The thread about books!

Discussion in 'Anything Else...' started by Bismark, May 18, 2017.

1. Bismark

Bismark a class guy with class glasses Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,786
    Hello book lovers and others!

After long amounts of discussion with @SinisterLlama, I figured why not bring our discussion to the forums! Talking about books is great, and I would love to hear some more opinions on books and more book recommendations!

Feel free to comment anything about books you like, or books you don't! It can be a quote, your viewpoint on the book, urging everyone to read it, or just simply discussing it! Please feel free to discuss any books!

I'll start by listing some of my favourites!

To Kill A Mockingbird: I genuinely love this book and it has a soft spot in my heart. From the symbolism to demonstrating the persecution of a black man in the 1920s, I think it really is a great book and it has a lot to it. I think it really gives a fair representation of the conditions in a Southern state in the 1920s, I would highly recommend it!

Game of Thrones: The books are superb! They really give an insight into the background of the show itself and help you understand a lot! There are 7 books so far and I would definitely recommend them too!

The Man in the High Castle: the book is set in an alternate timeline in which the Nazi created the nuclear bomb first and won the Second World War. It gives a really interesting twist on things and shows a different kind of resistance arising throughout America, it's also a TV series!

Animal Farm: this one truly is a great read, it is the story of an animal uprising in England, and represents different figures in world power. The pigs are there to represent the Communists in Russia, and how communism indeed was failing in the country. George Orwell truly wrote a great book with this one!

The Great Gatsby: An F. Scott Fitzgerald classic! This book is packed with symbolism that is done perfectly! It's based during the time of prohibition in America and shows Gatsby pursuit for wealth and to try and win the love of Daisy! The book shows that love can be the inevitable downfall for some :(

Angels & Demons: the first book in the Da Vinci code series, I really enjoy this one. It's set in the Vatican at the time of the Pope elections and features some heavy references to the Illuminati, it's a very good read!

The Lord of the Rings: it's an exceptionally long read and some parts are very difficult, but it's great! I really enjoyed the storyline and the background to parts of the movies which I didn't quite understand. It is exceptionally well written and is a timeless classic!

I'm currently reading 1984 too and have a huge list of books I plan to read after. I'm sure I will think of more books to recommend in the future and would love to get some recommendations from you guys!

Happy book discussing!

I'm sry if this is too long
    • Award Worthy Award Worthy x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. Punjeh

Punjeh Famous Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +407
    The moment when you don't really read books... xD
  3. Bismark

Ratings:
    +4,786
    feelsbadman
  4. Evolox

Evolox The Bees Knees

Ratings:
    +1,559
    God, I love the Warriors series.
    no, not the basketball dudes, that's different.
    [​IMG]
    I MEAN THIS!!!!
    Plus I hate it when people say "Warrior Cats" god it's not "Warrior Cats" it's "Warriors" IT SAYS SO ON THE COVER.
    Anyway, the reason why I absolutely love these books is because it have so many traits inside the story.
    • Action
    • Drama
    • Love
    • Comedy (well eh)
    • Magic
    • Idk what else
    It also won't cease to make me cry, feel victorious with revenge of the enemies, amaze me, and more.
    There is such a backstory to it that I absolutely love.
    Long story short, Erin Hunter is a genius, but I have seen some errors in the book before xD.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. DaSushi

DaSushi HnS Ice Bearator ʕ•ᴥ•ʔノ♡ | 日本語 Moderator

Ratings:
    +6,948
    I read a lot of stuff, and have recently gotten into some more "classic" type stuff because we read a lot of that in my IB English class.
    I agree with Mark that The Great Gatsby is a wonderful story. It's so detailed and full of captivating symbolism, and it's rather sad but it has such a strong message and I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.
    Talking about a completely different genre, I absolutely love the Lunar Chronicles series. It's four books, set in a futuristic dystopian society, sort of a mix of sci-fi and fantasy. The series primarily revolves around four main characters who have been given the task of removing a ruthless dictator from power. It is very well written and I would recommend it to anyone.
    I also read graphic novels a lot, and I particularly like ones that are sci-fi or autobiographical. Some of my favorites are American Born Chinese, Maus, and Persepolis.
  6. kwirky

kwirky V.I.BEE Team Nectar Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +4,440
    Who's a book? Nah, just kidding :p

