Ideas for Hive Bedwars

Discussion in 'BedWars' started by LikeDonutz, May 5, 2020.

1. LikeDonutz

LikeDonutz Well Known Bee Gold Member

Ratings:
    +79
    These are a few ideas I came up with that I feel would spice Bedwars up a little bit.

1. Golden apples price should be lowered. 15 Emeralds are too expensive maybe 20 gold or 10 diamonds or at the most 1 emerald. Possibly should be moved to the main shops.

2. Tnt should be probably moved to the main shop. Maybe like 10 gold for the price?

3. I feel like armor should be enchantable. It doesn't make sense that only Weapons and Tools should be enchantable.

4. Maybe more tool enchants because the only one we have is Efficiency I

5. Also maybe more weapon enchants like Sharpness II and Sharpness III

6. More potions. Like Jump Boost, Invisibility, and Fire Resistance.

7. I don't really use traps but I feel like a cage trap would be good to have (That is if there isn't one I don't use traps so forgive me if there is).

8. Shovels are kind of useless (Besides their one use in a challenge). So maybe add a block for them to break.

Those are a few Ideas I came up with that I feel like should be in Hive Bedwars. I may add more in the future
  2. Gargant

Gargant Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +610
    Hey there!

I will express my opinion on each one of them in order but first I must mention that the suggestions section is closed and will be opened when Java 2 comes out.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Golden Apples aren't really used at the moment on Hive Bedwars because of their price. If the developers decide they would be fit in the meta then I think that lowering their price is a great idea!
    2. If TnT would be way more accessible then I feel like a lot of players would abuse it as team griefing. I don't really like this idea as a lot of players would be tempted to break the rules.
    3. Enchanting Armor would give people that control middle such an advantage that the others won't really be able to catch up anymore. If you're full chain and just got out of base you can't fight a full enchanted armor as you wouldn't stand a chance.
    4. There aren't really any tool enchants that you would need. Besides efficiency, none of them would help you anyway. Long time ago I though that it would be so cool to have axes as an actual meta for pvp combat, but I don't know if people would actually use them.
    5. As I said on point 3, more enchants would just put more pressure on the middle and it'd punish your mistakes way more. Falling down early game is now already a big deal, making sword enchants more powerful would only mean more power for the team. On the other side, the difference between Sharpness 1 and Sharpness 2 is so subtle, that it would just not make sense.
    6. I agree with the potions idea. Jump Boost and Fire Resistance would be a great addition to the game, but I wouldn't want to see Invisibility unless Enemy Radar could spot it. If they ever add these potions, I feel like they should cost at least 3 emeralds a piece.
    7. Cage traps wouldn't really be useful because of glitching reasons. People might get stuck in them and just die and that would just cause lots of complaints. Also, most people carry some basic tools around so they'd be pretty useless.
    8. Shovels are overpowered.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I feel like you have some good ideas that are worth keeping in mind for when suggestions will be again opened.
    I am sorry if I seem rude in some points, I am just expressing my point of view. I am sure there are people that will say my ideas are not well-thought of.

Good luck and make sure you resubmit the thread on the release of suggestions!
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  3. Wishfvl

Wishfvl Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +1,155
    In the nicest way possible I don't agree with any of these. In my eyes, the game is already perfectly balanced after the update and even though everything you suggested would make it more interesting, it would make it a lot easier for a team/player to become quickly overpowered and way stronger than everyone else.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. LikeDonutz

Ratings:
    +79
    I understand fully what you are saying. Now that I think of it More enchants would probably make it harder for players with lower class armor to get stuff from mid (Just with diamond armor no enchants this is a problem) And how are shovels overpowered? xD. I do not think you were being rude at all. Freedom of speech is something I agree with
  5. Gargant

Gargant Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +610
    Hehe I was expecting this question.
    The shovels are an old meme basically, they are obviously not overpowered :D
  6. TheGoatHugger

TheGoatHugger Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +127
    Oh boy...

