Let's Talk About Moderators

Discussion in 'Survival Games Classic' started by vatech220, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vatech220

vatech220 V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Please refrain from flaming on this thread, as I want to get my opinion out there.

I have played near 700 games of Survival Games on the Hive, and I have seen a total of 4 mods in-game (does not include Clan Battles). This sort of phases me because the mods are supposed to be very active in-game to keep the game clean and fair. Yes, there are 90 possible servers. Yes, a lot of them are in different time-zones, but this should not be the problem.

The past 5 games of SG, I have been killed by 5 hackers, and it infuriates me. Yes, I know Mods aren't the only ones who can ban/report players, but what about those who do not have the capability of recording and upload. I am not a premium, but all I have heard is that Mods stay AFK in the lobby and when somebody is there to let them know something, they aren't.

All I am trying to say is that the Moderators really need to step their game up. It is not only angering me, but the whole community. Also, many people have left the Hive due to the inactivity of Mods and the hyperactivity of hackers. What are your thoughts about this subject?

Thanks,

Vatech

P.S. If you are a hacker and you are reading this, either stop hacking and get some actual skill, or leave the Hive as a whole. We don't want you here.

TL;DR Mods aren't doing their jobs and the hackers are taking advantage.
  2. Wegron

Wegron V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +1,934
    Agreed. A lot of the mods are just in the lobby for the whole time, and when you are telling them that there is a hacker in SG34 for example, they don't answer at all.
  3. BrightSpectrum

BrightSpectrum Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +1,019
    I have to agree with you here. I have only seen a few mods in game and I have played so many games.
  4. StevenDerp

StevenDerp V.I.BEE Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +3,670
    Us Mods try to do the BEST that we can. We cannot be in every game, at every minute on the Hive. If you are finding hackers, please report them, and we can sort it out appropriately. We definitely do not need to "step up our game", that's just rude and not needed.
    Also, those of us who are AFK in lobby, are probably doing reports or other business things (on Teamspeak/skype, reviewing a video, or Private Messaging someone). If you have a problem, try messaging mods on the Forums. There is ALWAYS a Mod available.
    Also, we have nearly 100 Staff Members, and we all try to do our best that we can. So please treat us with some respect. Thanks.
  5. vatech220

vatech220 V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +1,230
    this was just an opinion of me and my friends. Plus there is noone on the hive I treat with more respect than staff members.
  6. StevenDerp

Ratings:
    +3,670
    What you hear and what you see are two completely different things. We do much more work than what you think. Opinion or not...

" Plus there is noone on the hive I treat with more respect than staff members." Even though you said "All I am trying to say is that the Moderators really need to step their game up." That is definitely not treating us with respect. That's degrading us.

If you see someone hacking, report it. We're not here to babysit the hive 24/7. We're here in-case someone really needs one. Time zones, and school and other things affect each Mod, therefore, we cannot be all here at once. Let me assure you, that we deal with many hackers on a daily basis. Just because we don't find hackers right away, doesn't mean we're not doing anything. Its part of your job, as a Bee, to report anything that you think is against the rules, so you can help us get rid of them. I hope that this is something that you take positively, I can assure you we're doing our very best.
  7. DirtDragon

DirtDragon *The Dragonator *Team Nectar

Ratings:
    +273
    I know that I, personally, am doing the best I can. I am juggling school, work and moderating the hive every day. I probably spend more time active on the Hive more than working at my day job.

Like Steven said, we have a huge amount of work to do at once. We have to handle hackers on the server, player questions on the fourms, the server and the teamspeak, we are the ones who have to go through reports to review photos and watch videos countless times to be sure we are banning people who actually deserve it.

I am sorry for the little rant but we do not get paid to be Moderators, we donate hours out of our everyday lives in order to help the community. All we get in return is the odd "Thank you" from players, and for me that is worth it, I enjoy making someones day just a little better.

Anyways, the point of this post is that instead of taking the time to complain on the website you could easily message any staff member who is on the "Staff Online Now" on the right side of the forums. If we are not busy with the many other jobs we are doing we will be glad to help. We are not trying to be rude or mean to anyone, we just would enjoy your patience and respect as we always try to do the best we can.

