Help me collect statistics.

Discussion in 'Hide and Seek' started by dalahast, Aug 7, 2013.

1. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    I can virtually guarantee that this is already what happens, on some level. I think what you're getting at is that it should not randomly pick a map, but run through the list of maps in a random order, more or less. The method you described would have it remove each map from the pool of available ones as it is picked, though it could just as easily generate some random permutation of the maps, run through it like a playlist of music, and then repeat the process.

Still, there isn't anything wrong with the current method. There is no evidence at all to support the claim that any map is being played more or less often than the expected 20% (based on the current 5 maps).
  2. blahberguy

blahberguy NewBee

Ratings:
    +0
    67 games :)
    Code:
    hotel 0
    hotel 1
    space 12
    animalvillage 13
    townsquare 9
    space 3
    space 14
    space 3
    townsquare 10
    hotel 0
    villa 15
    space 9
    animalvillage 8
    villa 2
    villa 2
    space 12
    townsquare 12
    villa 22
    animal village 11
    space 5
    townsquare 6
    villa 2
    townsquare 12
    hotel 9
    hotel 2
    townsquare 10
    animal village 17
    townsquare 13
    townsquare 10
    townsquare 5
    villa 6
    hotel 2
    space 8
    animalvillage 2
    townsquare 14
    hotel 12
    villa 4
    townsquare 1
    townsquare 18
    animalvillage 11
    animalvillage 8
    townsquare 6
    villa 9
    townsquare 2
    animalvillage 4
    townsquare 10
    townsquare 18
    space 0
    townsquare 9
    townsquare 9
    townsquare 17
    villa 4
    space 8
    space 10
    townsquare 13
    cruise 0
    animalvillage 9
    space 10
    villa 8
    cruise 4
    townsquare 11
    cruise 11
    space 5
    townsquare 7
    villa 20
    cruise 16
    cruise 3

3. Xtrim2008

Xtrim2008 V.I.BEE Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,555
    What map is cruise?
  4. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    While I appreciate the effort, I unfortunately cannot use this. Don't get me wrong, I really wish I could—67 games is more than I expect to get from anyone in one post—but I don't plan on actually starting the next round of statistics until sometime tomorrow. The purpose of this is to give players a few days to get familiar with the new map. If I collect data too early, I risk skewing the results.

See, when a map is first released, nobody knows their way around it. Players are still learning the list of which blocks the hiders can be (somewhat easier if you have the block chooser, but not everyone does), where the best hiding places are for different blocks, and so on. I want the data to reflect the usual conditions of each map, not the conditions in effect when the map was first released.

Everyone else who is interested in helping, please wait until the data collection period officially starts. I don't want to throw out what would otherwise be perfectly good data because of this.

It was released just a day or two ago. Looks somewhat like a circular shopping mall, two floors. If you haven't played it yet, go give it a try.
  5. Queekusme

Queekusme Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1

There's nothing wrong with the current method, this was just an idea i had for a while and thought, hay, it could theoretically be implemented into this... Not saying it will or won't, just thought i'd throw it out there for people to see.
  6. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    It's time to start the next round of data collection. The process for this one will be the same as before; I've placed the instructions here and in the first post again. It is now 17 August 2013, 22:00 (10:00 PM) GMT. I will accept results until the same time on the 20th.

• Please record your data in a text file like this:
      Code:
      hotel 0
      villa 6
      space 10
      space 8
      townsquare 6
      etc. Basically, write the map name, a space, and the number of hiders that were left at the end of the game.
    • Try to record every game of Hide-and-Seek you play.
    • If you forget how many hiders were left at the end or can't get a good look at the number before it goes away, don't guess; just don't record that game. It's better to record only correct numbers.
    • If the seekers win a game, just record the number of hiders left over as 0, like the first line of the example above. You do not need to write anything else.
    • Obviously, do not try to manipulate the results by deleting some games or making up numbers.
    You can send me results here. To format the results nicely, type [‌code], paste your text file in here, and then type [‌/code] at the end, which will produce a box like the one in the example above.

Note: if you copy-paste the code tags from above, they will not work, as I placed an invisible character in them so the forum wouldn't recognize them. Please type them yourself.
  7. blahberguy

blahberguy NewBee

Ratings:
    +0
    The results before the 3 matches in Cruise were actually recorded before it got released
  8. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    Doesn't matter. All the data needs to be from the exact same interval. That interval began after you posted, and ends on the 20th. You are more than welcome (encouraged, even) to post results of games you have played during that time. I still cannot use the ones you posted before that.
  9. ZipZero

ZipZero Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    Here's 30 I did today:
    Code:
    hotel 0
    space 0
    cruise 9
    hotel 5
    cruise 7
    hotel 4
    villa 8
    villa 4
    cruise 12
    cruise 4
    hotel 12
    hotel 12
    animalvillage 9
    villa 2
    animalvillage 5
    hotel 7
    animalvilage 7
    villa 4
    villa 6
    hotel 1
    cruise 5
    villa 18
    hotel 2
    cruise 1
    townsquare 6
    hotel 0
    space 8
    cruise 6
    cruise 7
    villa 2