1. Golden apples price should be lowered. 15 Emeralds are too expensive maybe 20 gold or 10 diamonds or at the most 1 emerald. Possibly should be moved to the main shops.
    YES this is a great Idea but not 20 gold or 10 diamonds, this would make mid camping much more effective.

2. Tnt should be probably moved to the main shop. Maybe like 10 gold for the price?
    TNT doesn't have a substantial impact on the META (It can't blow up blocks near defenses) So no point in this...

3. I feel like armor should be enchantable. It doesn't make sense that only Weapons and Tools should be enchantable.
    Prot 1 barely makes a difference and would make mid camping slightly more effective so basically useless.

4. Maybe more tool enchants because the only one we have is Efficiency I
    What else do we need? Fortune???

5. Also maybe more weapon enchants like Sharpness II and Sharpness III
    Again: Makes mid camping much more effective. Please research on how much sharpness does on an opponent...

6. More potions. Like Jump Boost, Invisibility, and Fire Resistance.
    I understand fire res, but jump boost and invinc wouldn't feel like the same game anymore, change is good, but redefining a part of the meta isn't.

7. I don't really use traps but I feel like a cage trap would be good to have (That is if there isn't one I don't use traps so forgive me if there is).
    Trap defense (While very cancerous) is very effective, thats really the only use...

8. Shovels are kind of useless (Besides their one use in a challenge). So maybe add a block for them to break.
    Or just remove shovels.

And before you think I don't know what Im talking about you should totally do research.
  7. xChqr

xChqr V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +3,568
    Sorry, but like @Wishfvl said I disagree with these suggestions. And that's not to be disrespectful towards you, but I think bedwars is pretty much perfectly balanced as it is, and I don't think these ideas would help that.
  8. captainsnake

captainsnake Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +712
    Alright bedwars tryhard here. I'm gonna answer the ones that I think are the most interesting.

I agree that it's currently too much, I think it should be 5 emeralds. See this post for why. If you don't want to read through the whole post the TL;DR is that this price would make them still an item you buy when you have a broken bed, but would balance them with pearls and health pots (two fairly balanced items)

This would buff flame bows and I'd rather not have that

Efficiency 2 for 5 ems would be a nice indirect nerf to obsidian. I've always advocated for efficiency 2 on pickaxes.

Jump boost: probably not a horrible idea so sure why not
    Invisibility: no. It's basically an instant kill if you're patient. I'd have to be really expensive to be balanced and I'd just rather not.
    Fire res: for how long? This would change the meta a lot. I think it should definitely not last more than 45 seconds. I'd say 60 diamonds would be a fair price.

The actual effect of traps is more or less irrelevant in the meta. It's really about the pressure plate itself (see trap defense)

So... dirt blocks? It seems kind of useless as a bed defense. I'd say just remove shovels.
  9. TheGoatHugger

Ratings:
    +127
    What are your stats @BumblezeeMC

What are your stats in bedwars? @MTMaster
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2020
  10. archer_321

archer_321 Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +60
    @TheGoatHugger I don't think the only thing that entitles players to have an opinion on how the game is played is stats. Yeah, not everyone's "Top 2 Bedwars Solo Player", and yes, I personally don't agree with many of the proposed changes. However, I think people actually suggesting improvements is always a good thing, and I'm sure they spent quite some time thinking about what they posted. It's their opinion, and we have to accept that.

PS, I'm sure they know that you know what you're talking about ;)
  11. TheGoatHugger

Ratings:
    +127
    Ok... Lots of things to clear up...
    I don't use my status to shut down people's opinions/views, I use their points and stats as a way to gain in-site on how well they know the game. People are allowed to have opinions, most of these opinions I do not agree with. So I am arguing my point of view against their POV. I use their knowledge as a way to let me know if they did actual research on the topic and really thought about how these changes would drastically change the meta.

