Important [Java 2 Discussion] Let's talk achievements and the future

Discussion in 'Suggestion Discussion' started by b0xx3r, Nov 6, 2019.

1. b0xx3r

b0xx3r Ed the Social Panda Hive Owner

Ratings:
    +19,299
    Hey, Bees!

A couple of months ago we posted "The state of The Hive: Java Edition" where we went into detail about how the entire Java team is working on a brand new version of The Hive. Initially, it will just be a clone of what you know and love. Things will look the same (for the most part), and games will play the same. The difference is, it'll be running on a brand new framework and server infrastructure. Once this is done, game updates and new features will be much easier to do.

We have been very quiet about the progress but want you to know it's going very well and something we are eager to share more with you when the time is right.

We've had discussions over achievements and how we dislike the way they currently are. There is no re-playability to them and with us re-coding the whole network from the ground up it would take a large number of resources to offer you the current, flawed system.

We would love to bring you a brand new, Quest Master (similar to how it works on Bedrock at its core but we have some different plans). Delivering daily, fresh challenges that can earn unique in-game unlocks with the option also to obtain specific items from our store. This would replace the achievements system (still holding all the previous data so third party sites can still know who did what)

We believe there are significant upsides to this as we can bring you the new Hive faster, start bringing you new content quicker and give you more of a reason to log in each day with the feeling that our seasonal content often gives.

[​IMG]
    (A small preview of what it could look like)
    We'd love to hear your thoughts from anyone who has read the above.

___

Update:

We have mentioned "New unlocks that we can't talk about just yet"

This part is enormous; we have new types of cosmetics and unlocks that we have never provided before. The only way to get some will be by completing quests and representing your skill in the game you main like never be. We can expand on this more in the future nit we are very aware that the current per game shop and lucky crates have lost their interest, for the most part, it doesn't feel special anymore.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • HYPE! x 25
    • Like x 4
    • Buzz (Admin Approval!) x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
  2. MylesDev

MylesDev Software Engineer Hive Developer

Ratings:
    +942
    For those who may be wondering about rewards for Quests, We've had some ideas:
    • Tokens
    • LuckyCrates
    • LuckyCrate Shards
    • New unlocks that we can't talk about just yet
    • Points in the Quest's "target game"
    • Exclusive Cosmetics (for harder Quests)
    • Trophies on your website profile (for harder Quests or completing multiple over a period of time)
    We could also do role passes for TIMV-related quests should you guys be interested in that, too. :)
    • HYPE! HYPE! x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. GentleKoala

GentleKoala Koalarator Moderator

Ratings:
    +549
    Sounds amazing and brings awesome, new and fresh aspects to the hive and most importantly gives players even more reasons to play! :D
  4. Trophy

Trophy Regular Bee Gold Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Quest master sounds cool!
  5. Zlorian

Zlorian Honey Maker Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +16
    thats hot
  6. Lawnuh

Lawnuh Honey Maker Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +67
    Can’t wait!!! :p
  7. Aroga

Aroga Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Hype !
  8. Disformed

Disformed Honey Maker Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +60
    Can't wait for the updates! So happy that I've been able to experience the changes of the hive over the years. This is like my second home so I'm glad to see it improving. <3 So hyped for the changes! I love you hive! ;DD
  9. Scmuel

Scmuel Mooderator Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,133
    I love the whole idea of this. I'd really enjoy being able to complete daily challenges, especially to receive a new set of different rewards for each of them. This sounds like it would encourage a large number of people to stick around to complete as many as they possibly could, and then come back the next day to start new challenges.

I saw Myles listed possible rewards for completing the Quests, one other possible -rare- reward (for harder Quests or completing multiple over a period of time) could be exclusive forum avatar frames for Ultimate members once they're introduced.

Another possible reward could be more cosmetic items to be used with, for example, the FunGun while in the hub, such as mobs and other particle effects. I feel like everyone is familiar with all of the current cosmetics available, so introducing new and/or unlockable FunGun items or even cosmetics like more Mounts or adding in Morphs to be used in the hub could be appealing a lot of people.

Overall, I'm really looking forward to seeing fresh and unique content, thank you to the team for working so hard on this.

- Does this update mean that people would no longer be able to view and/or achieve the current achievements (locked and unlocked) for each game, or would people still be able to unlock these to be able to receive the trophy for unlocking all achievements in the 'Trophy Case' on the Player Portal?
  10. TheSoullessGinger

TheSoullessGinger Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    Can't wait! Keep up the good work ;)
  11. MylesDev

Ratings:
    +942
    They will only be viewable via the website and third parties that use our public API.
  12. emilsy

emilsy Chickfilaorator Moderator

Ratings:
    +282
    super excited! thank you hive team for your work! (bee)
  13. Snow3222

Snow3222 Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Sounds good to me :)
  14. NebelungCat

NebelungCat Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +295
    Yes, this is great! I was honestly wondering if Hive would ever have a quest system like this and it's really cool to see this be implemented! Keep up the great work guys! :)
  15. MylesDev

Ratings:
    +942
    btw looking for someone to tem with so i can complete quest
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  16. Shadowphax

Shadowphax Night Owl Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,514
    we can b tem

Yo, would love to see this implemented. Super exciting! :)
  17. Juracan

Juracan Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +596
    I really dislike the idea of a passive point gain. The whole point of a lb is to rank the players by both skill and experience, and giving away points removes the purpose of that. It'd be like giving free wins in SG or HnS.

I really like the idea of quests as a whole tho, because you can make them daily, weekly, etc. I'm sure it'll make more people try out lesser played games, and with the daily thing make them active players too.

As for very experienced players, how exactly do you define "harder quests"? As in,
    - they require more intensive playing (play 100 games of grav, win 10 games of SG2, play 1 game of mm ;)),
    -more playing/a longer amount of time (shoot 1mil eggs in Sp during a year for example) or
    -more difficult quests, regarding skill (for example: win a game of EF without moving your head, score more than 160 in a game of RR, ...)

In a perfect achievement system all 3 categories would be present but perfection doesn't exist ofc. I'm just curious as for how the challenges will be kept without making them repetitive. You can't ask the average player to collect 160+ points daily in one game of RR e.g., those should be quests that you can only collect once because they require a certain amount of skill.
    Will they get harder the more you collect of them? Will the easy ones fall away?

I hope this somewhat makes sense but as a tldr: I hope the quests still keep the experienced among us entertained. The one example you gave, the games of SG, seems like a rather cheap and passive way for experienced players to gain daily rewards.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Breeeze

Breeeze a slight wind Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,439
    I personally dislike the idea of the new achievements replacing the old system.
    However I like the idea when it comes to the quests and rewards.

I understand it is a whole lot of work to re-code the old system, but it would be amazing if you managed to add them both to 2.0.
    Thank you for your amazing work!!
  19. AlMightyDeusVult

AlMightyDeusVult Talk of the Town Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +132
    This sounds really cool, can't wait to see it all done!
    I really like the idea with the daily quests, it gives a lot of new stuff to get done and lots of variety in games you'll be playing!
  20. b0xx3r

b0xx3r Ed the Social Panda Hive Owner

Ratings:
    +19,299
    It's a very fair point. We would never make it so that doing quests gives you more points for a specific game. Leaderboards have to remain balanced.

Both aren't possible. We have an enormously long list of things we want to do and spending weeks of dev and QA time would be such a massive waste when we could make a brand new game at that time.