SkyGiants (Mini) ClockTower

Discussion in 'Map Submission' started by SamVsLife, Sep 12, 2016.

1. SamVsLife

SamVsLife ♠ That Vapour Guy ♠ VIP

Ratings:
    +4,528
    [​IMG]

This entire map took a good 2 and a half weeks to finish. The initial idea was a medieval style village however that theme has been wayyyy over done and as such i had to change it up slightly. I then found myself a old picture of a rundown clocktower and from then on, the map you see was built.

[​IMG]

Screenshots (No shaders - Quake Pro) http://imgur.com/a/ohwMX
    Screenshots (No shaders - Normal FOV) http://imgur.com/a/slGKn
    Screenshots (Shaders) http://imgur.com/a/hA3uH

✧*:✧*:✧*:✧*:✧*:✧

Special thanks to @extremesnow, @ThaMango & @Benjeeman for their feedback! ^_^

If you do decide to comment, the more critical your comment, the better c: Also if you have any questions about the map itself, feel free to ask! I'll happily answer them! :D

✧*:✧*:✧*:✧*:✧*:✧​
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Carlozzito

Carlozzito Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +1,063
    I think the beast spawn area needs some more colour but apart from that, the map looks awesome. What I really love is that team islands and mid island are very near, perfect to rush! :D I hope this is added soon. Good luck!
  3. Freakkky

Freakkky Talk of the Town Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +507
    The map is quiet small and I like that about it, the islands are very orientated which is something I like about. The colors need some adjustment; otherwise, the map's absolutely amazing and hopefully it gets implemented. Great work:D.
  4. SamVsLife

Ratings:
    +4,528
    I'll see what i can do with the beast area c:
    The size of the map was made with a template provided by sphere c: I'll also have a look into the colours c:
  5. kwirky

kwirky V.I.BEE Team Nectar Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +4,439
    Template? Is this necessary for the spawnpoints in sky giants maps? If so, can I get access to it?
  6. SamVsLife

Ratings:
    +4,528
    No, it was just a basic template. Nothing official or anything xD
  7. Essej2

Essej2 Famous Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,949
    Give me some normal FOV screenshots so I can actually see how the map looks.

Also, overview screenshots where I can see the islands as a whole, including terraforming, would be greatly appreciated.
  8. Teeeb

Teeeb Famous Gold Member

Ratings:
    +525
    oh my god this is amazing!!! id love to see this map on mini because it's perfect. i hope this gets added id really love to play on it :)
  9. Zaber

Zaber V.I.BEE Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +5,522
  10. JollyajaX

JollyajaX Code Monkey/Pixel Pusher Hive Owner

Ratings:
    +13,187
    It's really hard to judge a map when you post screenshots that look like Quake Pro! Huge tip for any map makers, reduce your field of view to 30-50 when taking screenshots, that emulates the same zoom/perspective as a camera in real like would have. Makes things way easier to understand and makes them look better.
  11. SamVsLife

Ratings:
    +4,528
    On it c: Quake pro is the norm for me so i just forgot not everyone plays with it xD

EDIT: Normal FOV screenshots have been added.
  12. Vaneskah

Vaneskah V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +6,550
    The tower is stunning. The map in general has a great flow. Good job :)
  13. SamVsLife

Ratings:
    +4,528
    Thank you so so much ^_^

Update: Included new screenshots taken at normal FOV c:
  14. WaveViper

WaveViper The Bees Knees Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +2,287
    I like the map a lot, good job. c: Haven't seen it since you started work pretty much. xD Just a small thing, maybe a tad bit of terraforming in the sewers would be good. ^-^ Otherwise, hope it gets added!
  15. Essej2

Essej2 Famous Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,949
    The first thing I notice is the shape of your islands. They look extremely unnatural, like microphones. You should create a good looking mountain using voxel/worldedit, and then flip that upside down to use as islands, or make some more creative shapes (examples are SkyWars Mossy and my own Warcraft submission).

The palette used for texturing the islands is not very unique or creative, but not wrong either, it's a generally good pallete to use.

Your builds overall look a bit messy and chaotic. You use a lot of different types of wood, fences, stone and slabs/stairs which creates a chaotic feeling overall. You should try to create more structure and unity in your builds, because all the different types of wood don't look well together.

The way the clocktower is detailed reminds me of ThaMango's style, which consists of placing as many trapdoors, fences, etc on a wall, which makes the builds lose structure and it's overall not very satisfying to look at. On the inside of the tower, I'd recommend adding some arches over your big entrances, and continuing those until you have a pointy ceiling, like you would see on the inside of a church tower.

I also think the roof of the tower looks very weird. The roofs usually point upwards instead of to the side, so this looks quite unnatural.

Also I think your waterfalls can be heavily abused to get back into the map.
  16. Mammon

Mammon Talk of the Town Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +688
    Please try to avoid comparison between builders as to avoid pointless drama.

As for the map itself... the clock tower is giant and it's overbearing compared to the islands. The palette isn't very reminiscent to a clock tower also... more like a natural valley while you'd imagine a clock tower to have a more olden technological theme with gears and stuff. Know what I mean?
  17. MrPolymath

MrPolymath Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +187
    this is pretty good if we accepted it i could see nectar just revamping the terrain a bit and few other minor things but overall pretty good.
  18. Akuraa

Akuraa Talk of the Town Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +481
    It looks Amazeballs ;o; good job sam :p
  19. SamVsLife

Ratings:
    +4,528
    I would quite happily love to to see nectars touch on the map :eek:
    Thank you Akuraa c:
  20. Bismark

Bismark a class guy with class glasses Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,780
    Looking dank if I don't say so myself lad! 20 lad points to both you and @MissSpark bc i think i promised more to both of you

Gl with that map lad!!!