I love these three books. I am actually listening to "To Kill A Mockingbird" right now. I listen to it when I build in Minecraft! :D I finished Lord of the Rings recently - fantastic book of course.

I am also a big fan of "Till We Have Faces" by C. S. Lewis. It's a pretty weird and obscure book, but I was assigned to read it during a class and I loved it. (I'm guess that fewer than 1% of people here have read it before)
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  7. SirFurryWawa

SirFurryWawa V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +9,685
    Tbh Ive tried so hard to enjoy books, forcing myself to read and stuff.... But it's really not my thing :C
  8. Skeino

Skeino V.I.BEE Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +3,571
    Nah man, I don't read books anymore. It'll get to the point one day in the future when grandparents will be saying to their grand-kids, "I remember when we had to read from these things called books. The books would have these things called pages that were made from the material "paper" that was taken from a tree!". And the kids will gasp as they look down at the hologram of information they'll be able to present from the palm of their hand because of a tiny piece of technology that was implanted into and under their skin at birth. Mark my words, it'll happen.
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Epp

Epp The Bees Knees Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +917
    I CRIED FOR TWO HOURS AFTER THE LAST BOOK also erin hunter is a pen name of 4 people

onto the actual topic now:
    • Lord of the Flies: I really hated this book up until Chapter 9 (i think) which was when it got really interesting
    • As stated above: Warriors which is basically Game of Thrones but with cats
    • HARRY POTTER
    • Maximum Ride series (both the original books by James Patterson and the manga by NaRae Lee
    • um
    • lots of mangas so besides that
    • Percy Jackson and The Olympians series (p much an expert in greek/roman mythology now)
    • that's it
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Evolox

Evolox The Bees Knees

Ratings:
    +1,559
    I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!!!!!! and second thing I highlighted, wish I knew Game of Thrones more xD
  11. aphellia

aphellia Well Known Bee Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Two books I really enjoyed were:
    • All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
    • We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach
    I also love milk and honey by Rupi Kaur but that's more poetry :p
  12. The_BloodHound

The_BloodHound V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +2,712
    rn I'm trying to read the Odyssey but it's v confusing to understand (i get the plot but there's too many super long quotes and you have no clue who is talking and what they're talking about)
  13. DaSushi

DaSushi HnS Ice Bearator ʕ•ᴥ•ʔノ♡ | 日本語 Moderator

Ratings:
    +6,948
    @The_BloodHound I read the Odyssey in my freshman English class two years ago. I agree that it's hard to read at first (the writing style takes quite a bit of getting used to and the narrator sometimes seems to flip-flop) but I loved it... It was this amazingly detailed story of love, adventure, and bravery. We got to watch a movie version of it too, and that was pretty cool.
  14. Adeerable

Adeerable The Bees Knees

Ratings:
    +751
    Ayyyy @Bismark glad I could help you out, guess I'll start discussing books and whatnot here now oops

@SirFurryWawa Maybe you haven't found a topic you've liked maybe? Idk what kind of things you read, maybe you've only ready stories and such but you're more of an autobiography and nonfiction person? Maybe you're more of a informative text type? Idk, but one day I hope you learn to read AND enjoy books as for me it's a very rewarding experience.

