Help me collect statistics.

Discussion in 'Hide and Seek' started by dalahast, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Ree

Ree V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Code:
    cruise 8
    cruise 2
    space 8
    hotel 1
    townsquare 6
    villa 4
    cruise 8
    space 8
    villa 7
    animalvillage 2
    animalvillage 19
    villa 5
    townsquare 13
    cruise 6
    space 3
    hotel 4
    animalvillage 9
    space 6
    hotel 2
    space 9
    hotel 1
    townsquare 8
    animalvillage 11
    villa 15
    hotel 2
    animalvillage 10
    cruise 2
    space 1 
    animalvillage 15
    cruise 6
    villa 0
    cruise 13
    space 3
    townsquare 13
    hotel 3
    villa 8
    cruise 2
    townsquare 5
    hotel 5
    space 3
    cruise 1
    villa 2
    cruise 7
    space 2
    animalvillage 9
    townsquare 10
    villa 7
    cruise 8
    villa 7
    space 12
    Villa 5
    townsquare 2
    cruise 9
    cruise 10
    animalvillage 9
    townsquare 11
    hotel 2
    villa 4
    hotel 5
    space 8
    cruise 3
    villa 0
    hotel 6
    cruise 6
    space 7
    townsquare 12
    animalvillage 14
    hotel 1
    animalvillage 13
    villa 3
    space 11
    townsquare 7
    townsquare 6
    villa 5
    cruise 14
    hotel 0
    animalvillage 18
    villa 1
    hotel 6
    townsquare 6
    hotel 0
    space 2
    hotel 0
    hotel 1
    hotel 0
    villa 2
    animalvillage 19
    townsquare 15
    cruise 12
    animalvillage 12

90 games, all I'm gonna have time for :)
  2. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks. That puts us at 180 (which means you actually doubled the number of games collected at that time with your post, heh). The deadline is tomorrow—or today, if you're in Europe—which means everyone still has a while to submit more games.
  3. Ree

Ree V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +1,005
    That is probably a sign of that I'm playing too much...
  4. uH8R

uH8R The Hive's Batman

Ratings:
    +135
    25 games, tried to keep the maps even due to my premiumness.
    Code:
    townsquare 18
    villa 3
    hotel 2
    hotel 1
    space 1
    cruise 3
    hotel 12 *
    cruise 8
    space 11
    animalvillage 3
    cruise 2
    villa 8
    townsquare 11
    townsquare 9
    space 6
    cruise 3
    animalvillage 11
    hotel 9
    villa 13
    cruise 0
    animalvillage 13
    animalvillage 4
    hotel 7
    cruise 0
    townsquare 14
    *The unique thing about this game was that the lobby I joined got a visit from KermitPlaysMC and PerpetualJordan, but after Jordan fell victim to the disconnect after the game starts bug, Kermit left and was followed by the premiums stalking the two. I decided to put the stat in though, since you asked for all games.
  5. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    That is precisely the way you're supposed to do it. Thank you. That makes 205 games—enough, but will there be more? There were 222 last time.

Edit: The deadline has arrived, and results are in for the latest batch of 205 games.
    • The average number of hiders left on some maps differs somewhat from what one might expect, given the recent updates. In particular, removing the ladder from Space had virtually no effect on this (6.90 before, 6.13 now—the difference is obviously not statistically significant). Removing the unintentional parkour hiding space from Hotel also had virtually no effect here (but it did have an effect elsewhere; read on).
    • Alarmingly, the average number of hiders left on Animal Village differs significantly from the number left on every map except Town Square—that is, every other map except Town Square averages less hiders left over at the end, compared to Animal Village. The averages for Animal Village and Town Square this time around were 10.45 and 9.54, respectively (the difference is not statistically significant, α = 0.05).
    • The average for all maps combined is now 6.30, a small improvement over the previous 7.68.
    • Now for some good news: the seekers won at least one game on every map except Animal Village and Town Square. Hotel had 10 seeker wins, Cruise had 9, Villa had 2, and yes, even Space had 1. Town Square continues to get more credit than it deserves, in terms of whether or not it is a good map. Seekers did win 10.7% of all games (compared to 3.6% last time), so things are improving at least.
    • Roughly half of all games now finish with no more than 5 hiders, compared to the previous figure of no more than 6 hiders. Along with this, the oddly large number of games that ended with 6 hiders (12% last time) has disappeared. Games do tend to be somewhat closer now than they were previously; roughly 30% of all games end with no more than 2 hiders now. Previously, less than 20% of all games ended this way.
  6. Stellatrix13

Stellatrix13 Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +3
    This is very interesting stuff. Kind of nice to see math used outside of school. XD
    I've been taking a break from Hide and Seek but I'll help with the next experiment when it starts. :D
  7. jasonbailey

jasonbailey Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +41
    For some reason I feel like the one win on Space was either rigged or the hiders were extremely stupid. In all the games I've played on Space (100ish) not once did the seekers win.

But, like I said, Cruise and Hotel are both very good maps. Also, I think my seeker manual helped out. ;)
  8. ZipZero

ZipZero Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    If you're talking about the game I participated in, no, it most definitely was not rigged. I was the 3rd-to-last hider to be killed, I killed the second-to-last hiding under the rail on the haystacks, and the very last died with only a few (~15, I think) seconds left on the clock.
  9. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    Hey look, renewed interest. ^^
    Always nice to see someone else who appreciates the usefulness of mathematics. Thank you for volunteering for my data-collection army, too.
    I actually saw two seeker wins on Space before starting these experiments. Haven't seen any since then; regardless, one or two seeker wins in hundreds of games hardly does anything to make the map more or less fair. It's still pretty blatantly a bad map.

I'm considering studying the win rate per block for each map now. That could potentially take two weeks or so before I had enough data for it, but the results would very clearly reveal which blocks have inherent advantages over the others, and how big (or small) those advantages are, among other things.
  10. ZipZero

ZipZero Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    How would you get data on that? Just having people report what block they won as? That seems like it would take a long time to collect that accurately, especially with the block chooser complicating things. I would think that very few people have ever won as a melon or a pumpkin, though.
  11. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    I was thinking of just excluding the block chooser blocks from it entirely. You got a better idea?