Randomly getting disconnected from minecraft?

Discussion in 'Anything Else...' started by Gargant, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Gargant

Gargant Well Known Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +74
    So, first of all, I put this question here because it is not Hive related.
    Since I've changed my router from an Asus one to a Dlink, I've been having this issue with discord, Minecraft and basically all of the games I'm playing where I randomly get disconnected. On discord, I've noticed I am not getting disconnected, I just stop hearing everyone. On Minecraft and league of legends, on the other hand, I get kicked out of the server / have to reload the game.
    I think it must be something with my connection to the servers, some firewall coming up...
    If anyone has any suggestions, please help me.
    I did not find anything anywhere, I am really desperate.

Have a nice day and make sure to stay hydrated!
  2. nik9094

nik9094 The Bees Knees Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Unsure of why that would happen, haven't had a similar situation in ages.
    Check your modem settings, provider's capabilities and limits, make various speedtests with all your devices, and if possible use Ethernet on laptops/PCs after a wifi test and so on... If nothing here works, you can try those few things (Windows 10):

Clear DNS cache:
    Press your windows key and type "cmd", select command prompt and run it as administrator. In the black window, type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press enter. The command should run and clear your cache, and give a feedback on successful execution.
    Note: You will not lose any password, login information etc in any program from doing this.

Another way of doing this is by using the program CCleaner (linked) and under the function "Custom Clean" scroll down to the "System" section and select "DNS Cache" (you may want to customize other parameters in case you want to keep certain things). Then, start the cleaning by clicking "Analyze" and after it's done click "Run Cleaner". You may also try with the "Registry" function - "Scan For Issues" - (after done) "No" - "Fix all selected issues".​

Update Network Card's drivers:
    Press your windows key, type "device manager" and press enter. A window with all your system's devices will pop up. From there, search for "Network Cards" and open the list. Here you might see a long list of devices, most of which start with "WAN" or similar. In my case I have a device called Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller so I'll right click it and choose "update drivers". Your PC/laptop may have different devices.
    Or try reinstalling apps...

I wouldn't know how to go about Firewall settings unfortunately, in any case Google might help. One last thing I'd like to point out is:

Your modem might have an easy-to-access settings page or app, but in other cases you have to put the modem's default IP in Google. It's usually
    192.168.1.1 or so. To make sure, the default IP should be written in your modem's labels or manuals. If not, go in internet settings, then select "Wi-Fi" or "Ethernet" and on the right select "Modify Board Settings" (or something like that), a window should pop up - right click the (only, hopefully) device and select "Status". On the following window select details and look for "Default Gateway IPv4" and you'll read your modem's default IP.

I hope any of this is helpful, other than what I said I'm not too certain of what you could do. Some names may be different because I had to translate them from Italian. In ANY case Google is your friend, just ask good questions :p
    Remember to reboot!

EDIT: In Command Prompt you can also use the
    ping command to make sure (more reliable/precise than ingame plugins). For Hive you should have luck by just typing ping premium.hivemc.eu. For discord though, I have no clue...
  3. Gargant

Ratings:
    +74
    Ok, thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately, the problem is all across my devices: my laptop, pc and a friend's laptop too (who came to visit). It definitely isn't my pc the problem.

Another thing to note is that I do not actually get disconnected from the network. When I get this lag, time out or whatever it is, my pc can still run the internet.

For instance, I am watching an online movie or listening to music and the music won't stop.

If I try reconnecting, it will work, but just the fact that I get kicked is annoying. When this happens with my discord for example, my friends can still hear me, but I just can't hear them.

I tried also googling, but no results, could not find anything like this.
  4. nik9094

Ratings:
    +1,030
    In this case I suggest looking carefully at your modem's settings and change up whatever helps (password can be left out). Other than this I'd just think it's your actual internet speed...
    - Do you have this kind of lag on any kind of service/website and server?
    Testing many services will give everyone a better idea of what the issue is.​
    - Do a speedtest with Ookla (linked). If the download speed is below 8Mbps and fluctuating, I'd pretty much call it a day considering how low it is.
    Doing this with WiFi will show lower values because some data may be lost from modem to device. Using an ethernet cable will not only be more stable, but will also show better results. If you have a short ethernet cable you may connect right to the modem (maybe you have switch boxes, longer cables etc). ​
    - An issue may also be Wi-Fi coverage. Not every modem can supply enough signal in the whole house and many need a (thirdparty, generally) repeater which you'll put in strategic locations to cover as much as possible.
    Many modems nowadays can send WiFi at 2.4GHz and 5GHz, the first being weaker but has more reach (hardly goes "through" walls but can reach further), the second is stronger but smaller reach (passes "through" walls very easily, but the range is shorter by a bit). If your modem has both options I suggest you set up both and try connecting to each one. Shouldn't take too much.
    Keep in mind that you may need a specific modem depending on your connection type (fiber? ADSL?) and that not every modem may suit your needs.
    If you have any more detail that could help I'll try to think of something, if not I suggest you call any technician in your town on straight up change modem.
  5. Gargant

Ratings:
    +74
    I am connected through an ethernet cable and my connection is 1gb/s, with optical fiber.
    I really don't know what it is, to be honest, I kind of gave up trying to find out.
    My modem is a really good one, wifi speed is 150mb/s.
  6. nik9094

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Welp, no idea how to help you out more then. Contact your local technician and they may help you out better.
    One last thing, some providers limit the actual download speed (how fast you can download files, not what you see on speedtest) so that may also be something to consider although I don't believe it should affect your ability to use services. IF (very big if) that's the case you can try using a VPN as in most cases it'll remove any limit (this works because your provider puts such limit on your geographical IP and not machine IP I suppose).
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Electrocute4u

Electrocute4u V.I.BEE Gold Member

Ratings:
    +9,442
    Download speed has nothing to do with being timed out, that's an issue with your IP not being able to stay connected to the server it's connected too.

I had a similar problem after I got a new Router, not exactly the same, but a similar problem.

I have no direct solution for this... however, you can try one of the solutions listed below.

I struggled being connected and my internet timed out constantly, and in the end, my router constantly restarted several times.
    This was an issue with the house cable system.
    It was connected to a splitter, which wasn't working as intended and the splitter served no purpose.
    When the router tried to access the outside servers to update, it was constantly being interrupted by the splitter.
    This also occurred when I played Overwatch or any other Online games.

Possible Solutions:
    Solution 1:

You should check your Router logs first if you have access to them. (Some require username and password, this can easily be found by googling around)
    If the logs include any errors, you should google them, learn about them.
    Then check what other users with the same issue did to resolve them. Or get back here with them.

Solution 2:
    You can also call a technician to come to check your router, they usually run tests to check if there are any issues with the cables in your house/flat.
    They can cost money, so I wouldn't resort to this unless it's absolutely necessary and nothing else has worked.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List