Hide and Seek Mushroom Island [100%]

Discussion in 'Map Submission' started by T0mh, Nov 9, 2016.

?

Would you like to see this map in HnS?

1. Yes

36.8%
  2. No

21.1%
  3. After some adjustments

42.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p1tchPerfect

p1tchPerfect Honey Maker Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Fellow Bees, let me introduce to you, "Mushroom Island".
    A map made for H'n'S and it was made by me(p1tch) and Wilkkm0.

Behind this map is a lot of thoughts and precision put on, so it's not just some random "block-placing".
    We have tried to make it benefit for both hiders and seekers, with easier hiding spots, harder hiding spots and a bit of space to make the escape.
    It took us roughly 20 hours to complete this build.

About the map
    So it's basically a floating island with giant mushrooms covering the surface.
    It's around 60 blocks in length and same for the width.
    Blocks as default for this we thought that flowerpots, bookshelves, crafting tables, beacons and furnaces, would make the deal.

Please, drown us in feedback so we know what you guys think. Positive or negative, we need it all.

Screenshots will be found at: http://imgur.com/a/zq6gu

If the interest is big enough we can drop a nice little trailer for it too.

Besides that, I wish you a pleasant evening! :)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Award Worthy Award Worthy x 1
    • List
  2. Cxlum

Cxlum Famous Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +313
    Looks brilliant!!!!!!
  3. AtomBird

AtomBird Famous

Ratings:
    +345
    Maybe try making some custom trees?
  4. p1tchPerfect

Ratings:
    +39
    Thank you for the feedback!

At current state, two custom trees has been made. But thank you for the feedback, will definitively look into it!
  5. Essej2

Essej2 Famous Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,949
    I'd really like to see some terrain surrounding this, that's something that strikes me right away and it also bothers me on maps like Villa where you just see the void when you stand on the edge of the map.

I do like the theme, but I feel like it needs some more filling, because the terrain looks quite empty and flat.

Also yes custom trees are a must
  6. p1tchPerfect

Ratings:
    +39
    Thank you for the great feedback. We will take it with us and perform a bit of magic!
  7. Donii

Donii The Bees Knees

Ratings:
    +962
    I like the aspect of this map, seems very cool however it appears to be very very small on the screenshots which seems like a bad idea for a Hide N' Seek map.
    Overall, nice work! :)
  8. Externalizable

Externalizable Bug Keeper VIP

Ratings:
    +3,470
    Aww that looks cute
  9. Peetzah

Peetzah V.I.BEE Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +3,770
    I really like this map :)
    from the screenshots it doesn't look like there is much places to hide but.
  10. Mongo_gamer

Mongo_gamer The Bees Knees

Ratings:
    +872
    To add onto these issues :

The map seems extremely small for Hide and Seek. Even Hearthstone is probably bigger than it. Having such a tiny map will lead to ~1 minute long games which is honestly something you don't want.

Secondly I would also like to note that the amount of randomly placed blocks on the map is way too high. A lot of them look out of place and block piles are generally a very bad hiding spot.

The block palette for certain parts of the map could also use a rework. Certain block types just look rather weird when used together (Example : Wool floor in the wooden house, quartz floor in the mushroom).

The map also looks like you can easily leave it and abuse glitched spots (Vines, low fence). This is a huge issue and should definitely get fixed.

A rather minor issue I would still like to note is that you can see the usage of //sphere at the bottom of the mushrooms. While this is not a life threatening issue it's still something that can be improved.

Hope you can improve these things, though some might require a complete remake of the map. The theme is rather interesting so I would love to see an improved, more detailed version of this.
  11. Muek

Muek Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +51
    Hia there bud,
    You're map seems like it's got some great potential, however I do feel like a lot of adjustments could be done, a few tweaks here and there to tune your map to perfection! A thing that strikes me right away is your use of Notch trees (basic bonemeal trees, ew), no one wants notch trees in a great map trust me on this, next thing is; I find your map somewhat plain, BUT that does not mean it's bad nonetheless it means there's space for some adjustments! So I will in this comment try and guide you and perhaps give you a few ideas of your own, so you can customise your map a bit more..
    • Custom trees is a must when you're building a map, it's okay to do custom trees in a survival world; but come on fam, be creative, try some different tree designs! It's a joy to look at custom trees, rather than simple, plain, boring and original Notch trees.
    • Your mushrooms are looking decent but they need some more unique tweaks (I don't know any, but try something new) Something new could be different shapes and heights of your ´shrooms. (I feel like the 'shells' are a bit boring).
    • Next is the size of the map. I feel like it's quite small, and I feel like there are not enough places to hide as a block.
    • The ground palette seems quite mismatching, perhaps you should try another variation. (No one says mycelium has to be used. I'm not really a fan of it to be honest with you).
    • The visible terrain you see as a player also seems quite sad and boring, try adding some depth to it. (Tallgrass, flowers, carpets etc.).
    • Unless your making lamps I'd really suggest hiding those lightsources away in the ground or some sort.
    I'm not only rude, I can say positive things too! (Yay)
    I really do like your floating island, it works pretty well with the overgrown terrain, and also the layout seems to work really well, thus the landscape itself as a layout works nicely.

Hope you found this comment useful! If you're still not following, feel free to message me and I'll answer you as soon as I can. Best of luck though!
  12. p1tchPerfect

Ratings:
    +39
    Great to hear! Like probably everyone thinks, it's small, so do I. Improvements incoming, thanks for the feedback!:)

Glad to hear that you liked it! As said earlier, improvement on the way! :)

Ah, now this is some extraordinary feedback, I love it!
    As said earlier, the size problem is known. A slighter remake is incoming, thou as many else, seems to like the idea! Let's just hold our thumbs for some luck that it will be a success in the end.

Thanks for the feedback, very appreciated! :)

Hello there mate! Some really great guidelines you got there, very appreciated.
    Very glad I'm getting these constructive feedback, without them I would stand as a question mark:rolleyes:
    As said earlier 'bout the map missing things and other stuff - a slighter remake is incoming!

Now we can just hold our thumbs I can pull this off, thou it seems to be an appreciated idea of a map!

Thanks for the feedback, cheers!:)
  13. ulyk

ulyk Famous Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +168
    I think you should add some more places to hide. If good hns seekers play this they will have no problem finding everyone :p Maybe more houses around the map? Try to make it a sanctuary for hiders ;)
  14. p1tchPerfect

Ratings:
    +39
    Indeed, the hiding spots weren't that many. Like you said yourself, it should be playable for the more experienced seekers too!:D
    Hopefully our new ideas will be a success! Anyhow thank you for the great feedback, it helps us alot! :)
  15. Ralius

Ralius Talk of the Town Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Things that instantly come up:

- This map is too small
    - I don't like the void. Add something outside
    - Which blocks are you ever gonna be?
    - Where are you ever gonna hide?
  16. p1tchPerfect

Ratings:
    +39
    Hello there, as said earlier in the thread, a slighter remake will happen.
    Which in our meaning, is that the same base will be used, but expanded, added details, and alot more hideouts.
    We kind of liked the idea by having just an floating island, but we do understand that it might feel very empty to some people and we are currently working on some ideas.
    For the blocks it, most certainly, will be reorganized.

Thank you for the feedback!
  17. Houdanny

Houdanny Ex-Senior Moderator VIP

Ratings:
    +2,044
    Locked at thread owners' request
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.