Never take a fair fight

Discussion in 'BedWars' started by captainsnake, May 14, 2020.

1. captainsnake

captainsnake Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +703
    Hi, I play a lot of Bedwars. Over 5000 games in fact. When you play that many games you tend to learn a bit about what works and what doesn’t, and here I’d like to point out one of the most common mistake I see in ok to strong players- they take too many fights.

I can see the source of this issue, all the pvp mini games that were popular before Bedwars (such as Skywars, hunger games, etc) give direct benefits to winning a fight. It always got you closer to winning the game because in those gamemodes you can’t respawn. But Bedwars is different because a lot of the time you can respawn. So that often makes it so that even if you win the fight it might actually end up being bad for you. So I’d like to talk about when you should take a fight.

Reasons to take a fight:
    1.) Your opponent has no bed and you do
    2.) Your opponent has resources that you want
    3.) Your opponent has some macro positioning advantage on you (I’ll explain what this means later)
    4.) It allows you to get their bed

Aside from these four reasons there is basically no reason to take a fight. There may be some random edge case that rarely happens in game but aside from that there is no other reason to take a fight.

Now, I’ll go into further detail on when to take each fight.

Your opponent has no bed:

This one is more complicated then it seems. You shouldn’t always fight someone when they have no bed. Consider the following situation:
    You have 10 emeralds on you and have full chain armor and an iron sword
    Your opponent has full chain and a diamond chest plate and an iron sword, but also no bed.

The best play in this situation is definitely not to take a fight. Yes, if you do kill your opponent they are gone, out of the game permanently. However, consider what happens if you die. You’ll give them 10 emeralds for basically free. And if they’re a smart player they’ll take those emeralds and use it to enchant a bow with flame on it. They’ll now have a super strong grip on mid and it’ll be hard to stop them from just getting stacked and pearl rushing you.

If you instead choose not to take the fight, you can go back to your base and use it to purchase a diamond chestplate and diamond generator. Not only will you actually be ahead of your opponent in armor if they continue to camp mid but you’ll also gain access to basically infinite bows and potions. This will make defeating them much easier.

Your opponent has resources you want:

Every time you take a fight and use this idea as strategic justification, ask yourself this: “How likely am I to lose this fight and what will I give my opponent.” People will often think too much about the potential rewards for a fight and not the potential downsides. If you have 10 emeralds and have 7.5 armor bars, and your opponent has 5 emeralds and 6.5 armor bars I’d say don’t take that fight. Think a little in the future, if both you spent those emeralds you’d have an advantage big enough to reliably win. By taking that fight you give your opponent the chance to take back the advantage. If you’re winning, play safe.

Opponent has macro positioning:

Macro positioning could also be called map control. They might have mid control, they might be at your diamond generator about to rush you. Whatever the case may be, ask yourself the question “if we both had our inventories cleared and went back to our base, who’s more happy? If it’s you, then go ahead and take the fight. Of course, you still need to make sure you aren’t going for a ridiculous fight you’ll never win. If the opponent is just camping middle and you have little to no gear just focus on getting emeralds. Just run from them. However, if you have a good chance of killing them I’d say this is good justification to take a fight.

It allows you to get their bed:

This one should be self explanatory. But as always, you still gotta consider the reverse outcome. “What happens if I die?” If it’s not worth it then don’t take the fight.

—————————​

And that brings me back to the title of this forum post don’t take a fair fight. Yesterday I fought a player who was better at melee than me. Significantly better (We went on a pvp 1v1 server afterwards and he got 3 hits for each of my 2 hits). Neither of us had a bed, but I was at the advantage. I had mid control. I needed to find the best way to kill him, so what I did was flame bow spam him till he was at 1hp and pearl into him for the last hit. Subsequently he called me out for bowspam but here’s what I wanted to point out: Whether or not I killed him in the most “honorable” way is irrelevant. Bedwars isn’t a pvp 1v1. It is filled with strategy. If I just took a fair fight against him there would be a high chance, probably more than 50% that he’d win. So instead, like my title suggested, I didn’t settle for a fair fight. I took every advantage I could to the extent that instead of barely killing him I had full health when he died.

While the above reasons to take a fight may work most of the time. There is one question that if you always answer correctly will always be the right call. Ask yourself “How likely am I to lose this fight and what advantage does it give my opponent” before the fight. If that outweighs the benefit, don’t take the fight. However, most of the time it’s hard to answer that question perfectly in the moment, so those 4 reasons to take a fight that I mentioned about are what I use to try and make the right play.

:3
    • Like Like x 8
    • Award Worthy Award Worthy x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Gargant

Gargant Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +594
    I honestly really like this thread.
    So many people will get triggered at seeing this, but Bedwars is anything but a spam your mouse game.
    Use your brain more and you'll win!

GG Snake, good pov.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. Wishfvl

Wishfvl Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +1,127
    Teaching me how to play bedwars one thread at a time
  4. Scorestreaks

Scorestreaks Well Known Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +193
    This will most definitely help me with playing bedwars :) thanks!
    P.S Only big brain people can make such a thread like this
  5. Hwamz

Hwamz V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +2,255
    lol por :cool:
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    • HYPE! HYPE! x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. azzify

azzify Well Known Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +12
    lol this isnt true when ur azzify
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  7. Pivot

Pivot Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +27
    you're wrong, and i'm better than you :cool:

"there's a reason why i'm the best here"
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  8. Parti

Parti Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +83
    Essentially, I don't really like PvP, but my kills went from 5 with 20 games played and like 40 deaths to 90 with 50 games played and 100 deaths
  9. Camiilla

Camiilla Well Known Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +132
    This seems great! I lack the pvp side and don't use a mouse yet I might just give it a go with this thread on standby =D
  10. TomPlay

TomPlay Talk of the Town Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +117
    You're right, BedWars is much more than just rushing beds. You need to think before acting.
    And the person who got mad at you for "bowspamming" should learn how to counteract the use of the bow. Knowing how to PvP well won't save him in those kind of situations. You need to take advantage of everything that is available to you and you may get the win.
  11. Xezeam

Xezeam Honey Maker Gold Member

Ratings:
    +51
    You can fight everyone, you just need a thing named Skills (ask Vadanite for explination he has it).
  12. LordBeck

LordBeck Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +5
    Wise words
  13. Parti

Parti Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +83
    Instructions not clear, accidentally elected Skeppy as nominee for President.
  14. Larryzona

Larryzona Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +248
    Lowkey agree with it all, kills aren't rewarding (even less in long games) since the respawn timer is low + keeping someone on low health whilest they have no emeralds/any valuable item greatly decreases their utility since they will need time to regen health whereas killing can get a full-health opponent back in mid after 10 seconds which is a threat
  15. TheDarkNico_

TheDarkNico_ Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I absolutely love this guide.
    This is BedWars.
  16. sargeanthost

sargeanthost NewBee

Ratings:
    +0
    I would never take a fight if its mid-game, but everyone seems to like hitting me first.