What is Jumping?

Discussion in 'BlockParty' started by ShadowCat, Jul 20, 2019.

1. ShadowCat

ShadowCat Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +63
    Lately, I've seen the term jumping for others thrown around and had some unpleasant messages thrown at me for "not jumping" for someone. I don't think I'm the only one who wonders this so an answer would be greatl appreciated. Thanks. :)
  2. Drollings

Drollings Well Known Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +44
    The only thing I can come up with is maybe not jumping at the end of a blockparty game to get a draw.
  3. iHells

iHells Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +43
    upload_2019-7-20_12-26-23.png
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Ironmate

Ironmate Giannis Antetokounmpo. Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,193
    Yeah they don’t mean the legit definition of the verb to jump but rather it has to do with what @Drollings mentioned. At the end of a BP game, when some people realize that they are going to win because they notice that everyone else is falling, they will purposely jump off their block into the void so that the game will end right there in a tie with the other people that would have otherwise lost.

The appeal behind this is that there is no consequence for this action. You still receive a win and you still receive the same amount of points if you jumped or didn’t. However, that decision is totally up to the user and they should not be judged for “not jumping” because ultimately they deserved the sole win.

Edit: Please read post from @RadioactiveDroid below. He sheds some light to the fact that you don't receive the same amount of points for jumping for people. I'll leave the rest of this post the same just so droid's post makes sense.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. RadioactiveDroid

RadioactiveDroid Famous

Ratings:
    +238
    Just wanted to make a note on what Ironmate said, it is significant to note that you do not get the same amount of points if you jump since the win bonus is 20 points when you win a game but in the case of a tie, that win bonus gets split across the players who won so if you win alone you get +20, but if you tie with one other you get +10, with two others you get +7, etc.

So if people do want to optimize for points per game, they are losing out by jumping. Saying they have nothing to lose, paints them in a worse light than is deserved :p

Edit: Just for accuracy, I did some experiments and the lowest the win bonus gets is +7 so if you tie with 2 other or 19 others, the split won't be lower than +7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  6. Ironmate

Ironmate Giannis Antetokounmpo. Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,193
    Oh gosh I'll fully admit I did not know that. I guess the last time I played a lot of BP there was no such thing as tie games. I apologize for just assuming you receive the same amount of points. I really appreciate you correcting me!
  7. ShadowCat

ShadowCat Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +63
    Thank you so much! <3
  8. AugustOfChaos

AugustOfChaos Famous

Ratings:
    +8
    I've seen this a few times since I've come back. It's strange but I kinda get it. give the win to everyone at the sacrifice of a few points.

The way iIsee it is you can play how you want to play. This isn't meant to be a team game. You don't have to do any favors for anyone, and they don't have a right to get mad at you for it.
  9. Kazoeru

Kazoeru Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Personally I jump if I feel I won out of luck.
    If they made a clear error that could've easily been avoided, I don't jump.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Intergaylactic

Intergaylactic Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +18
    I usually jump but sometimes I don't pay attention to the other players. I'm not always aware that they're falling into the abyss.

I get called out sometimes for not jumping, too.