@Bismark I liked The Great Gatsby, and I love Gatsby as a character, but Daisy infuriates me. In my readings of the book she came off as a superficial and selfish character, and every time her named was mentioned a small sneer of disgust came across my face. Gatsby felt nothing but complete adoration, gave her everything he could to make her happy, and yet she still couldn't give anything back. I feel that this book, while it is a product of it's time, also highlights the hypocrisy of Tom and the ideal of women throughout the era. While Daisy is not allowed to have an affair, to Tom in his mind it is perfectly acceptable for him to cheat on his wife. In George and Myrtle's marriage Myrtle cheats on George and he grew possessive. This reinforces the idea that women are supposed to remain faithful to their husband, while it may be permissible for men to cheat on theirs. Also this gif from the first movie makes me wheeze but that's beside the point.

Also because I feel it it necessary here, a small rant on recent YA novels

What I dislike about a bunch of YA novels is the basic path they've all taken, and you while you can argue some older novels take this route and that it's been going on already, it's something I feel that is become more prevalent. This is merely my opinion, you are free to have your own, and should you be up to discuss any of this I'd be more than happy to.

What I feel a lot of the YA novels are doing now is that they're taking a path that's basically the "formula to success among the superficial" It's a basic formula that goes such as: Hero/Heroine + Clearly Evil Antagonist + Unnecessary Love Triangle That Adds Nothing to the Plot + Catastrophic World Event To Doom All = Successful YA Novel. In my opinion, a lot of these novels seem unripe with any symbolism or deeper meaning, or rather any true literary devices. Many of them are simply there to tell a story, but a truly good story in my beliefs must have some sort of deeper significance or message to convey. This doesn't mean that they are bad stories, they simply aren't really anything too noteworthy. I'll decide to be petty with this and discuss why each one of the factors in that formula are often void of any true substance and how they're really the same book to book.

Generic Hero/Heroine: Usually some boy or girl who lives a normal and carefree life, with whatever parents or lack thereof they have. Usually white, or may have some person of color as a secondary protagonist or best friend there for the ride, but even this is unlikely. Fits along the lines of a generic protagonist, with mostly positive traits mentioned such as "brave", "kind", and "responsible" and usually without much character growth.
    Clearly Evil Antagonist: The beef I have with these kind of antagonists is that they're very one dimensional. Stories that follow this formula usually lump all characters into the story as either "morally good" or "morally bad." All characters in these books are either very clearly good or very clearly bad. There never really seem to be any morally grey characters or characters that are unaligned, or even more rare, a very thin or transparent moral spectrum or even a lack of, characters who are simply following orders/instincts/feelings or are lost completely. These antagonists are very simple, they are out to do evil for the sole purpose of doing evil, in contrast an anatogonist doing something wrong in hopes that it would help their people or help something close to them.
    Unnecessary Love Triangle That Adds Nothing to the Plot: This is the device that I see being poorly used and handled over and over again, tossed in to add "suspense" when in reality it's the thickener in a juice that makes it feel more substantial but really adds no nutritional value whatsoever. Usually it's an empty shell of a plot, (think Twilight) and distracts from the real and important plot. (P.S: How to tell if a love triangle plot is useless: If you subtract the love triangle and the plot remains the same/still makes sense, it's unnecessary) It usually follows the heteronormative girl-guy-guy or guy-girl-girl, and rarely throws in any lesbian/gay love interests in, and if they do, most likely they end up dead, as per most novels. Often a poorly executed excuse to kill off a character.
    Catastrophic World Event to Doom All: A lot of the time, these events are either caused by the needless and mindless misdoings of the Clearly Evil Antagonist or simply part of a prophecy that the Generic Hero/Heroine must fulfill. Often unnecessary and one-dimensional and/or rarely shows off the severity of the situation, more just overhyping itself as a Dangerous Event(tm). Stopped mostly through either a stupidly easy task or a stupidly hard task. Would be much better if it was relevant to the whole situation/some other real world event.

That's really all I have to say about it??? But heck man I'm an angery and bitter bean.
    You're all welcome, and btw @Bismark do you that people could submit writing/short stories here, or is there already a thread for that? O:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Award Worthy Award Worthy x 2
    • List
  15. Bismark

Ratings:
    +4,786
    This book sound brilliant, I'll put it on my read list asap!

