Work In Progress Opinions??

Discussion in 'Building and Creative' started by Snugglees, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Snugglees

Snugglees The Bees Knees Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,904
    Hello!!

I'm currently working on a project, this is my first time at attempting something like this. I haven't got much done, and I somewhat like what I have, but it feels very "plain." I'm wondering how I can prevent everything from looking like one big jumbled blob. I'd hate to continue and add more to it only to hate it in the end.

Style I'm going for is Gothic (It's Hogwarts inspired!)
    FOV is 95
    Default resource pack

*Please keep in mind, I have blocks I plan to use for the land outside but none of them have been used yet. I can in no way do terraforming and I don't want to mess it up!!
    [​IMG]

So, this started as one wall with the big windows since I wasn't using references yet.
    [​IMG]
    And if you see, I do plan on making a big triangular/pyramid like roof. I just haven't gotten there yet because I'm concerned about the nether brick. The collum closest to the front left is currently obsidian and nether brick stairs, as an attempt to prevent a blob look.
    [​IMG]
    Also just ignore the random lamps.. I tend to jump around when I'm building. Hence, only three lamps

I can't say there's too much I'm concerned about for the interior but, I feel the tables are too tall (two blocks tall) and it'd be nice to find a way to fix that.

I'm also going to change the sorting hat to dark oak since he's currently nether brick.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, I don't completely hate everything. I do feel I can improve and I plan on doing so!

Feel free to criticize all you want, I need the feedback!
  2. Oirchzalet

Oirchzalet Talk of the Town Gold Member

Ratings:
    +53
    The outer spires have a really good shape to them, and I appreciate how you didn't just slap the tops onto them and you included a bit of mixing between the two stonebrick and obsidian/netherbrick. Some spruce awnings and shelves around the windows would add a nice bit of variations, but that's just a personal preference for my old buildings. The large wall between the spires could be a good area to put in some more Gothic architecture; some decorative indentations or tall windows would look really nice above that door.

For the interior, try to give the large banners a bit more shape. Some small back and forth block waves can add a lot. I'm not sure if you are designing the back wall in the last photo, but it looks a bit blank; you can add some netherrack torches or paintings there to give it some 'history'. I like how you didn't make the tables from fence and went for a more solid shape, since it goes a lot better for the time period you're going for.

I don't think you need any more variation in the spiretops, but mixing in more stones like andesite into the main tower would add some age to it.

You have a really nice style going, so I wish you well in your project!
  3. Snugglees

Snugglees The Bees Knees Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,904
    I'm glad to hear I'm not doing as bad as I thought, haha. I'll for sure try all this though!! Earlier when I started the main roof, I honestly was getting fed up with not knowing what to do and almost started one of the other buildings, (There's three in total) which would've ended badly in my favour :') Honestly though, if you ever want to actually come see it just PM me! I'm open to people coming onto the server to get a proper look around, as long as they're not destructive :)

I really appreciate the help! Considering I made the mistake of giving myself an oversized box to build off of, ahah