10. RSRaid

RSRaid Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +9
    30 more games~

Code:
    TownSquare: 7
    Cruise: 1
    Hotel: 0
    Hotel:0
    Cruise:9
    AnimalVillage: 15
    Villa: 9
    Hotel: 2
    TownSquare: 5
    Villa: 3
    Cruise: 3
    Villa: 13
    AnimalVillage: 15
    TownSquare: 13
    Cruise:0
    Space: 5
    TownSquare: 14
    Hotel:2
    Space: 8
    AnimalVillage: 2
    Cruise: 1
    Villa:10
    AnimalVillage: 3
    Space: 5
    AnimalVillage: 10
    Hotel: 2
    Cruise: 4
    AnimalVillage: 19

11. AdventureFox

AdventureFox V.I.BEE Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,790
    im gonna do some tomorrow
  12. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    Depending on how many results I get today, I may extend this past the 20th to the 21st or 22nd. Currently I've got 60 games; I'd like at least 200 before I cut it off.
  13. Ree

Ree V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +1,005
    I have 70 ready, but I was thinking of maybe doing some more tomorrow if I feel like it :)
  14. ZipZero

ZipZero Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    Only 20 this time, I was busy today:
    Code:
    cruise 17
    cruise 5
    townsquare 9
    hotel 18
    hotel 1
    cruise 0
    villa 4
    hotel 1
    space 19
    cruise 0
    cruise 11
    hotel 6
    hotel 3
    space 1
    hotel 3
    animalvillage 14
    animalvillage 11
    cruise 6
    animalvillage 2
    townsquare 9

15. uH8R

uH8R The Hive's Batman

Ratings:
    +135
    If you do extend the deadline, I'd be happy to contribute again. As of right now, I may not be able to get a good amount of results to you by your deadline due to my current schedule.
  16. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    The deadline for this round is hereby extended until the same time on the 22nd (Thursday).
  17. jasonbailey

jasonbailey Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +41
    This is solid proof that TownSquare, Animal Village, and Space have serious problems. Now, to help with the statistics, may I suggest a few things?

*If possible, figure out how many hiders exited the map on Animal Village. Deduct this amount from the number of hiders remaining. This could be proof that Animal Village could be a good map if you could not get out.
    *If possible, try to see how many of the remaining hiders on TownSquare are fences. Deduct this amount from the number of hiders remaining. This could be proof that TownSquare could be a good map if fences were removed.
    *If possible, discover the amount of hiders that exit the map on that particular game for Hotel and Villa. Deduct this from the amount of hiders remaining. This will show that glitches hurt the seekers' chances on these two maps.

Also, it pleases me that the seekers can win on Hotel and Villa. It is much more common on Hotel because seekers actually go upstairs more often than on Villa. I win a lot of games on Hotel/Villa as long as the hiders do not leave. Also, I played 10 games on Cruise, just to get a feel for what it is like. And it has quite a nice amount of seeker wins, and 7 of the 10 games were close, aka 4 or less hiders left. (also, sorry, don't know how to make a code file, and if it was in the first post, I overlooked it :/ )

Code:

Cruise - 2
    Cruise - 0
    Cruise - 6
    Cruise - 19
    Cruise - 0
    Cruise - 0
    Cruise - 7
    Cruise - 1
    Cruise - 0
    Cruise - 3

I promise I didn't rig it, but the seekers won 4 games out of 10. Although it is a sample of only 10 games and I did play in it, the sampling error could be +-10%. Because I am one of the most unfair seekers in the game. ;)
  18. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    Figuring out how many people went outside the map anywhere is not currently feasible, as it would require an additional player (or players, in some cases) to spectate for the entire game in the places that it's possible to leave the map (and thus, without being seen or known to the other players at all). If this project had the blessing of the admins, so to speak, they might be able to arrange something like that for us, though at the moment it's not something we can do.

Something that would be interesting for future experiments, by the way, might involve observing the proportion of games won on different maps as different blocks.
  19. jasonbailey

jasonbailey Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +41
    *Villa - Oak leaves, bookshelves, and wooden planks would have a blast.
    *AnimalVillage - Oak leaves and anyone who leaves the map. Kinda hard to do it on this one.
    *Space - Forget it. You win as any block unless you had a big failure or are a regular failure.
    *TownSquare - Fence, fence, and fence. No question about Mr. Fence.
    *Cruise - Seems balanced, but beacon might have a hard time. Mentality of a seeker = hit all beacons.
    *Hotel - Block Picker blocks, with the exception of melon and pumpkin, will do well along with snow blocks.
  20. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    The results of that would be interesting even on Space, I think, as I would expect to see roughly equal win-lose ratios for all of the blocks there. Any numbers that don't line up with the generally-held notions of which blocks are the best would be intriguing, and we'll have a mathematical answer to
    "no, redstone block iz wurs"
    "no, coal"
    "i h8 redstone lamp, never wins"
    "coal is more bad, h8 coal"
    "lol"