The state of The Hive: Java Edition

Discussion in 'Minor Announcements' started by HiveTeam, Aug 29, 2019.

1. MrToughNinja

MrToughNinja Famous

Ratings:
    +9
    I'm sorry, I don't mean this to come across as insulting or rude, but if you believe that your server at this current moment provides a "clean" experience, you're deluded, and quite frankly should go see the state of it yourself, I'm only complaining because there are such easy fixes to the problems your server has but I personally get the impression that you don't even care anymore seeing as you're player count has decreased, and player count is significant. It's where your revenue comes from so when it comes down to it you have to care.

Let me clarify because it seems you didn't understand. I said "was", the past tense. This server was majority built and famous only because of its sg community from around 2013-2015, it's such a fall from grace to see what has turned into compared to the good days but hey that's just my opinion, I'm not saying the server is complete trash, but it is definitely not as good as it could be.

It's possible but personally it's very unlikely in my opinion, you can say I'm a pessimist but seeing the way hypixel is currently growing and how many content creators play and advertise their server daily, it's hard to see a reality where hive would grow.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2019
  2. JollyajaX

JollyajaX Code Monkey/Pixel Pusher Hive Owner

Ratings:
    +13,162
    I don't think there are many ways you can tell someone they're deluded and it is not rude.

Just because our focus not might line up with your point of view, it doesn't mean you should be rude. As per the original post, part of the reason we're re-coding a lot of our systems is so we can make fixes. If we didn't care, we wouldn't be spending the countless hours of dev time to do this. The Hive is a combination of a lot of great games, and it shouldn't be boxed into things it provides.

Luckily, I know that our community is filled with critical-thinking individuals that understand this. I hope you can come to see that we're trying to improve things and create a great platform to take us forward into the future.

Thank you to every one positive about this news, it means a lot!
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • List
  3. Snow3222

Snow3222 Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +263
    You will always get people like this. I was very critical of hive before this thread was made due to the lack of communication. But honestly, all it takes is a small update to let players know whats going on. I now have high hopes for The Hives future! Hopefully you can regularly update us on what's happening behind the scenes.
  4. Hwamz

Hwamz The Bees Knees Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +2,118
    Would tournaments be considered this winter again? They were really fun in 2017 summer.
  5. Juracan

Juracan Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +633
    Ok did you even read the thread? They said that even updating little things, easy fixes as you call them, are a pain for the devs to work around because of the outdated code.

Speaking of outdated, living in the past doesn't help either. Comparing 2014 with 2019 just doesn't work, games evolve and so does their community. I know Hypixel is a special case, but compared to other big servers Hive: Java is doing perfectly fine compared to other java servers.

I'm also pretty sure that the team is aware of the current situation, and that they're not deluded. Myles is online pretty much daily, and when you speak to him directly or send a PM, those easy fixes are more likely to get fixed.
  6. Nogget

Nogget McDonalds Employee

Ratings:
    +378
    Cough Could we bring the old Hide and Seek hub back? Cough
    Please
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. Zyons

Zyons Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +143
    Is it the 2017 one with the beach/palm tree and wooden-like hub and surrounded by water? If yes, then I don't mind having it return too :)
  8. Nogget

Nogget McDonalds Employee

Ratings:
    +378
    yes, the og HnS hub
  9. Snow3222

Ratings:
    +263
    I suggest that ALL old hubs should return! The Hide and Seek one was particularly amazing as were all the others!
  10. Juracan

Ratings:
    +633
    +1 for the old hubs, even tho I barely remember them. It would make the hub feel less cramped and it'd give new games, the arcade and SG a bigger appeal.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. Snow3222

Ratings:
    +263
    Totally, OITC, Drawit and Splegg used to have their own hubs to themselves. It would be very nice to have those back and also hubs for some of the other popular arcade games.
  12. Juracan

Ratings:
    +633
    The main problem would probably be popularity. A separate hub for OITC for example would just be sitting there, almost completely dead. The only game that lives up to "separate hub popularity" is splegg imo.
    I'd love to see the arcade get for example the current hub as a separate "arcade hub". The hub slots could be designed for specific arcade games without having to give them a whole new hub.
  13. Snow3222

Ratings:
    +263
    I disagree, OITC is quite popular PLUS it already had a hub specifically made for it including drawit.
  14. NotGratzi

NotGratzi The Bees Knees

Ratings:
    +997
    Some nice news.. Can’t wait man, pumped for a updated Hive!

Great luck to the developers! ;)
  15. Hwamz

Hwamz The Bees Knees Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +2,118
    Yeah the issue with that is because its now a arcade game because it lost popularity hence it was put into arcade. I don't see the reason to make a seperate hub for it you might aswell make a seperate hub for every single arcade game if you do that.
  16. Snow3222

Ratings:
    +263
    I think that would be a good idea. Each game having its own unique hub again will just make arcade games not feel so neglected.

Only issue I see with doing this is it becoming expensive for the owners to run.
  17. Juracan

Ratings:
    +633
    I think it said somewhere in the thread that Hive now has more resources than ever before, and seeing that they could do the different lobbies in the past it shouldn't be too big of a jump to do it again. After all, games like RR, MM, BD or SPL only need one lobby running.
  18. MylesDev

MylesDev Software Engineer Hive Developer

Ratings:
    +1,000
    We're hoping to take what SG:Classic players like about SGN and "squish" them together. That being said, we're not going to be supporting 1.7 - the server itself will have 1.7 features, such as enchanting, fishing rod logic, etc.

We understand that SG players like 1.7, but you have to understand is its a 5, nearly 6 year old game version. We are no longer interested in spending development time to support this, especially with everything else that is going on. We have so much planned for the future after the new Java is released, and we want SG to be able to be apart of that! However they can't with a 5 year old version.
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Award Worthy Award Worthy x 1
    • List
  19. Juracan

Ratings:
    +633
    Are there any updates planned for before the revamp gets released? Or will it be the next major server update?
  20. MylesDev

MylesDev Software Engineer Hive Developer

Ratings:
    +1,000
    No. As mentioned in the original post, we're rewriting everything, so there's no point updating games to have to add the same update to the rewritten version.