Question about learning another language

Discussion in 'Anything Else...' started by Paradoxx_D28, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Paradoxx_D28

Paradoxx_D28 Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +310
    I know this a really weird thing to ask here, but I know this is a European server where many of the users may speak another language alongside English, so I thought I should. I have had a goal to start studying a language because for the longest of time, I have only known one language, which is my native language, English.

The question I ask is mainly for the bilingual players out here. What are some tips that helped you learn a second/additional language? I would appreciate the help especially since learning a second language has been difficult for me over the years. Also, if it helps, the current main method I'm using is learning on Duolingo, as well as trying to surround myself in an environment with the language, and the language I'm currently learning is German.

Thank you in advance!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. Mineale03

Mineale03 Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +222
    I start to say that I'm an Italian native speaker. In my opinion if you wanna learn a new language you must love it, or at least you must like it pretty much. This can goad more yourself and make it get milder to learn. The best tips I can give you has worked and they're still working on me, since I'm still learning this language :D.
    • Learn the grammar as first step. Especially in this case because if I remember well German has a lot of grammar. When you've learned it pretty well, then the vocabulary will be easier;
    • Learn to think with that language. Usually when we're learning a new language we read a sentence and after we translate into our own language. Instead of that you should learn to think in German (in this case), that is maybe when you're alone for some moment, you can try to describe a room or something with that language and, even though you might be slow or you can't remember all the words at the beginning, with some practice you'll improve yourself!
    • Talking/writing with a native speaker. If you talk or chat with someone who's a native German speaker may help you with some grammar or maybe you could learn new words easily and quickly as well;
    • Taking lessons with a teacher. This one can be pretty helpful too, but not always people can spend money for taking private lessons. So if you don't prefer spending money, you can ignore this one :p
    These ones were my tips I could give you to help for learning a new language. I hope I've been clear and helpful. If you have any doubt, about what I wrote or maybe my bad grammar, don't hesitate to ask me! :)
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. nik9094

nik9094 The Bees Knees Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Another native italian here. I used to learn German at school, the trick is to change mindset to whatever language you're learning: languages have different grammar, words and word placements so it is best to learn how that language uses such words. The best tip I could give you, though, is to find an environment where everyone is able to speak the language you're learning. For example, Hive uses English mostly, and that's where I was able to really catch on with the English grammar and vocabulary. School will teach you the basics and some kind of tricks to learn easier, but the best way to learn a language is to actively speak it with someone who knows it better, or even mother tongue speakers.
  4. Minti

Minti Mintirator! Moderator

Ratings:
    +7,270
    Sooo glad to hear you're using Duolingo! A lot of people write it off but I've spent a lot of time trying to learn French and Spanish, Duolingo helped me massively with both the languages. As well as the main site Duolingo has lots of really useful features: you can create flashcards using 'tinycards', you can do Duolingo Stories which I find really helped my listening skills, there are also lots of podcasts which are great to listen to in the background.

My number one language-learning tip is PRACTICE EVERY DAY!! Even if you only do about 2 minutes a day, little and often is key!

Viel Glück!! :D
  5. Hwamz

Hwamz The Bees Knees Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +2,137
    memrise is good its very helpful
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Paradoxx_D28

Paradoxx_D28 Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Thank you all very much for the helpful tips! I'll be sure to apply them to my learning if I can. :)
  7. tokenori

tokenori V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +2,428
    I make my own language flashcards on paper, I tried Anki before (digital flashcard making program), I realized I was better at remembering the handwritten flashcards I created rather than typing out my own on a program. Just something I noticed.

I also associate words with different objects, activities, anything really stupid, and different senses such as smell for me to remember
  8. Darkman64

Darkman64 Punerator Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,255
    I'm currently trying to learn Japanese so I can visit Japan sometime in the future and not be completely lost.

What I've done is start with learning the Japanese alphabet, which is not a simple task. I begin with learning the hiragana alphabet, and simple phrases like hello, thank you, etc. Practice pronounce the words and reading has been very helpful.

After I've learned to read and understand hiragana I can move on to Kanji, which is a more advanced step. I'm not completely there yet since I've had breaks in between learning, but I'm started making more progress now. It's about wanting to learn and not be forced to learn that helps you learn quicker, remember the time when I was forced to learn Spanish and it didn't go well.
  9. KarmaBait

KarmaBait Regular Bee Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I dont know If this was said already but,

before you learn anything, you should also try to learn the alphabet since there are differences (German has äöüß for an example)

Also, try to watch shows in that language with english subtitles, listen to radio in that language, watch yt videos in that language etc.
  10. Juracan

Juracan Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +649
    Surround yourself with people that share your love for that specific language, whether that is online (there are plenty of forums or lang-learning apps out there), or even better, in real life. It'll keep you so much more motivated to actually speak and discuss your language!
  11. Yummycat

Yummycat Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +7
    English is my second language, that means I learned English by myself. You can apply these to another languages:
    -Playing servers and games which had that language
    -Meet new people on the internet(especially games) and talk to them in that language

If you do these on internet, it will help you to learn many words. In games, just try to speak native speakers.