Running: How to do it and how to deal with it

Discussion in 'Hide and Seek' started by TNTDragonMC, Aug 14, 2018.

1. TNTDragonMC

TNTDragonMC V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +2,777
    If you've seen me in-game, then you know I mainly run around for the entire game rather than just sit in a single hiding/trolling spot. It makes it more interesting, and every game is unique as you never get the exact same scenario.

Now by following a guide on 'how to run' in reverse, it can serve as the best anti-running guide, so I thought I'd spare you the trouble and compress the most important parts into a separate spoiler down below. Enjoy!

To be clear, this is a guide on how to run as a playstyle. If you're just looking for a guide to help you run away when a seeker finds you, this will work, but it's an overkill.

To start off, the 10 commandments of a Hide and Seek Runner:
    1. Learn the loops. This is the very first thing you have to do with any map you want to try and run on – learn its layout. As an example, I will use Cruise (pardon the poorly made graphic)
      [​IMG]
      Note how Cruise has 2 big circles – one on the bottom floor and one on the top floor. Those are your main paths. If you want to run successfully, you must be able to never stop. The only way to do that is to run in a closed loop, That's why I didn't sketch the side-rooms, because while most of them have a tiny loop you can use to loose a single seeker, they should not be your main path.
    2. Move to the place with most available escape paths. Your goal should always be to have as many ways to make your next move as possible. For instance, if the map has multiple levels, like Cruise, it is often the case that you can jump down from the top level to the bottom one freely. In the case of the image above, you can almost always jump down from the blue loop to the green one, but not vice versa. This means that, if you can, you want to always aim to get to the blue loop rather than stick to the green one.
    3. Change loops often. This one's pretty simple. Seekers aren't dumb, if they see you're going in a single circle, they'll stop chasing you and instead block off your path. By changing your loops often and in an unpredictable manner, you can avoid that issue (after going 2x within a loop is a good moment to change it). This ties into the next point:
    4. Be aware of as many seekers as you can. This is actually important for multiple reasons:
      • Seekers can block off your path, and if you're being chased then that can often mean the end for you. If you see a seeker on your loop, consider changing paths (consider, sometimes it's better to ignore them and just go)
      • It's important that you know how many people (around) are chasing you. The more seekers are following you, the more spread out they will be, which means you need longer paths to not get caught. For instance if one or two seekers are chasing you, you can run around a market place on, say, Hearthstone without much of an issue. If that number goes up to 5, then one of those seekers may be slow enough to be far enough behind so that you 'lap' him, crossing paths. It's hard to explain, just be aware that different tactics will work for a handful of seekers compared to a crowd.
      • You may need to keep an eye out on who dies and when. This applies to maps like Cruise or Hearthstone, where the seeker spawn is in the very center of the map. Having a seeker spawn in on your path can be game over.
    5. Remember that a hit does 4 hearts of damage. This sounds obvious but is actually really important. Getting hit by a seeker can give you a boost out of a rough situation, or knock you across an otherwise unmakable jump (Nexus City for instance). Comes at a cost of 4 hearts, but is sometimes well worth it.
    6. Parkour effectively, not spectacularly. This is a mistake many (including myself) do. You try and do a fancy jump that you know is possible, and you fail, only to then be pinned to a wall by everyone chasing you. Yes, fancy jumps make for interesting runs and great jukes (for instance you can do a 180 jump around the pillars on the top floor of Cruise or Nexus. Seekers right behind you will jump off the floor while you stay on it) but their reliability is questionable. It's often best to tone it down to just the simplest of parkours – simple jumps to shorten your time around a corner, a little something to confuse a seeker; things that help you rather than make you look amazing. (Just because you can, doesn't mean you should) Additionally, remember that if there is a faster/equally good option to do something without parkour, then the seeker will choose that option most of the time over attempting to follow you in your footsteps. Which again ties neatly into the next point:
