takes 10-20 seconds off the strategy is they bridged for you, which if they aren’t doing that you don’t need to rush them early game. And even if people get emeralds while you are rushing you can smoothly switch in to an aggressive rushing strat as a back up and then you can rush speed mid game.

If you think that with this update we are choosing your strategy for you you are very mistaken. The old update choose your strategy for you. The new update gives you diversity. Sure, the exact same meta as before wont be a thing. But almost all skills can transfer from that strategy to a newer version of that strategy. Or you can work with a completely new strategy.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  3. dinol

dinol Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +4
    Emerald summoner delay- In all honesty the existence of this at all makes me want to quit all together, lowered or not, as it's a ridiculous idea in itself. In all honesty, literally every player I've talked about this in game with says that this was a bad decision, I've only seen it defended on the forums.
    Wooden swords- WIth the addition of wooden swords, they can basically kill you immediately after respawning, especially since the first hit they have spawn protection. With these, spawn protection should be removed. In addition, you shouldn't get a wooden sword every time you respawn, or at least make the respawn time 10-15 seconds (not really a good idea, but it's the best way to remove problems with the wooden sword), but this isn't good as long respawn times aren't fun for anyone.
    Speed- Speed 1 honestly just seems completely pointless and speed 2 should just cost 10 emeralds. In all honesty, speed was fine before, the way it was.

Also, you didn't fix the problem, considering 3 mins in I was full obi, speed 2. It does make it less fun to rush, as it's absolutely pointless to rush now, this was the main draw to the game for me, so this kinda removes the fun. I didn't see fun as a problem, so I don't know why it was patched in the update.

However, rushing was literally one of the most fun parts of the game, it had a high risk chance and a high reward chance, so I didn't really see any problems with it. Often multiple teams would rush, causing fighting for the emeralds in the middle anyway, so you saying you actually have to fight for them now was in the game anyway.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2018
  4. captainsnake

Ratings:
    +506
    In full armor a wooden sword only deals half a heart, that’s almost nothing. Plus you can always use tnt to break their bed defenses faster so you only need to kill them once, or you can use end stone to protect yourself when breaking bed defenses. People still rush mid, just two minutes later, your bed can still be broken while you are at mid.

The only reason you liked the old bedwars was because you could get OP items and win the game 3 minutes in. The fact that you could get the two best items in the game within the first 3 minutes is an issue, how could you not realize that?

Rushing mid isn’t high risk high reward, an actual agressive playstyle is high risk high reward. Rushing mid is low risk high reward and that’s why it was OP. On top of that it took very little complexity in execution (just knowing how to speed bridge) And 75% of the time the other people at mid are so bad it’s like they don’t even know how to left click.

Having speed 1 in there isn’t pointless because it provides a smoother change in strength throughout the game instead of giant spikes.

I find your last claim particularly amusing because what you are suggesting is impossible. You claim that the update didn’t fix the issue, and that you get full obi and speed two in 3 minutes. Here’s the math on that: 8 obi (2 ems per) = 16 emeralds. Speed one and two both cost 5 so that brings our total to 26. Devide that by 4 to get emeralds per spawner and you get 6.5. Round up because you have to do that so that goes to 7 emerald generation. Assuming you are playing on the fastest mid map (turris) it takes about 10 seconds to get from your shop to emeralds. Let’s add another 10 seconds for buying and placing obi, and then another 5 for grabbing the last two emeralds. That makes 25 seconds spent on assorted things. Then you need to take in to account that emeralds only start generating 2 minutes in. So add another 120 seconds. That gives you 35 seconds to generate 7 sets of emeralds. That is 1 generation per 5 seconds. Faster than in BedX.