If you need conformation on anything I say/do, feel free to comment about it, beware, if you are complaining, then hard goat has to come out ;)
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  12. xChqr

Ratings:
    +3,568
    My stats can be found here :D
  13. b0xx3r

b0xx3r Ed the Social Panda Hive Owner

Ratings:
    +19,521
    While I understand your point of the top players knowing the game well. I would like to point out we still have over 500,000 returning players every single week that keep our games ticking and alive. If we solely based updates around the hardcore top - that number would drop harshly.

In my opinion, it's beneficial to let others weigh in and develop ideas before closing them down right away based on their ranking in a particular game.
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  14. Parti

Parti Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +83
    I agree with 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
    6. I think Jump Boost is quite pointless because for 3 emeralds I would definitely not buy that. This would only be useful at the beginning of the game, because later in the game everybody has speed, and jump boost slows you down when you jump. Fire resistance is confusing because I don't see when this would be useful? Invisibilty should NOT be implemented because people will stalk middle island and then just rush to the island with the least players and least protection. Invis would be SUPER unfair.
    7. I actually think Cage Traps would be an ok idea. I code in Python and C very well, and there is a way to "push" the player inside of the cage (hypothetically-I haven't tried it, I would have to implement all the game physics). If this was to be added, which I don't think it will, the moment you stepped on the island, it would teleport you two blocks in to the island (to avoid suffocation) , and then create a two block thick "cage" of wood, clay, end stone or wool (maybe depending on how much you pay...) . But, people do not really use traps, and this trap would be 5-15 emeralds/diamonds, so I don't think this should be added. But, if there is a chance that Hive Developers/Coders are looking here, there IS a way to do it :).
    8.Shovels are horrible they do NOTHING which frustrates me, just remove them and replace them with a trident or something.

My OWN points:
    1. Pickaxes should cost more than axes, which is not the case right now, and I honestly do not see why axes cost more than pickaxes if pickaxes are used more. Actually, at the start, you have to get wood/wool, unless your super quick, so maybe. But overall, pickaxes are MORE IMPORTANT.
    2. I see a lot of teams with 1/2 players, and then teams with 4. This is super unfair, and if you do this 5 times, you should get temp banned from bedwars.
    3. Final point. Add 1 level of emerald summoner at your home base, but it should be 50-100 diamonds, and produce 1 emerald every minute/30 seconds. I can see how this can ruin the game, but if you nerf it enough, it will be fine.

This took way too long so I hope you bees enjoy! I am meant to be doing trigonometry but I have decided that right now, bed wars is more important, because teachers can't punish you.... :)
    Just kidding I have finished my homework I am a role model.

Bye
  15. LikeDonutz

Ratings:
    +79
    Oh and one more quick idea. This one I got from Hypixel. Currently when you die you lose everything but your armor and when you spawn you have nothing. Maybe when you spawn or respawn you will have a wooden sword in your inventory? From my perspective I feel like it would make it harder for players to spawn kill. Because sometimes what players will do is kill you and block of your gen, shop and team chest so you can't get anything. Spawning with a wooden sword would give you something to use to fight back spawn killers. Plus no one likes fist fighting at the beginning of a solo game
  16. Hinxited

Hinxited Well Known Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +202
    It would be nice to spawn with a weapon.
  17. xChqr

Ratings:
    +3,568
    Unfortunately, I disagree with these suggestions too.
    1. Stone and iron pickaxes aren't more important than axes. Most people will go straight from wood to obsidian when it comes to covering their beds (at least in my experience). And diamond pickaxes cost 2 emeralds, which is arguably more expensive than 15 diamonds.
    2. So you're saying people should be banned just for playing as a party? It isn't the team of four's fault that the game didn't fill up, and they shouldn't be punished for that. However, the Java 2 update will bring an improved teaming system which should make teams more balanced.
    3. The existence of emeralds forces people to leave their base and go to mid in order to get better items. Getting emerald gens at your base could cause players to just camp and not do anything all game. I just don't think it should exist at all, even if it's super nerfed.