    7. Seekers don't follow your every move. This is something that, if you run, you will be painfully reminded of a lot. Seekers can cut corners when you don't, use parkour that you didn't, wait at the exit of the room you're in etc. As stated in point 4, you should be aware of where the seekers are, but it's hard to look at their precise locations, especially if they're right behind you. Because of that you need to minimize the time it takes to move between any two points on your path. This leads to some obvious results, such as "it's best to run in a straight line" but also ones such as "It's best not to do sharp turns because they make you stop, which in the end takes more time than a slightly longer turn along a curve."
    8. Seekers don't see your every move. This is important for two reasons.
      • he seeker has some sort of a FOV, meaning they don't see behind them usually, and even right off to the sides. Additionally, the 'viewing box' starts at eye-level, meaning that you can almost stand inside of the seeker and they won't notice (do keep in mind your block is 'fat' and extends past the seekers legs) It's always helpful to imagine what part of the map the seeker can see, sort of like this:
        [​IMG]
      • Even if a seeker is following you, their FOV can be obscured – be it a cat blocking their screen or, more likely, a block or a wall in their way. You can see seeker nicks through walls, but not vice versa. This gives you a huge advantage in ways you can loose seekers: After you go around the corner, there is a short blind spot for anyone chasing you. This is when you can re-hide real quick behind a wall, and let all the seekers pass you like they do in cartoons.
    9. Seekers don't know your every move. They have a certain reaction time between noticing whatever you're doing and acting accordingly. This is the basis of any and all jukes you're going to do: You do something unexpected, and before the seeker can react you're already done with the move. A few examples include: waiting behind a corner for a seeker, and then running right back where you came from, or even doing a sudden 180 on the spot. Jumping 'off' the Cruise bar onto the near-by bush, causing seekers to jump down while you can jump right back onto the bar. Or the already mentioned 180 jump around a pillar to fool the seekers. However, do notice that this only works for seekers that are immediately behind you. Juking a crowd via reaction time is impossible, you need to use environment for that (mainly walls to block view of yourself)
    10. Never be a flower pot. Unless this is the only block you don't have max level on, or you forgot to choose a block on the map, nothing excuses the choice of a pot when you know you're just going to run around for as long as you can. It's choosing the easy way out, and not in the good way, but an annoying one.
    The above 'rules' are basically all you need for running well, but below I have a few extra general tips you may like to use:
    • Find yourself starting positions on maps. It helps to start from a single point every time you run, and gives you some recognition by people you've met before if you're in the game with them again. Personally, I prefer places where I can see the seeker spawn – an ice spike on Frozen, balcony on Cruise, right above the spawn on Hotel, etc.
    • Remember that spamming spacebar in a two-block high tunnel will make you go faster. Use this in places where there is a short low-ceiling, as it can give you a nice little boost.
    • Don't be afraid to attack a seeker – especially if they're standing on an edge of a balcony or other high structure. Knocking them off is fun, but there are moments when knocking a seeker away is a must: when they're blocking your path or could potentially be an issue. Don't do it too often as you don't stand a chance against a crowd of seekers, but keep in mind that you have knockback on your sword for a reason.
    • If you think a map is too easy for you – restrict yourself. Make it so you can't go into certain houses, can only go unsolid by getting hit by someone, or that you have to follow seekers close enough for you to have the heartbeat go off constantly.
    • And speaking of the heartbeat, keep it on. Tells you if someone is near-by, very useful.
    Finally, in the spoiler below you can see all maps ranked easiest to hardest to run on. (Please note this is very subjective) If you're just starting off, I suggest moving top to bottom on the list, although you may want to skip a few maps.
    1. Bora Bora
    2. Town Square: Revamped
    3. Lotus
    4. Frozen
    5. Space
    6. Paris
    7. Animal Village
    8. Keep
    9. Before Space
    10. Shipyard
    11. Oasis
    12. Sunset Terrace
    13. Pripyat
    14. Talavera
    15. Kingston
    16. CS_Office
    17. Nexus City
    18. Chinatown
    19. Hotel California
    20. Hospital
    21. Villa
    22. Goldrush
    23. Hotel
    24. Pineapple Port
    25. Cruise
    26. Sequoia
    27. Heathstone Village
    28. Industria
    29. Venice Bridge
    So you're a seeker, or just so happen to have to be seeking for one reason or another, and you just so happen to see a hider run past you, or a block you found ran away. What to do?

