More ranks?

Discussion in 'Trouble in Mineville' started by Spoodah, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Spoodah

Spoodah Well Known Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah TIMV is getting boring. Im a watson and timv just isnt as fun without any more ranks to grind for. I still play because I enjoy the game, but theres no real reason to keep getting karma if theres no more ranks or any sorta reward for getting more karma. So If nothing changes I doubt I'd still be playing TIMV next year. I dont really have any suggestions but something needs to change to keep the older players playing.

Sorry If im putting this in the wrong place i dont even really go on the hive forums much.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Periks

Periks Platypus Senior Moderator Team Nectar

Ratings:
    +2,392
    I think the main issue with making more TIMV is the need of Watson having to be moved to a higher karma requirement, and either making the current bold ranks not bold anymore and moving them up or simply making more bold ranks. Past experience with rank modifications have proved to have a generally negative reception from the community and I believe this is why the Watson levels were implemented.
  3. Wishfvl

Wishfvl Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +984
    Timv ranks aren't even that bad, there's just a lot of tryhards so it seems like you need more if you're higher. What really needs an update is Mimv...
  4. Spoodah

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm sure it does, but I'm only talking about TIMV here because thats all I play
  5. Spoodah

Ratings:
    +8
    I think we should keep all the current ranks the same and keep Undercover, Lestrade and Watson bold, but add more bold ranks after 200k karma. I dont see how that would upset anyone.
  6. ReaktorPlays

ReaktorPlays Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +449
    Maybe it's because Watson has been the highest rank for quite some time and is beloved by many people that have archieved it so far.
    Also it would break the connection between Sherlock (#1), Watson (Highest rank) and Lestrade (2nd highest rank). All of these are characters from the Sherlock Holmes series and it would be a pity to tear them apart.
  7. Minti

Minti Mintirator! Moderator

Ratings:
    +7,408
    So based on what everyone's saying here, more initiative to level up is wanted, but people don't want to lose their Watson rank, and Watson should still be the highest rank.

My suggestion to this would be to add exclusive TIMV-only cosmetics for reaching new levels of Watson (for example a trail that can be worn either in the lobby/ingame/both, or a special detective stick, or a new type of firework?

Since these special cosmetics could only be obtained by further leveling up, it would add more 'prestige' to the higher levels and give the higher ranked players even more to aim for after hitting Watson.

Thoughts? :)
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  8. Scmuel

Scmuel Mood Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,514
    Hey @Minti,

This is a great idea.

An additional suggestion for this could be implementing TIMV (Watson ranked only) tasks/challenges that they can complete. This could be added with the new Java 2 achievement system. When someone obtains Watson, they unlock new tasks/challenges and in return receive cosmetics.

An example of this task could be to kill five other Watson’s (or other timv rank), or to kill all of the innocents as a traitor, or even kill an innocent using just your fist.

How does this sound for all current Watson’s?
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Spoodah

Ratings:
    +8
    There definitely needs to be more incentive to keep playing after Watson, and this is an interesting idea, but I dont think this could beat the feeling of finally getting to the next TIMV rank after hours of grind. Cosmetic items really add nothing to the game but entirely new ranks after Watson give reason for players with 200k+ karma to keep playing.

I'm not a fan of Sherlock Holmes but I can see how people wouldnt like putting ranks in between Watson and Sherlock, but I think the postives outweigh the negatives here.
  10. Zyons

Zyons Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +218
    Honestly cosmetic items in TIMV wouldn't really work as it could affect gameplay drastically. For example, projectile trails could easily be traced back to the shooter rather than currently where the victim needs to actually observe the arrows direction. Particle aura/trails also won't work as TIMV does include stealth and hiding, so the particles could give your spot away.

