Improved Lobby System

Discussion in 'Minor Announcements' started by HiveTeam, Aug 8, 2018.

1. HiveTeam

HiveTeam Official Post Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,747
    Hey bees,

We have recently rolled out a new and improved lobby system to Hide and Seek, and eventually our other games. Here is a small thread explaining the changes so we're all on the same page!

Timer/Countdown Changes
    With this new lobby, we've made some changes to our countdown timer. Now, the timer will start when enough players are on the server - while the server is filling up, a nice actionbar will tell you the required players to start the game!

Once the server is full, the timer will go down to 20 seconds (assuming it's above of course!) and the game will start. If though for whatever reason the players go below the required amount, the timer will stop and reset.

[​IMG]
    ActionBar showing the players needed to start

In Lobby Purchasing
    We've also done some improving to the unlock selector. Now you can see cosmetics that you own and don't own. You can purchase the unlocks that you don't own straight from the lobby by clicking on the unlock. Upon doing so, a confirmation menu will open confirming the action. Once accepted, tokens will be removed and the unlock selected!
    [​IMG]
    Showing an unlock you don't own

[​IMG]
    Confirming the purchase of the unlock
    Updated Bossbar
    While a very minor, but noticable change is we've updated the bossbar. Now showing the IP address and your current server in one place, so it's easier to share your location with friends if not using the party system.
    [​IMG]
    The bossbar showing the Hive IP and the current server

Improved Sidebar
    Lastly, we've made changes to the sidebar. Not only does it show your statistics for the current game, but your current token amount (updating as you purchase unlocks)
    [​IMG]
    The improved sidebar showing stats and token amount

Your Feedback
    We hope you enjoy the new lobby! Eventually we'll be rolling this out to our games, we're only using Hide and Seek to trial it out. If you have any feedback, feel free to leave it below - we'll be making regular changes to improve this new style of system. For all new features, please suggest them: here.

Thanks Bees,
    The Hive Team
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 13
    • HYPE! HYPE! x 8
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  2. Ouz

Ouz Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +74
    I already posted this on the Hide and Seek thread, but having just seen this post, I felt like I should post here too.

I am really enjoying the revamp of Hide and Seek - I really do think it is wonderful, however one thing I'm enjoying slightly less is the newly implemented countdown timer in the game.

Currently it feels really 'unpolished', i.e. how there are now two countdown timers, players go into spectator mode before the game starts, names turn white and preventing the use of cosmetic items once the compass appears.

On a similar note, the new sidebar feels a little cluttered, do tokens need to be displayed in game? I guess it's useful to know, but it takes up more 'real estate' on the screen. Maybe it's just a case of getting used to these new changes, something which does always take a while.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here and there are indeed things to be finished up, but thought it was worth the post just on the off chance this was not the case and to express my opinions and concerns.
  3. Killkor

Killkor V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Looks marvelous! This will definitely come in handy.
  4. JollyajaX

JollyajaX Code Monkey/Pixel Pusher Hive Owner

Ratings:
    +13,217
    The two countdown timers was to ensure everyone gets the same time to choose their block. It's only 15 seconds of the process where you cannot change settings/select cosmetics. We felt that having this more consistent, cleaner experience would be an improvement to the majority of players.

We've patched the "Spectator Mode" chat issue and that should be rolled out soon :)

We'll continue to keep an eye out for feedback on this one. The idea behind showing tokens is to help you know how many tokens you have to buy items. Now that cosmetics are purchasable directly in-game, it's information that could be more useful. If people decide it's not needed, we can always tweak the scoreboard design.
  5. RoccoDev

RoccoDev Famous VIP

Ratings:
    +799
    Seems pretty good overall.

Although I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the new sidebar, everything is so cluttered and there isn't a well-established layout, so like the lines don't appear pleasing to me.
  6. MylesDev

MylesDev Software Engineer Hive Developer

Ratings:
    +1,033
    Potentially we could order the stats by the length of the string, alaphetical order or stat value to make it more organised?
  7. RoccoDev

RoccoDev Famous VIP

Ratings:
    +799
    Perhaps add a line before and after the stats, and make the prefixes bold?