Well, first off identify the threat. There are Runners and there are runners (note the capital R). The former run as a playstyle, the latter run to try and survive. If you have a Runner, chasing them may waste a lot of your time, so instead go looking for more hiders to help you catch them. If it's just a runner then it may be simpler to catch the, as they're likely to make a mistake on the first obstacle.
    Of course, you have to be smart here. Don't go running after the hider if he's running straight into another seeker (let them kill it), or if the map is big (like Bora or TS: Revamped), or if there is lots of ice (Hearthstone, Frozen etc.). Do chase after them if it's one of the newer maps, such as Talavera or Sequoia, as the large amount of decorative blocks can be a pain to run away.

Now assuming you followed instructions above, you'll reach a point when all hiders left are not actually hiding. Most likely they'll all be Runners, unless it's a map such as Lotus that makes it way too easy for people to run on. For the sake of the argument, let's assume all the players left have read this guide and know how to run. What to do now?

Well, there are two options:
    1. Outplay them. This is basically exactly what it sounds like. If you think you're better than the Runner you can chase them down. Nobody is perfect, and one of you will make a mistake at one point. Going with this option you should be certain that you're the better one here.
    2. Outsmart them. A Runner should try to always have an escape route, but there is only so many they can take. You often have to run a different way than the Runner to get a better chance at killing them. There are a few effective ways:
      • Stand at an entrance to a room. If a hider entered a room/area with only one exit, standing at the exit is effectively the best solution, as other seekers will chase the Runner right into you
      • Block a main pathway. There are many maps where the Runner will go in a few main circles. moving between them to not seem too repetitive. For instance, the staircases on Cruise allow you to switch between the bottom and the top circle. Stand on one and the Runner will either fall right into your lap, or will die due to limited staircase options
      • Take a shorter path. Even though Runners try and minimize the time they take to move from point A to B, sometimes they won't do it. For instance if they pass a tree and turn right behind it, it'll be faster for you to turn right in front of the tree, saving you a second or two. Loosing sight of a Runner can be helpful at times, but only if you have other seekers chasing him. Otherwise you may actually loose them in that second or two without eye contact.
      • Shift behind a wall. This sounds silly, but is the leading cause of death for me. If a seeker is shifting, you can't see their nick, which means a Runner may run straight into you. This does require some patience/luck, but if you can figure out where the Runner will go to next, and hide there before they can see you're hiding there, then you got yourself a victory.
    That's about it, really. Runners aren't that hard to catch once you know their tricks, they are simply annoying if you try and outplay them on easier maps.

And that's about it I think. This took a while to write out, but I was lacking a guide like this so... hope you enjoyed!
    • Award Worthy Award Worthy x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. EatMarkers

EatMarkers Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +173
    Interesting. Very good strats and this will be useful for a lot of people Good job! :)
  3. TheWildBurger

TheWildBurger Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +25
    I just hate runners. They are in my opinion, the most annoying type of player, worse even than main seeker players! Luckly, there aren't so many running type players.
    Well, I'm not very good at running, so, its easly to run from me. At Lotus is very very annoying when someone good runs in the in the ice.
    My two weaknesses as a seeker at Hide and Seek are runners and lots of blocks (3+) trying to kill me with the wooden sword.
    Thank you for this thread. It will really help me if some runner appears! :)
  4. captainsnake

captainsnake Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +701
    Wow, I don't play much H&S but now just by seeing this forum post, it seems like a really complicated game, I used to think it was just "wait in the right spot" and not this! Cool!
  5. DarthKyloo

DarthKyloo Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting post, I've noticed people running a lot more often but the only map which is difficult to chase on is Bora Bora.
  6. kwirky

kwirky V.I.BEE Team Nectar Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +4,475
    Very cool post! I respect people who are skilled at running a lot more now. I never do it, though, because I like to be able to gain points from taunting :p
    I'll try to take the "loops" aspect into account when building future hide and seek maps so that this gameplay style is neither overpowered or impossible to pull off.
  7. Sayiur

Sayiur Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    Yer My kind of player. You don't sit in corners and hope ye win ;)