~DirtDragon
  8. Ausben

Ausben Kanga-Who | Australian

Ratings:
    +335
    As has been said many times before, we are ALL volunteers, we do not get payed for our efforts, we don't get rewards, we get more work, and more people complaining, thanks for adding to that btw.

We current have over 2,000 active temp bans (Most of which are a week to week basis)
    We deal with reports constantly throughout the day, which can take upwards of 20 minutes each
    We deal with on average 20 appeals a day (senior staff), which can take upwards of 40 minutes each.
    We are constantly moderating in-game, on the forums and on teamspeak, and i guarantee you if you poke a staff member on teamspeak who is active, you will receive help immediately.
    I myself have played THOUSANDS of games of trouble in mineville, had over 60,000 karma before the swap to the EU servers and have over 18,000 now, have played hundreds of Herobrine games and over a thousand SG games, we are active in-game, very active.

All you're doing by complaining is distracting staff who have more important things to do, like moderate.
    If it's such a problem in your eyes, help, change it, report rule breakers, apply for staff, assist the staff, don't complain on the forums and make our days worse, the amount of unnecessary hate we receive on a day to day basis is ridiculous, and you think that doesn't take a tole on a person?

Stop complaining unless you're actually doing something worthwhile to help.
  9. Datimpax

Datimpax Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +133
    They aren't paid to be here. It definitely is not an easy task to juggle school, jobs, family, friends, AND moderate a server.
  10. Ausben

Ausben Kanga-Who | Australian

Ratings:
    +335
    A server of this size especially, over 2 million unique users, over 4000 active players at any given time and only 100 staff members, that's 1 staff member for every 20,000 users...
  11. Datimpax

Datimpax Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +133
    It is one of the largest networks in Minecraft, I believe. Point being, we regular members have got to do a little bit of the work ourself.
  12. StevenDerp

Ratings:
    +3,670
    Not only are we one of the largest networks, but in my opinion, we're one of the best. We have some of the greatest Staff available, and we should be thankful for what each one does for the community.
  13. Datimpax

Datimpax Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +133
    If someone has a problem with the way you guys are doing your job, I do not see why he contacts you privately and talks with you there, rather than making a thread and such a big deal out of it.
  14. Wegron

Wegron V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +1,934
    Would be kind of hard sending it to every Staff member, huh?
  15. StevenDerp

Ratings:
    +3,670
    Some people like doing it, to bring attention to them, or to start a flame war. To be honest, people who do this stuff is what makes people angry. "HiveMC sucks, I'm leaving!", "_____ (insert gamemode here) is full of hackers! I'm never playing this game again!" Are two great examples of what we commonly see. Basically, if you have a problem with someone or something, you should contact a Staff member in private, rather than create a thread, and waste your time.
  16. Datimpax

Datimpax Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +133
    No offense, but I have high doubts that every staff member just joins and doesn't do anything.I realize some are actually AFK, but I'm yet to see evidence that they aren't helping on the forums or on teamspeak and are just logged into the server at the same time.
  17. vatech220

vatech220 V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Please read the first sentence of my so-called rant. The last thing I want is a flame war and thus thread was solely made for me to express my opinion. I meant no harm, I honestly just wanted to state my opinion on things that are getting old.
  18. StevenDerp

Ratings:
    +3,670
    Some Mods go between the forums, Skype, Teamspeak, Youtube, the hub/arcade, and in-game. We could be doing 5 things at once, and believe me, it's really hard to try and do so much at once. AND then to Moderate other people aswell. Like we all said, we try to do our best, and what Ausben said, we have 1 Mod for every 20,000 Users. It's hard to do everything :) But we do try our best at it, and we try to keep everything in tip-top shape!
  19. Datimpax

Datimpax Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +133
    Exactly, it's not that the mods are just ignoring you. Just send them a message on the forums or poke them on teamspeak.
  20. vatech220

vatech220 V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +1,230
    All I can say is that you guys obviously do not know the feeling of competitively playing SG and constantly being killed by a hacker. I went 5 for 5 dying to hackers today, and I was very disappointed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.