Post-update map feedback/suggestions

Discussion in 'Hide and Seek' started by Apple9494, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Apple9494

Apple9494 V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +2,209
    So I am not quite sure why this thread hasn't been posted yet, but here I go (after almost a month). If you have any related feedback please put it down in this thread!

GoldRush
    Generally a good-looking map, without troll spots and OP parkour places. Quite balanced as well. I cannot think of anything gamebreaking or unfair that exists on this map.

Hospital
    A bit seeker-favoured, however still manageable to win by a skilled hider since there are a lot of "jump-solid" spots.
    The only thing that might be complicated is spotting those pesky oak leaves in the garden between their jungle counterparts.

Talavera

Its concept reminds me of Hearthstone Village, with an open space in the middle and a lot of rooms on the sides. A bit hider-favoured because of extreme amount of spots (including "pro" ones) for the jungle wood plank. Leaves are not a problem since, again, they are mostly jungle variants (Natural oak leaves still exist, but as a decoration in places which hiders cannot reach).
    PS: You can suicide on it before the game starts.

Pineapple Port
    A bit seeker-favoured, however has an odd number of jump-solid spots for leaves and bricks. Perfectly manageable solo. (Also did you know you can go up that cake tower in one of the rooms?)

Sequoia
    Oh gosh, this is definitely extremely hider-favoured because of all the options you can choose that blend in with walls and in some prepared spots (especially for the jungle stair). An advantage of this map is that you cannot possibly run for long as most rooms are not that huge and have only a few narrow exits.
    Proposed changes from me:
    - Ban soul sand on this map.
    - Make it so that hiders can be spotted easier on walls, e.g cover all or majority of Jungle wood & planks with Oak Wood (It is present as part of the wall but hiders cannot choose it to hide). Or, alternatively, replace spruce planks on walls with dark oak counterparts.

Hotel California

Please, just revert to how it was. The map was already bigger than original Hotel + had pots as a block option. There was absolutely no need to add a billion of holes and random blocks everywhere.
    (Also in the new version, just like in the good old Hotel map, you can get killed by the seeker before the game starts).

Bora Bora

Remove pots once and for all. (Those unaware, the map was nerfed but pots were returned).

Villa
    Added to my favourite map list after the update. Now that the parkour spot and a bunch of trees outside are gone, this map is relatively easy to seek (despite its size).

Hearthstone Village & Venice Bridge

Expanding small maps is a great idea, though to my mind it barely affected the winrate as Seeker on both. Nevertheless, it's a neat addition.

Sunset Terrace

Not quite sure why the stained clay on this map was changed to a white stained clay - for easier distinction?
    In my opinion this map deserves other changes (such as removing access to some of the market roofs outside, or removing the multi-layer stack of bookshelves in each house and replacing it with something more aesthetic).

(tagging @cjeich and @b0xx3r)
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. cjeich

cjeich Team Nectar Architect Team Nectar

Ratings:
    +465
    Thank you for this well thought out feedback!

I'm interested to see if more people hold the same opinions you have brought up on the maps as far as the balancing goes, and from there we can make decisions on if they need editing.

As far as the comments on Hotel California go, this map will not be reverted. We feel that the map has most definitely been improved in both aesthetics as well as for game play. A lot of the "leaf spam" has been cleaned up and made more orderly, sections of the map that were somewhat empty or lacked hiding spots were edited and made more useful, and some potential out-of-map spots were also removed. As far as the "billion of holes and random blocks everywhere" that you have mentioned, I'm not sure what you are referring to. As far as I know there were no hole spots added that weren't present in the original version, and I believe some may have even been removed.

From what I have heard, the expansion of Hearthstone has made it a more balanced map. For Venice Bridge, it was a very minor addition that was made that could be expanded on in future updates if we deem it necessary!

For Bora Bora and Sunset Terrace, the hiding block changes that were made were not intentional. The flower pots were meant to stay removed from Bora and the stained clay will be changed back to hardened clay. Hopefully these fixes will be rolled out ASAP!

We will definitely keep an eye on this thread and others like it and tweak the maps as needed! We like to let the maps settle for a little bit before making edits to them (unless there are out-of-map spots, glitch spots, or troll spots), as often a first impression of maps will change as people learn them more and develop seeking routes and such. Hopefully we can get some discussion going on this thread! ^-^
  3. Apple9494

Apple9494 V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +2,209
    With "billion of holes" etc I meant this: https://imgur.com/a/e2IAnjV
    a lot of missing blocks in tables bookshelf stacks etc that serve as a hiding spot for just a certain block. For the leaf spam - yes I definitely agree, previous map had a lot of random leaf blocks everywhere. Anyway, I see where you're coming from, I guess Hotel California can live with what it's become now (need to learn all the new spots :p)

And I definitely expected some more comments especially on sequoia but so far you only replied (and thanks for such a quick response!). I will get to ask some other HnS players I know to post their thoughts on the new maps here. Thank you!
  4. melizsa

melizsa Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +69
    GoldRush
    Agreed ^^

Hospital
    I don't think the leaves are a problem - I've been seeking it a lot and never had a problem with it. Something I do dislike is the huge ladders that take a lot of time to get up (time that could be used to actually played the game).

Talavera

I agree, in my opinion a little less rooms would be good.

Pineapple Port
    Agreed.

Sequoia
    This, plus remove some of the holes. They're annoying and it doesn't spark any creativity heh.

Hotel California

YES. Yes. PLEASE.

Bora Bora

Yep, agreed.

Villa
    Yepp ^^

Hearthstone Village & Venice Bridge

Agreed, except the Venice expansion wasn't really effective, since it is so small.

Sunset Terrace

Yeps, agreed.