The state of The Hive: Java Edition

Discussion in 'Minor Announcements' started by HiveTeam, Aug 29, 2019.

1. HiveTeam

HiveTeam Official Post Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,443
    We've heard the concerns from the community recently regarding Hive: Java Edition and wanted to take the time to address these. Don't worry, it's good news!

Many of you noticed there's been a distinct lack of updates for the Java server recently. That's absolutely true. As it currently stands, we're not focusing time on updating the current Java server; other than critical bugs.

Why?

Some have assumed that we're focusing more on our Bedrock server. This is not the case. The Hive has more resources now than we've ever had. We have a wonderfully talented development team dedicated to working on Java, and Java alone. So... where are the updates?

The Hive was founded in 2013. This means a lot of our systems and infrastructure are very outdated. As more and more games have been added, maintaining them has become an enormous task. Also, poor code practices accrued through the years means it's now wildly expensive to run.

The past 18 months of Java have been losing us money. Java costs us more money to host 4000 online players than Bedrock costs us to host 17000.

So, this led to some decisions having to be made. Should we continue updating the current server, wasting dev time as they battle with outdated frameworks and game code? Or should we fix the problems?

We're fixing the problems.

The entire Java team is working on a brand new version of The Hive. Initially, it will just be a clone of what you know and love. Things will look the same (for the most part), and games will play the same. The difference is, it'll be running on a brand new framework and server infrastructure. Once this is done, game updates and new features will be much easier to do.

This is when we'll be able to really dive deep into all of your excellent suggestions. They're not being ignored, and we appreciate anyone that takes the time to submit an idea to help improve the server.

And yes, all your data and stats are safe!

Lag has already been one of our main focuses as of recent, upgrading all of our hardware to 12 threaded-processors and improving internal network connectivity. However, we shall see an even more significant performance improvement with code that wasn't written in 2013.

There's no time frame on when this will be ready. We're working as fast as we can, but we want to do it right. We want to provide the best service we can, and I hope you all understand that, even if you're irritated at the current situation. Many other servers would have shut down as soon as it's not profitable enough, but we really do care about providing something awesome.

In general, The Hive is doing great. We've hit over 17,000 online players on our Bedrock server, which has allowed us to bring on a new staff manager, a community manager, and we're currently hiring even more people. We're expanding our dev team, including a dedicated anti-cheat developer, and more management to give us the hands we need to make awesome stuff.

We hope you can understand our decisions here, and how in the long run it'll be a remarkable improvement.

Thank you!
    The Owners
    • Like x 47
    • HYPE! x 22
    • Optimistic x 9
    • Award Worthy x 4
    • Friendly x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
  2. SirFurryWawa

SirFurryWawa V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +9,645
    Thank you, very cool
  3. Kelevra317

Kelevra317 Honey Maker Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +119
    keep up the good work!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. cody14__

cody14__ Well Known Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +14
    wow thanks
  5. Caro

Caro V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +19,332
    Woah thank you so much Hive Team! ❤️ This is indeed very good news and I am really looking forward to it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Award Worthy Award Worthy x 1
    • List
  6. Minti

Minti Mintirator Moderator

Ratings:
    +7,115
    Very glad to hear this :) Big thanks to the Hive Team for keeping us in the loop, definitely looking forward to seeing what's to come.
    I hope with this update we get a few new maps for gamemodes too! :D <3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Shadowphax

Shadowphax Night Owl Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,514
    Very much looking forward to what is to come! :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  8. bunny119

bunny119 Honey Maker Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Thank you Hive!! I love this server so much and I'm glad to see what you guys are doing!!
  9. Vaneskah

Vaneskah V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +6,539
    Absolutely take your time! Better to get it right than to be rushed. Best of luck!
  10. Liferay

Liferay The Bees Knees

Ratings:
    +206
    Awesome!
  11. Zyons

Zyons Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +106
    Honestly excited for what you guys are planning for us - new gamemodes, quality of life updates..!
    And thank you for addressing these issues which hopefully eases most of our worrying :)
  12. Jxcobo

Jxcobo Honey Maker Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Not all superheroes wear capes, but it’d be cool if you guys did too. But awesome to hear, can’t wait :)
  13. Gargant

Gargant Regular Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Great news! Can't wait for the update.
  14. Wishfvl

Wishfvl Well Known Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +225
    This is great to hear! Honestly got a little scared in the middle when you spoke about shutting it down :c
  15. Hwamz

Hwamz The Bees Knees Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +2,034
    (ajaX)Thank you for addressing these issues the contact between The dev team and players has been very poor recently I’m glad this can be done. I would also look over suggestions again that couldn’t be done in the past as they would be a very good idea now. Like guilds/clans as bedrock has them and the possibility to rejoin the game if you aren’t kicked for hacking but for other (also to get the win if you lag out but your team still wins)
  16. DreamEagleLore73

DreamEagleLore73 Famous Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +838
    Really cool that you guys are doing this - a lot of people including myself looking forward to it :)
  17. Scmuel

Scmuel Mooderator Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,133
    It’s great to hear this, take your time, it’ll be worth the wait!

Best of luck to the developers!

Looking forward to the future. :D

(bee)
  18. MylesDev

MylesDev Software Engineer Hive Developer

Ratings:
    +942
    As said in the post, we'll be looking into community suggestions once we've released this rewrite and we know its stable. Thankfully though with our new frameworks and systems, things like guilds/clans and rejoining games will be much easier and take less time to implement.
    • HYPE! HYPE! x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Haton

Haton German Moderator Moderator

Ratings:
    +146
    Thats realy nice news! :)
  20. Juracan

Juracan Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +596
    Glad to hear Java is not being given up on! As always, take your time. Quality over quantity. It's a whole different scenario if we know what exactly we're waiting for c; .