Gg
  5. dinol

dinol Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +4
    1. Ob only costs 1 emerald per block
    2. It was obvious exaggeration, although I did have the full ob by at least 3:11 (I looked a the timer when I got full ob)
    3. As stated before; it was obvious exaggeration, why you'd waste your time doing all the maths, I don't know

Also, the swords are too OP as every 5 seconds they get a few hits in on you, especially the free one from spawn protection. Also, it's rare that people have full diamond armour most of the time, so I don't know why that keeps getting brought up as an argument for wooden swords, since it may as well be completely invalid.
  6. captainsnake

Ratings:
    +506
    Sorry, 2 emerald obi was only in bedx, I had assumed it was like that in all modes. Still, you get your full obi at 3:11. With that same 25 second delay you are getting obi with only 6 seconds extra. And that’s assuming there is no one to slow you down. Most games against competitive players I’d say obi at 4:30 is good. And that’s sacrificing all of your offense early game and essentially spending about 2:30+ on getting a defense upgrade that will just get destroyed when you are off doing something else. Sure it’s viable, but it is no where near as OP as it was.
  7. AppleJxice

AppleJxice Well Known Bee Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I think that most of the bedwars community dislikes the update, which can be understandable. Many people also feel that the hive is just basing the update off another server (Hypixel). Which is very problematic for most of the community. A lot of people like playing hive because it's a different server than the more well known ones. So, if many different aspects of the update stay in place the community will all just leave and go to the bigger servers. Hive bedwars had something different about it, and that is what the community likes. This is really what most of the community has had an issue with.
  8. Juracan

Juracan Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +634
    @dinol the real diffrence here is simply the fact that everyone now has a chance at rushing. Lets say team 1 can ninja or god or moonwalk or... and get to mid in, lets say 10 secs. Team 2 however, is a bit slower, and does it in 20 secs. It's simple, team 2 rushes when the timer hits 1:40, team 1 when the timer hits 1:50. In that spare minute, you can prepare for the fight at the mid (for the emmies) or you can choose to rush other teams. This way the game focuses on the fight at mid/pvp aspect, without making the games too long.
    I don't really see why this would make such a huge impact tbh ^^
  9. dinol

dinol Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +4
    Exactly!
  10. heyimblake

heyimblake spelling is fun! Hive Developer

Ratings:
    +2,893
    I can assure you with 100% confidence that we didn't look at other networks for ideas. We had specific reasons for our changes.

This is the exact reason we added a delay. We wanted the game to be less about who can get to mid first, but more who actually has the best strategy and skills. We are discussing about reducing the delay, but some form of it will likely remain. Not to mention that our Bedwars community focus group voted to add a delay rather than making Obsidian more expensive.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. AppleJxice

AppleJxice Well Known Bee Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Hey there blake! I hope you can see why it might seem that way. With all of the new additions looking very similar to hypixel, including tnt breaking blocks, potions, and spawning with a wooden sword. These are all things that were already done by hypixel. I know that the potions aren't the same as hypixel and tnt isn't supposed to break blocks by beds, but it all just seems very similar none the less.
  12. TNTDragonMC

TNTDragonMC V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +2,778
    Those things don't make the game already like the Hypixel version. Note that both potions and tnt breaking blocks were things suggested by the community, while the wooden swords are simply a means of providing some means of defense when you're overrun by enemies, as well as an anti-kill-farming method.

Now I admit I haven't played Hypixel's BedWars much, but from what I heard it's a rather quick gamemode, while Hive's BedWars is more about strategy. Sure, you can finish in 3-4 minutes, but most games of solos/duos will last 8-10 minutes, and hitting the 15-minute mark isn't that uncommon either. If anything, having the update make a rush strategy harder, forcing players to capitalize on a more tactical approach makes this less like Hypixel's BedWars. But then again, I don't know much in this field
  13. JollyajaX

JollyajaX Code Monkey/Pixel Pusher Hive Owner

Ratings:
    +13,162
    Hey guys, appreciate all the feedback. Closing these threads because they're hard to keep track of and are getting argumentative. Please feel free to continue leaving your feedback in the main thread, we just posted/updated BedWars with a new patch :)

Peace!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.