Sparing discussion!

Discussion in 'Hide and Seek' started by Smugan, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smugan

Smugan Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +55
    Hello there!

Recently, I came across a thread where people were discussing sparing in HnS. Link here: https://forum.hivemc.com/threads/should-sparing-be-considered-illegal-teaming.305005/
    I think this thread was shut down a bit too early. There were a lot of good points from both sides of the debate, and I reckon there's still a lot more that could be discussed!

Personally I believe that sparing is against the rules, and people should be banned for it. But something that a lot of people brought up is that it's really hard to tell when someone is sparing a hider. So, people who think sparing should not be allowed, how do we tell when someone is sparing or not? Will the hider who is being spared be banned too? And what if they were AFK and had no idea they were being spared?
    And people who think sparing should be allowed, convince me! You bring up a lot of good points about sparing, but they don't really address the core issue that sparing is going against the role of the seeker.

I think that there's a lot we can gain as a community from talking about a topic like this instead of leaving it as is. There are too many uncertainties surrounding sparing, so it would be good to talk them out.

Thanks for reading!

-S
  2. _Burnt

_Burnt Famous Gold Member

Ratings:
    +6
    As far as I know sparing was allowed and encouraged until recently. I've been playing hide and seek since 2013 and I have never seen a single person complain about sparing until I heard it became bannable this year. Sure some people might get more xp or points if they live an extra minute longer on Hearthstone, but seriously, WHO CARES? How is this even an issue? Most higher rank players get the majority their points from seeking anyways! If I'm seeking on lotus am I required to target the hiders on the balcony? Because I know for certain that theres hiders on that balcony. If I don't check a few "pro spots" on Hotel, CS_Office, or Industria right away am I going to get banned? Seeing as this rule isn't going to change anythime soon I will continue targetting good spots to avoid being banned.
  3. Walrat

Walrat V.I.BEE Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,878
    I complain about sparing. It is illegal teaming. It's just a way for people to point-boost their friends and themselves. Really, it's not that hard to play HNS without sparing. People just lazy and wanna cheat to get points.
  4. Cari

Cari Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +158
    @Walrat, i disagree with that under certain condition. Ill explain it with an example:
    Within the v2.5 update seeking has become very popular, even more as it was already. Integrate that a certain map has only a limited amount of spots, and with the upcoming popularity of seeking, most of them are useless, the considered "good" spots will be known very fast as well. So where do you wanna hide, if you get found anyways? You can almost agree that the best spot to hide in is at the end of the seekers route, or just a random spot. Because every other good known spot will be rushed in the first 20 seconds because otherwise its considered sparing (and random spots get found anyways).

A comon misconception you as well as many people have is that people only spare for boosting point. Firstly the amount of points you gain more is maybe 50p, probably even less per round. Worth it, right? You could better say its for boosting blockexpericence, if so.
    From my perpective, and i played this game a lot, hiding is already underrated enough (if you wanna point boost, you simpy seek), and with the above given example, its simply less fun to hide as it already is. You die early on because your "pro" spot is known anyways. If you spare people you know, in spots you know, they have a bit more fun, it neither changes the gameoutcome.

I dont care anymore about sparing because i simply dont seek anymore and slay everyone i see to get out of its way. Because otherwise, if they dont see me, and i dont attack them, its considered sparing as well. (happened to me, so...)

I know that there are many rounds played in which nothing what i said above happens, but its the truth behind sparing.
  5. Asheras

Asheras The Bees Knees Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +6,095
    Honestly @Skyela did a great job answering all of the questions asked in this thread here. It was locked for a reason. If you had further questions, you could have privately messaged her.

I’m all for discussions, and am one of the people that doesn’t find sparing to be that harmful as long as they get killed before the game ends. However, rules ARE rules and you should respect that they will not change, no matter how many threads are created. If anything, it makes the situation worse.

Quoted from Skyela from the other thread:

The rules are the rules, and you are not going to be able to change them. I have made it clear that sparing is considered illegal teaming and that it will have consequences. Whether or not you to continue to spare is out of my control, but I highly recommend that you take what I've said into consideration.
  6. xOutcast

xOutcast Moderator | Community Feedback Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,098
    Hey, there.
    As a senior moderator has made the decision on sparing, that is the way it will stay. The link mentioned is where any info on the matter can be found.
    If unclear on anything here, you can message myself, and if anything regarding sparing, feel free to message Skyela, myself, or any other staff member.
    Thread Locked
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.