Thoughts on improving H&S

Discussion in 'Hide and Seek' started by Elastiskt, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Reultan

Reultan Talk of the Town Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +115
    1. When I get killed in this game it is sometimes from a player who was hiding near me who was then caught but knew where I was hid when we were both moving about in warm-up. It's annoying and I feel it ruins the point that seekers are not supposed to know where hiders are.

Idea: Perhaps make it so that hiders have blindness during warm-up? This way they can only see 2 or so blocks in front of them and can't tell where other hiders went. However, if this were applied, I think there should be a longer warm-up time, as it will be more difficult to find a decent spot. I'm not sure but this might be something to consider.

2. Some hiders camp right next to where the seeker will spawn so that they can seek even if they weren't assigned seeker. In some games this can be like 5 players, which makes it much more difficult to win if you are a hider who is actually hiding.

Idea: Kick players from the game who haven't moved off the spawn area by the end of warm-up. Either they are AFK or are not interested in hiding.

3. It is far too difficult for a hider to kill a seeker. Hiders can be killed by seekers from 2-3 hits. Not sure how many hits it is for a hider to actually kill a full HP seeker, but it is far far more than 3. It should take more hits, but it shouldn't be near impossible.

Idea: Give both roles stone swords. Seekers will still be at the advantage in a fight as they have armor and seekers can still kill hiders in just a few hits.

These are just ideas off the top of my head. I'm sorry if they have been suggested before and dismissed, I can't read all these threads. Please consider my ideas and then tell me your thoughts - and be kind please <3

Thank you.
  2. melizsa

melizsa Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +65
    With all due respect, I disagree with all ideas. I do see the issue with them, I don't think the issues are too bad.

1. This can never be avoided. When you taunt, other hiders can see you. Blindness during warmup would be awful and completely ruin the gameplay. Sometimes you need to be able to look up to find a spot in the air (which, honestly, are the best spots).

2. Seeking gives way more points than hiding, to be fair. So understandably (especially people who want to get many points) players will want to seek. As long as not too many people get killed in the first few seconds, there is no problem (in my eyes).
    This also gives more reason for hiders to find new spots and motivation to get better!

3. The point of the game is not to kill the seeker. Especially when you're attacking the seeker with multiple people, it's very possible to kill him. Even if you're alone, it's possible (hard, but possible). If it is too easy, people won't be hiding anymore and straight up killing the seeker.
    Hide and Seek was never meant to be a pvp game ^^

I WOULD LIKE TO ADD:

A thing I would like to see changed, would be the style of maps. I feel like, especially the new maps, are purposefully made very messy and very memory-based. There are very little hiding spots that can be 'found' by being creative because every spot seems to have been pre-made.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Reultan

Ratings:
    +115
    1. Not everyone uses taunts, and not all taunts are visible. Also the blindness suggestion isn't necessarily the only way to address my point - what would be good is to first recognize that the game shouldn't be played like that. Seekers should not know where hiders are before they even start seeking.

2. Problem is that in some games it is a substantial amount of the % of players becoming seekers in the first 30 seconds. Not because they were caught, but because they went out of their way to be killed to be able to seek.

3. Hiders killing seekers is not the point of the game but it is part of it. I do not believe that making it a little easier for hiders to try and kill a seeker turns it into a pvp game - the seekers still have a huge advantage and can be hit multiple times and stay alive, while they only need to tap hiders a 3-4 times to kill. Of course with more hiders it will be easier, but even so the advantage is still with the seeker as it should be.

I disagree on a few things, but I appreciate the feedback <3
  4. Apple9494

Apple9494 V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +2,208
    1) your point? first, hiders with blindness cannot run. second, new players with blindness will keep asking “where should I go if I can’t see anything???” and eventually end up close to spawn by the end of warmup, and get killed. If you feel that a hider who just died knows where you were hiding, simply change your spot.
    2) lolno, this is terrible. I usually seek most maps with my friend(s), so this will lead to pointless kicks of both of us. Also, how on earth is “not interested in hiding” a valid reason to kick somebody?
    3) Well, here you’re out of knowledge. A seeker can kill a hider in three hits, no more no less, since it is coded that a single hit from a seeker takes away 4 hearts of damage.Then there’s an anticheat (?) issue that sometimes happens and results in some of your hits getting ignored. Then, here’s what I am unsure of, but blocking with rightclick works for hiders too. And finally, crits from hiders do count, while seekers cannot inflict more damage with them (they simply don’t count).
  5. Asheras

Asheras The Bees Knees Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +6,005
    THIS. SO MUCH THIS. Literally every map since around Hotel California's release has had random holes in the beds, unfinished couches, you name it. It looks REALLY obvious, and I get that it's to make hiding "easier" but it also makes getting found easier.

Scenario: You go into a room one game and there's a gaping hole in a bed you come across. The next game, there isn't a hole. Must be someone hiding there, yeah? It's pretty off-putting to see. ALL of the new maps have spots like this where there are holes and "pre-made" spots in furniture, the ground, plants, etc. Team Nectar should closely observe the old maps and note how they don't have things like this, yet are still VERY playable and appealing.
  6. Reultan

Ratings:
    +115
    1. My point being, as I said above - 'Seekers should not know where hiders are before they even start seeking.' Blindness effect isn't as debilitating as you make it out, you can still easily navigate. This isn't necessarily the only solution, but it has started a conversation. If you have any other suggestions feel free to say.

2. Hiders are supposed to hide as seekers are supposed to seek, I don't understand why that is difficult to understand. Just as in TIMV, innocents, detectives and traitors have their roles - if they didn't play the game as it was intended it wouldn't work. Again, feel free to make a suggestion.

3. I can only speak from my own experience, which is no less valid than yours. It simply should not be as extraordinarily difficult to have a chance to kill a seeker.

You can criticize my posts, but don't speak down to me. Thanks.

I totally agree with this. There are too many spots that are obviously designed for players to hide. Problem is, people who play this game often can easily memorize these spots and notice if there is someone there or not. It shouldn't stand out as much as it does. Although it is important to recognize this is not always the case and some of these spots are well placed.