I personally don't think spawning with a weapon is a good idea. If people are kill farming you, then you always have the opportunity to record and report at report.hivemc.com. But I enjoy the fistfights in the early game, and trying to break someone's bed while a bunch of people are punching you. It's just more fun that way.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying any of the ideas posted above are bad. Many people would probably agree with these ideas, and I respect their opinions. However, I personally disagree, as I believe that BedWars is already very balanced, and I like the meta the way it is.
  18. LikeDonutz

Ratings:
    +79
    No problem I understand where you might not like these. These are just ideas that I would like being added
  19. Pivot

Pivot Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +28
    1. Golden apples are definitely too expensive, they should cost gold as it really has no repeatable use right now.
    2. @Gargant EEEEEEEEEIIIM
    3. While I agree with this, I should add something here : Time unlocked purchases
    Time unlocked purchases basically means you can only buy something after a certain point in time, TNT, enchants, and pots could fit into this.
    In the late game you already die so fast that this would just offset it and make it more fair
    4. Nothing really usable, maybe higher levels of efficiency to decrease the value of obsidian?
    5. Again, you already die so fast in late game that this would really have no point.
    6. Sure, but some might just be insanely overpowered depending on how long they'd last.
    7. Traps are basically useless and a cage trap is basically just the cobweb trap that already exists
    8. Na, what you talking about? Shovels are like flame bows but with infinity.
  20. kingsarechamps

kingsarechamps Famous Gold Member

Ratings:
    +290
    Hi! I am going to give my idea about these as well, since I am primarily a Bedwars player, and do not really play much else.

1. Gapples - I 100% agree. No one that I have ever played against in my almost 200 games I have played has ever used a Gapple, including myself. I feel like it could make fights at end game a little more balanced if one team is not as stacked as the other, and really would be a great idea if they were changed to gold or diamonds, instead of wasting 15 emeralds that are very valuable for other things.
    2. TNT - TNT is a very popular item on the Hypixel Bedwars servers, and leads to very quick games and frankly, does not require a lot of skill to use. This being said, if TNT was reduced down to gold, blastproof glass would have to be added to the game, as to not make bed destroying take a matter of 2 seconds. I think currently the TNT is a good price, since it is pretty overpowered if blastproof glass is not added to the game.
    3. Armor - I agree. Armor should be enchantable and would really help in fights. Not much to say about this one.
    4. Tool enchants - I also agree with this. Tools should be able to go up to efficiency III in my opinion, but all other enchants on tools are basically useless in a game like Bedwars.
    5. More weapon enchants - I think the weapon enchants right now are very good. Almost every experienced Bedwars player will not waste their time with sharpness if they have access to Fire Aspect, and I think Sharpness III would have to cost as much as Fire Aspect, so 15 emeralds. Personally, and I know many other players think this as well, Fire Aspect will always be the first choice over sharpness if we have the emeralds to do it.
    6. Potions - As of right now, I have never seen anyone use a potion in game - all of these potions you mentioned are very popular items in Hypixel bedwars as well. Jump and invis are really interesting to use in game, and I think if they were to be added, they would have to be short burst potions, as too long of an invis would be OP and very hard to detect.
    7. Traps - I think traps are something that could be greatly improved on this server. As of right now, there are six traps. 3 Island defense, and 3 bed defense. For the bed defense, which is the one you are talking about, there is TNT, Spring, and Sticky. The sticky trap is pretty much what you are talking about, just at a smaller scale. The player has to step on the single pressure plate and they will be stuck there for a short amount of time and cant move. I feel a cage trap would be useless - they wouldn't be able to be hit, and they would just be sitting there doing nothing, if I am thinking of the same kind of cage you are.
    8. Shovels - I agree. Shovels are 100% useless other than the achievement to break a bed with one. I think some sort of block, such as sand or gravel (one that can fall to make it harder to destroy a bed) would be a good addition.

Currently however, all of this being said, the suggestions are closed while the Hive Team works on Java 2. When they reopen, you should take into account everyone's opinion and feedback on this, and write a thread that is very detailed in how everything would work.

Best of Luck!