Though, other forms of cosmetics like maybe custom sword/bow names when held could be nice...? (like how you can rename items in Hypickle Blitz SG)

Just my two cents :)
  11. SmollZyan

SmollZyan The Bees Knees Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +764
    Is it okay if we just add more ranks and push Lestrade and Watson at higher points? (like about 500k)

Current ranks:
    • Commissioner [100,000+ Points]
    • Undercover [125,000+ Points]
    • Lestrade [150,000+ Points]
    • Watson (in white) [200,000+ Points]
    Suggested ranks: (well, the names are just suggestion! Not confirmed c: )
    • Commissioner [100,000+ Points]
    • Undercover [150,000+ Points]
    • Poirot [200,000+ Points]
    • Morse [300,000+ Points
    • Lestrade [400,000+ Points]
    • Watson (in white) [500,000+ Points]

that's great though c:
  12. Spoodah

Ratings:
    +8
    The problem with pushing Lestrade and Watson to a higher karma requirement is that it makes it annoying for the current Watsons and Lestrades to need to get their rank back, and working to get the same rank again wouldnt be very fun either. This would still be way better than nothing though if you ask me.
  13. Hwamz

Hwamz V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +2,190
    I think watson should be a bit higher: so I'd make it 300k - 350k as that seems alot more reasonable than 500k But also add a new rank for 200k
  14. Gammmy

Gammmy ? Moderator

Ratings:
    +482
    As Peri said above I don't really think that moving the rank higher would go down well with the community even if it would please a number of Watsons. Whilst I personally would love to have Watson raised much higher to give myself an incentive to play I understand why a great deal of people don't want it to be raised which is why it's pretty unlikely that it'll be moved to anything above 200k.
    I also personally think that cosmetics wouldn't be much of an improvement(if any) since they provide little to no incentive to play more for high ranking Watsons. As Spoodah mentioned, the feeling of hitting 200k and gaining the rank can't be matched by a cosmetic. Whilst the Watson levels have provided some incentive to play, I do think that a rank change would be much better given that a decent amount of Watsons I know don't really notice the change nor do they wish to work for a 2 Watson or 3 Watson and I personally would agree.
    Obviously I've already obtained the rank so I can't speak for those who are still trying to get it but I find it unlikely that it'll be raised.
  15. Coves

Coves Professional Cat Thief Moderator

Ratings:
    +67
    This is exactly what happened to me when they moved Watson to be a higher rank. I worked super hard to get to Watson only to find it being moved up to 200k and ever since I've lost that will to really get to Watson. I had the rank once and I felt frustrated knowing I had to get back to Watson. Right now, I feel like if Watson were to get moved higher I'd be beyond even less motivated to get it.
    I really like the idea of using cosmetics as an incentive beyond Watson! This seems like a happier medium for those who don't want the ranks to get moved again and those who want something to keep the grind going.
  16. Spoodah

Ratings:
    +8
    Would you be frustrated if new ranks after watson were added though?
  17. iAmABox

iAmABox Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +404
    Watson should definitely be the top rank, for that to change would feel so wrong to so many players lmao

I think that Watson should be increased to something a little bit higher like 250k (if you want to play it safe), because honestly it doesn't take that much effort to get to 200k compared to the top rank of other games. Maybe add more bold ranks between commissioner and undercover?
  18. Spoodah

Ratings:
    +8
    Does watson really have to be the highest rank though? I know it would break the connection with Sherlock being for the top player but like if we don't add more ranks then alot people will quit after Watson.
  19. IGrox

IGrox NewBee

Ratings:
    +1
    We don't need any more ranks.
  20. Scmuel

Scmuel Mood Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,514
    In my opinion, just adding more ranks is not the way to solve this issue. Ranks have been added in the past, and yet we’ve returned to the same issue. If more ranks were added, in X amount of time people will come back here asking for more features to keep people interested, and “adding more ranks” will definitely be suggested, but we can’t just keep on adding more, it’s really just a big cycle.

The suggestion of adding tasks/challenges for Watson ranked players may help, and also possibly adding small daily tasks for them as well.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List