I love books where you can see a dystopian society! There is something about it I find super interesting and I just love a twist on life as know it. I'll try read them for sure!

I've always wanted to read Lord of the Flies and I think i'll defos try to! I find the Harry Potter books quite entertaining and would recommend them, but at a lot of parts I think the writing quality could have been better :(

To Kill a Mockingbird is a godsend! I love the character of Atticus and the ways you can see he really is a good man, the book is so sad, yet happy at the end as the same time. It's strange but it's great! The Lord of the Rings really is fantastic!

I'd definitely like to try read some C. S. Lewis, I visited the place where he wrote Narnia and where J. R. Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings, it was the same place! Ty for the recommendations!

I'm taking you for your word on this, if this doesn't happen then I won't know what to believe in anymore

More books for my reading list yay! A bit of poetry is always great too, I'll try read them!!

Is this the book that they made the movie, A space odyssey from?

@SirFurryWawa listen to what Kaelin has to say! There must be a book for everyone!

Daisy is perhaps one of the characters I have hated the most in a book ever. Gatsby was blinded by love for her, but little did he know the love was unrequited :(. The movie really is representative on the prohibition era is a sad way, men dominated society in a way that no man should and the separate spheres of society were heavily enforced, men would work and control their wives, while women were there purely to be a housewife to the man. Tom is a leading example of how men could get away with nearly anything and scrutinise their wives when they did the same thing. His double standards are truly shocking. Both Tom and Daisy are responsible for Myrtle's death in different ways, with Tom driving George to become possessive and leading to the argument on that night, and Daisy being the one driving the car and killing her. Gatsby is too innocent and blinded by love, so will gladly take the blame to keep Daisy from harm. In end Tom and Daisy retreat having destroyed people's lives, they truly are a horrible couple. The book is written so well that it gives you an utter distaste from there.

The book also has quotes which I love too!

I would love to read some of the YA novels you are talking about and maybe share your anger toward them!

I think it would be great to see some short stories here, I think there was a thread for it before, but we can have them here too!
    • Award Worthy Award Worthy x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. The_BloodHound

The_BloodHound V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +2,712
    No, The Odyssey by Homer is one of the first books ever made :p It's a classic Greek Mythology book.
  17. Jeanekokun

Jeanekokun V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +3,391
    Yet I'm triggered when people say „Warriors“ instead of „Warrior Cats“, hah. It says „Warrior Cats“ on the cover of the books I have. :p

Anyways yeah, it's been years since I've read books, rip.
    All about mangas now.
  18. UltimateMilkDud

UltimateMilkDud The Bees Knees Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,332
    Some of my favorites are:
    -Harry Potter
    -Lord of the Rings
    -The Giver
    -Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    -Great Expectations
    -Robinson Crusoe
    -The Maze Runner
    -Holes (One of my all time favs)
    -Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of Baskerville
    -Hatchet
    -The Golden Compass
    -Fahrenheit 451
    -Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children
    -The Da Vinci Code
    -Kensuke's Kingdom (Amazing book!)
    -Private Peaceful
    -War Horse

Will continue updating!
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Award Worthy Award Worthy x 1
    • List
  19. Crumpet

Crumpet The Bees Knees Gold Member

Ratings:
    +3,034
    i like reading this book called the bible (i dont know if many people have heard of it, its pretty obscure) although it gets a bit confusing at some points
    but rly i barely ever read i have been kind of reading the assassins creed series but you can kind of tell its been adapted from a game cos of how clear the objectives and stuff are
    i mostly just read the internet now
    • Like Like x 1
    • Award Worthy Award Worthy x 1
    • List
  20. OggyFoxy

OggyFoxy V.I.BEE Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +3,053
    um i read minecraft books guide and kitchen food pizza books luuuul