1. BEFORE POSTING: Please search our support page for the quickest answer!
Dismiss Notice
DO NOT POST APPEALS IN THIS SECTION OF THE FORUMS

[Poll] Joey's Hive review and STO

Discussion in 'The Hive Discussion' started by JoeyH, Jul 3, 2020.

?

What IP do you use for the Hive?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2020.
  1. eu.hivemc.com

13.6%
  2. play.hivemc.com

36.4%
  3. Other...

50.0%
  1. JoeyH

JoeyH Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +183
    MY HIVEMC SERVER REVIEW
    Rating: (☆☆☆☆★) - 4.5 Stars

Summary: The Hive is the best Minecraft server I will ever participate in. By participate, I mean, of course, enacting in the games, forum communities, and possibly even in the staff (hopefully someday). When it comes to playing the games, compared to other servers, hack prevention is top-notch, profanity is minimal, and the players are very friendly. The server has a beautiful way of keeping the people that anyone would want to play with in the community. Maintaining a relatively stable minecraft multiverse, along with many players' positions in the multitude of setups and lobbies, this server's outward appearance shows the result of a dedicated team's hard work. With many user-friendly commands and menus, and even click-type-done rank and perk purchases! The hive expresses a fun attitude for anyone who comes across it. Servers as Mineplex fail to show the same attitude because they have bad rule enforcement that makes it have an overall not-for-you feeling.

Speculative technological observations (STOS): Many mistake servers like the Hive to use other server hosting services, when the Hive must use some form of a cloud server, or VPS. There's no way an MC server like the Hive would use server hosting services because it does not ensure full control of it's file management, and would not ensure near-full up-time. The RAM on the server they use must be extremely high and expensive to manage all of the data being processed at once. The server must carry tons of data vital to the MC server's functionality and memory. Plugins, worlds, configurations and player data, all accessible from their website. Chances are, the cloud server they use is someone's own hardware someplace. Think about this: for every possible game they provide, there is a world for it. For example, SkyWars may have 4 games running at once, which could all be the separate worlds of SKYT3, SKYT7, SKYT9, and SKYT11. Each of these are loaded in (Which happens while the express-entry signs say "Booting - Please wait") and prepared for before the games begin, and players are transported to them right away! When a game is finished, it may unload to save memory, or reboot for the next session there. Chances are, the Hive does not use plugins by other developers, but use plugins by it's own developers. These developers are hired when they are confirmed to possess knowledge of server-running software and builds (specifically Bukkit/Spigot). They are directed to create games and be able to not only program them as external minecraft functions, but also as plugins needed to run the games in a stylish manner.
    DISCLAIMER: The section above only states hypotheses of how the server runs!

My thanks:
    Thank you all Server owners, who manage the server responsibly;
    Thank you all Administrators and staff managers, who keep thing cool and in order;
    Thank you all developers, who make everything actually happen;
    Thank you all Moderators, who keep everything appropriate;
    Thanks to all the staff who make this all possible!

If you have any more questions on how I think the server works, ask below (unless you can't, obviously)!
  2. garageagle

garageagle The Bees Knees

Ratings:
    +1,490
    Cool review! One of the first times I've seen someone do a technical review.

The Hive team confirmed at one point that they use OVH's dedicated servers, but I don't remember if that's still the case.
  3. JoeyH

JoeyH Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +183
    Interesting.... I honestly do not know for sure!
  4. xChqr

xChqr Former Helper ♥ Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +3,781
    Cool review! I know Hive used OVH server hosting for Java 1, but with the Java 2 update, they changed the location from France to the United Kingdom, so that might not be true anymore. Hive certainly does use its own custom plugins as well :D

Also, for the IP poll, I clicked other. The IP I use is hive.sexy which is obviously the best IP! Funny thing about that too, I think b0xx3r said that hive.sexy costs like $70 a year to renew, whereas their other domains are much much cheaper at around $10.
  5. Zidle

Zidle Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +157
    This was very interesting to read. I always love to see what other people think about the server so thank you!
  6. JoeyH

JoeyH Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +183
    Actually, when I made the poll, that's why I put an "Other" choice on there. I had "hive.sexy" in mind!
  7. Heccin

Heccin Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +111
    hive.sexy best ip
  8. JoeyH

JoeyH Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +183
    When I said "Many mistake servers like the Hive to use other server hosting services", I meant Minecraft server hosting services. My mistake!
    Also, I figured I'd better include the STO to show people I understand how complicated this is and help other people understand it.