1. BEFORE POSTING: Please search our support page for the quickest answer!
Dismiss Notice
DO NOT POST APPEALS IN THIS SECTION OF THE FORUMS

Hive Hardware?

Discussion in 'The Hive Discussion' started by daviga404, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daviga404

daviga404 NewBee

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I discovered Hive a few months ago, and I'm fascinated by the scale this network is running on.

With 20,000 slots and 8,000 people on (currently), assuming Hive uses one Bukkit server per game instance (i.e. the 24 slot servers), that's at least 800 Bukkit servers. However, those Bukkit servers could be running multiple instances of one game mode, or even multiple instances of multiple game modes. That could cut the figure down to 400 Bukkit servers if every Bukkit server could hold 48 players.

I'm going to make the assumption that Hive makes use of dedicated servers, possibly one per two Bukkit servers if the hardware of these servers isn't fantastic, but there's an abundance of dedicated servers (400 Bukkit servers / 2 Bukkit servers per dedicated server = 200). Alternatively, there could be 8 Bukkit servers on one dedicated server (for example) if the hardware was sufficient, then there would be less (only 50) dedicated servers.

My question to the Hive is this: what hardware does the network run on, and how are your individual Bukkit servers balanced across this hardware?
  2. ParanormalXT

ParanormalXT Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +90
    I can confirm they run these servers off dedicated servers, and are hosted in France. I believe they use Spigot, but I may be incorrect on that.

As for the hardware, it probably isn't nothing overly-large. As you said, Hive is just a bunch of little servers held together by a modification called Bungee Cord. As the Hub is the largest server, it would likely have to boast having the strongest hardware. As to the specific details of this, I cannot tell you that, as I simply do not know. A couple GBs of ram sounds reasonable for the individual game servers, and the Hub around 12GBs perhaps?
  3. Luca98

Luca98 V.I.BEE Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,848
  4. daviga404

daviga404 NewBee

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, the servers are hosted in France, as are most (or all?) of OVH's dedicated servers, a simple IP lookup reveals that Hive's servers are hosted on OVH of course.

As for those statistics, what I was looking for was raw hardware (the processor, SSDs/SAS/HDDs, etc.). I actually use OVH's dedicated server solutions for hosting, and with a high-tier box with 32GB RAM dedicated (15GB used on average) and a 200Mb/s guaranteed uplink, we still struggle to handle 200 players online at once, although we don't have a high-tier CPU, and we run the single game type on the same server as the lobby. We once implemented BungeeCord at this scale, but we did not have the server space and the dedicated server could simply not cope.

What I'm more interested in is the CPU, and the processing power and network uplink required to sustain their (most likely huge) database and BungeeCord proxy server, as well as how the servers are shared amongst the physical servers.

While on the topic, what type of database does Hive use (if anybody on the forum knows)? MySQL would seem feasible, but it's possible that a NoSQL database such as Redis could be used.
  5. Luca98

Ratings:
    +1,848
    Well, managing 200 players online without lag in the same servers is really a problem. BungeeCord is the better solution if you have many players, since you can split all the players into multiple servers, and IMO on your machine would run without any problems (the proxy needs 256MB of RAM to handle 500 players online, and 0.5MB for each player more).

About The Hive, I am pretty sure that the kind of informations you need are private.
  6. daviga404

daviga404 NewBee

Ratings:
    +1
    Why would the information be private? Information about the hardware doesn't expose any vulnerabilities to a server, unless you reveal which ports the services are running on or possibly the type of database as they may be using the default port, but even then this isn't much of a threat since anyone can DDoS Hive in the first place seeing as everybody knows which ports are open for Minecraft, and it would be next to impossible to brute force the database, providing they have a secure password.

The Shotbow network have even done a Q/A similar to this, see http://shotbow.net/forum/threads/56929/
  7. Luca98

Ratings:
    +1,848
    The reason, condensed in one word: business.
  8. daviga404

daviga404 NewBee

Ratings:
    +1
    Could you please elaborate on "business"? I fail to see how this information could impact business, and few people are actually interested in it.
  9. Luca98

Ratings:
    +1,848
    Well, it's not really hard to explain. Simply, big servers, like Hive, Hypixel or Mineplex are making money by selling donation packages. Just to let you think about it, The Hive, for example, is run as a company, called The Hive Network LTD. Of course, if you are a company, you have competitors. If you offer an high-quality server, which I suppose The Hive is offering since they have a lot of players, your competitors are interested on how you can offer that quality. That's the reason why The Hive - and a lot of other servers - prefer to keep those kind of informations private.
  10. ErrorNow

ErrorNow V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +800
    Please note the Hive has multiple Hub servers. 15, to be exact. As an example, if 1000 people are in the hub, they would be separated about those 15 hubs so every hub-server only needs to handle around 67 people, which isn't that hard.
  11. Luca98

Ratings:
    +1,848
    He probably knows that already. He was asking for more technical info, like the dedicated servers specs, the databases, etc.
  12. Jamelele

Jamelele V.I.BEE Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,327
    Correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought there were 10. 9 regular player Hubs. 1 premium Hub. That may have changed since
  13. ErrorNow

ErrorNow V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +800
    They had 9 normal hubs yes but they added another 6 hubs when they made it that you could see eachother. That makes a total of 16 hubs. (I forgot about the premiumhub in my previous post ;p)
  14. Jamelele

Jamelele V.I.BEE Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,327
    Oh, I was told when visible players were introduced that there were 9 normal Hubs. Must have been a mixup.
  15. ErrorNow

ErrorNow V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +800
    When they introduced them they had 9 hubs but shortly after they upgraded it to 15.
  16. Mattymooz

Mattymooz Doge | Equinox Builders Admin

Ratings:
    +1,063
    It's a MySQL database ;)
  17. alexmaster00

alexmaster00 Famous

Ratings:
    +255
  18. Mattymooz

Mattymooz Doge | Equinox Builders Admin

Ratings:
    +1,063
    It definitely was back in TIMV, maybe they have changed since then :/
  19. alexmaster00

alexmaster00 Famous

Ratings:
    +255

I think they changed it, im very sure its MongoDB
  20. b0xx3r

b0xx3r Ed the Social Panda Hive Owner

Ratings:
    +19,415
    Always fun to see guess work :) But as it's been said, for us to stay as safe as possible it's best to keep this information to us and let people make educated or uneducated guesses but never knowing for sure.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.