Philosophical Discussions

Discussion in 'Anything Else...' started by AsternDestroyer, Nov 17, 2019.

1. AsternDestroyer

AsternDestroyer Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +158
    Heya folks!

Today I tested out something new on my wall: asking a philosophical question and having people debate it. I thought that it went quite well so I decided to make a topic out of it.

Here I'll be asking some philosophical questions and having people talk back and forth regarding it, guiding the discussion when necessary. All questions will be thought through beforehand to avoid any controversial topics.

First question: Is lying always morally wrong? When (if ever) is it okay to lie?
  2. Darkman64

Darkman64 Punerator Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,230
    I would say lying is always a bad thing, even if it's considered a "white lie". All lying will do is hurt the ones you care about and yourself. Eventually, the truth will be revealed and you'll lose trust that might have taken a long time to earn in a matter of seconds.

Sometimes the truth might hurt, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. What's important is how you phrase it and what the intention is behind it. Is it to help someone become a better person, or is it to make them upset and angry? Even if your intention was good it can be taken negatively, but it's not your fault if someone doesn't appreciate your honesty.

These are my thoughts on the question.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Paradoxx_D28

Paradoxx_D28 Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Usually in any situation, I always go for the truth. I agree with Darkman when he says lying will hurt. Plus, you never know who you're going to hurt with lying. In addition, I've never known many situations where lying can be beneficial because in most cases, it usually isn't. That's why I always go for the truth.
  4. AsternDestroyer

Ratings:
    +158
    New question:

What is true happiness defined as?
  5. Zyons

Zyons Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +147
    That feeling of when you do not have a single doubt, worry or burden that is weighing on your shoulders, and the moment you truly feel you are doing things right.
    :)
  6. Scmuel

Scmuel Mood Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,359
    My answer to question 1
    Is lying always morally wrong? When (if ever) is it okay to lie?

Lying, no matter the reason, is wrong (in my opinion). Without honesty, words just become meaningless. For me, my answer for this is simple, however, there are 'white lies' which are told to avoid hurting someone else's feelings. Although I believe lying is wrong; if someone, for example, is extremely proud of the way they have done their hair, and they ask for my opinion, even if I didn't like it, I wouldn't want to upset them. So even though, in essence, I believe lying is wrong, I wouldn't share my truthful opinion if I knew it would hurt someone unless I knew that being honest would be the best thing to do in the long run. My rule for 'white lies' is when it comes to appearance (or related - such as things a person can't change or is proud of), there is no need to comment on it and/or upset them with your thoughts, if they're content, and you know there's nothing they can be hurt by, let them be happy.

My answer to question 2
    What is true happiness defined as?

True happiness is completely different for everyone. One thing that may make me happy might not make someone else happy. I believe that it is a feeling, and once you become 'truly happy', you just know it. It doesn't mean that everything in your life is perfect, it means that something in your life is so much more important than everything else.
  7. Juracan

Juracan Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +636
    As for the first one, lying is not always morally wrong. To put it in a completely absurd situation: imagine someone holding a gun next to you and says that if you don't say "I ate an apple this morning", he kills you. Who cares if you didn't eat an apple; everyone in their right mind would lie in such a situation.

The problem with lying as a whole is that we have yet to decide whether lying is a universal "rule" or a personal feeling after saying a statement. If the person saying the lie genuinely thinks that lying was the best option for them, can we even call it morally wrong then? Making lying a universal rule, aka saying that not telling the truth is morally wrong, is saying that the state the person lying is in is irrelevant. And isnt the state of a person exactly what morals is all about ? C;

Happiness is mostly an illusion created by the brain: to make it really simple again: to someone who hasnt eaten for a few hours, an apple may bring happiness. To someone who hates fruits, however, it might bring "unhappiness". This is without the object changing. Happiness is extremely easy to manipulate too, think about drugs for example. As to why certain things make us feel happy, that's a mystery. I think it has to do with a feeling of joy and safety an object or action brings along with it, making you feel "happy".
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. AsternDestroyer

Ratings:
    +158
    New question:
    Is 'luck' real? Is karma? Are they tied together?