Also, I'm not a Hide and Seek player, but I think some of the stats shown are useless (e.g., kills as hider/seeker). Can't we just get a display of the total kills etc.? (Maybe in a way like the current hub scoreboards do, so prefix and value in different lines)
  8. Conga_

Conga_ V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +2,463
    Looks very nice! I just have one potential concern with this:

i have not logged in and had a look at the changes yet, but i am slightly nervous of how the above will affect the less played games on Hive. the best example i can give to explain my point is Music Masters; currently at the moment 4 players are required to join in order for the timer to reduce to 60 seconds and have the game start (providing the timer is above 60s when the 4th joins), and the only way this would reset is if there is only 1 player left at the end of the 60s (ie the other 3 leave). with the new system it sounds like as soon as there is less than 4 people in the lobby the timer stops and resets? it probably sounds dramatic but this would be detrimental for dead games like MM, as very often people leave during the lobby and after the timer shortens (probably because they see the game holds 10 people and think 4 isnt enough) and mean that games would hardly ever start.

sorry to have a wall of text with negativity but i feel like this needs to be looked at on a game-by-game basis perhaps? or potentially have this new feature in place but have the timer go down to 10s for example?
  9. JollyajaX

JollyajaX Code Monkey/Pixel Pusher Hive Owner

Ratings:
    +13,217
    That's understandable. I believe it was purely from a technical perspective, some games will actually not have enough players to be setup when below a certain amount. We'll patch this and try and make it that once a timer starts, the game will start no matter what (unless it's empty).

Thanks for the thoughts =)
  10. MylesDev

Ratings:
    +1,033
    Hi bees,

Small little update here as we have just rolled out some changes:
    • Brought back the old sidebar! The sidebar is now as it once was, though tokens are shown in a green text. (Can be seen here)
    • Made the bossbar text align in the centre of the bar.
    • Fixed an issue where text typed in the block selection state of Hide and Seek would show "SPEC" next to their name.
    • Fixed an issue where /vote menu would not be displayed.
    • Fixed an issue where book pages would be duplicated after each game.

Thank you for your feedback so far!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Buzz (Admin Approval!) Buzz (Admin Approval!) x 1
    • List
  11. Ouz

Ouz Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +74
    Thanks for the updates.

Just a few issues that I'm not sure are able to be resolved?

- Player names, both in the tab menu and above players heads, turn white during the choose block lobby stage.
    - The seeker queue NPC disappears during choose block stage (not sure if this is intentional).
    - The tokens in the sidebar appear below H&S points and not above, as per your screenshot.
  12. MylesDev

Ratings:
    +1,033
    For your first two points: when Hide and Seek entres the block selection state, the game is no longer in lobby, hence why the lobby features (such as the NPC, rank colors, etc) are removed.

For the last point, this is due to the way Minecraft scoreboards work, the text is ordered pased on the score next to it. So in your case you have more points than tokens, so it is shown above.

Hope this helps!
  13. Ouz

Ouz Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +74
    Understood, thanks.

Does this mean that with the first two points, these would have to stay as they are now?

The NPC disappearing could be an issue for some players (myself included) as I like to see which map wins prior to punching the NPC to queue for seeking. Whilst you can look at the /v list, this is not always reliable as players may vote last second.

At the moment, you either punch the NPC to seek, then don't want to as soon as the map is selected, or don't punch the NPC, then want to.

One other thing (if you don't mind :p), would you consider changing the ActionBar text before block selection to something like 'Block Selection in x'?

As it currently stands it could be misread, as the game then starts 15 seconds later?

Sorry to hit you with a wall of text, or to come across in anyway impudent (which I truly hope I don't!) but I would be appreciative for your feedback and that of other players.
  14. Apple9494

Apple9494 V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +2,205
    @MylesDev There seems to be an issue with this new system, which, when you're in a party playing HnS and you get summoned to another game straight from the one that just ended (without visiting the hub), the points you gained in it (along with all other stats, i.e games played, kills etc) do not count for your account. This seems to happen every second game.
  15. Juracan

Juracan Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +793
    That doesn't only happen in HnS, it happens everywhere.
  16. Apple9494

Apple9494 V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +2,205
    My point is, this didn't happen before this update, for HnS at least. Before it merely didn't reflect in the lobby scoreboard, and it would still be visible with /records. Now the progress is completely lost.
  17. MylesDev

Ratings:
    +1,033
    Hey bees,

We've rolled out the following changes/fixes based on your feedback:
    • The "Queue for Seeker" NPC will now stay during the block selection stage of Hide and Seek.
    • Hide and Seek will now say "Block selection in X" rather than "Game starting in X" in the actionbar to avoid any confusion.
    • Fixed an issue where stats wouldn't save correctly across games when in a party. (Sorry for any inconvenience!)
    Thank you once again for all your feedback!
  18. Euzi

Euzi Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +308
    deaths shouldn’t be a stat ;c
  19. EatMarkers

EatMarkers Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +173
    Thanks for the constant updates @MylesDev ! <3
  20. captainsnake

captainsnake Famous Ultimate Member