Games that changed your life

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by nik9094, Feb 26, 2020.

1. nik9094

nik9094 The Bees Knees Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    Hey everyone!
    A thread like this has most likely already been done, but here goes nothing...
    What are the games that affected your life and way of being, and why? I'm talking about childhood games to games you've just recently found! Don’t confuse the games you love with games that influenced you!!
    If your post turns out to be long, I suggest you put games into spoilers (use "[SPOILER="Gamename"]Text[/SPOILER]").​

That being said, here's my list!

This game is pretty much the reason why I’m here today. I received the game back when I was around 7-9 years old (that’s over 8 years ago!) along with a Nintendo DS right after I woke up on my birthday. After getting back from school, I promptly turned on the DS and played the game until I couldn’t anymore… Unfortunately, I got stuck at the first ever boss in the game and I gave up after 10 tries. :(
    However, after finding out about Super Mario and his universe I fell in love with Nintendo and games in general.

When I found out about NSMBWii I absolutely fell in love with Mario. The game was so incredible for me and I spent hours upon hours just playing and replaying every level. Soon after completing the game (it took me a veery long time), I’d restart and try to do every level faster. This along with Mario Kart 7 helped me understand how to be faster.

I was already a big fan of the Mario Kart series, and by the time I got my hands on this game I had already played Mario Kart 64, DS and Wii. This time though, I was older (about 11?) and I was already a little bit more into the gaming mindset. Mario Kart 7 led me to explore the world of speedrunning, I’d practice a track for hours to get a really fast time. My favorite was Music Park / Melody Motorway and I still love it!

I discovered this game when I was 12 years old, but decided to buy it just a year later because I really didn’t like it at first… What convinced me to buy it were a bunch of youtubers.
    There’s just so many aspects of this game and my experience with it that influenced me so much until today, so enjoy a long read :p

At first I just liked how the game played and I spent many hours trying to achieve anything in singleplayer, just a while later I found about multiplayer and I remember starting off in a big server. I tried all sorts of games but I still didn’t have a favorite mechanic to choose from. I then found another big server but their minigames never appealed to me and they never will, honestly. Two or so years after getting Minecraft, I discovered Hive. One of my first games was DeathRun, and as soon as I recognized the potential in this minigame I quickly got addicted to it even though I didn’t play that much for the first year. At that time I also had a real life friend with whom I’d play plenty of Skywars and DeathRun, but he then quit gaming for as long as I know…
    Shortly after upgrading my laptop to my (current!) gaming PC, I had popped on a DR game and started getting more involved in the community. By this point an year passed, and I had reached 100K points/Cheetah in the game! I remember having quite a few friends to witness my goal, and that day I was very happy. In the following years I started to play it a lot more (reached over 500k within the first year and a half, I think), look around at speedrunning and command blocks, getting more interested in how to be quicker and reading tons of articles about how commands work.

Commands particularly have allowed me to discover coding, which soon made me want to figure how everything works and think more logically. I also have to be thankful to every person I met in here in early 2016/17. I owe my English knowledge to a few people specifically…

Discovering this game back in 2017, I spent so many hours and nights playing it because of its PERFECT gameplay. The more I played with it, the more I fell in love with it. Parkour in real life has always been a big dream of mine, and seeing it in a videogame made me extremely happy; especially because of how structured and smooth it is. As of today (February 2020) I completed the story mode 10 times (10th being just a few days ago) and have finished all of the missions 5 times. All of them being late at night heh…

This game, what a masterpiece of a game this is…!
    I found this game 2 years ago and since then more interests arose. My first impression was all about the gameplay, which has made me love fastpaced action and shooting (no, I still don’t like Call of Duty). BUT THEN I had a listen to the soundtrack… Boy oh boy if that changed things up a bit. Very shortly after listening to most of the soundtrack I impulse-bought an 8 strings guitar (which is extremely metal) and since then I started to love metal music.
    Also, I already pre-ordered DOOM Eternal and am already playing one of the songs heeheehee

So here it is! All of those games have morphed me into what I am today, and I have no regrets in any of them. I’m super thankful to everyone who's making my journey possible and to all the people I met along the way. Sorry if the post looks a bit repetitive, but the whole point is that all those games made me really reconsider myself plenty of times.

I hope everyone will enjoy Java2!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. Hwamz

Hwamz The Bees Knees Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +2,162
    Mario kart 8, Donkey kong returns, Minecraft, Donkey kong barrel blast, Super mario bros WII ( I think thats all)
  3. Guystr0

Guystr0 Regular Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +11
    HiveSG as when i started grinding it out in 2015 i lost all my irl friends lol :D
  4. Re69

Re69 Talk of the Town Gold Member

Ratings:
    +67
    minecraft
    great game !
    made me toxic :-D
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Kopites

Kopites The Bees Knees Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +540
    same
  6. F4SH10N

F4SH10N Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +322
    Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2: Really great childhood games with an amazing soundtrack.
    Dance Dance Revolution: Fun game that opened me up to a community of music game fans.
  7. zoly

zoly Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Gotta be Super Monkey Ball 2 and Minecraft :)
  8. QueenAAP

QueenAAP Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +106
    The Pokemon games were all a large part of my childhood. I would bond with my cousins over Pokemon Cards and DS games. However, overall, I think that Minecraft has made the most impact on me.

The server aspect of Minecraft and really getting involved with Minecraft server communities was only introduced to me in 2017, when I joined and started regularly playing on my first small Minecraft server. Through spending hours a day during the summer online, I began to meet new people and develop the social skills I lacked from my crippling social anxiety. Becoming a moderator on that server taught me lessons on patience and maturity too. It served as a coping mechanism for my plummeting mental health because it gave me a sense of worth and belonging to be a part of something, and that is a feeling that I will never forget and still hold with me to this day :)
  9. bunny119

bunny119 Well Known Bee Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +73
    New Super Mario Bros will really brought my family together lol, We ended up completing the entire game together as a family :)
    • Award Worthy Award Worthy x 1
    • List
  10. ItHazy

ItHazy Regular Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I remember Minecraft when I was younger, the only time I got to connect with my siblings. I was wondering whether to continue or not in 2016-2017 and played less. But since becoming more active, I see it was a good part of my childhood. :D
  11. Hinxited

Hinxited Honey Maker Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Minecraft ofc
  12. Minti

Minti Mintirator! Moderator

Ratings:
    +7,324
    Crash Team Racing, Crash Bandicoot 1 2 and 3, Mario Kart, Wii Party, Super Mario Galaxy, Minecraft .. all awesome games that I still love now!
    • List
  13. bullen2011

bullen2011 Famous Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +187
    The games that chanced my life? Hm… Lets See… Runescape and Minecraft
    Got about 11 000+ hours just there
    Then it would be all the games on ps2 which I prob also have like... 500 hours atleast on
  14. MudsyKipsy

MudsyKipsy Famous

Ratings:
    +172
    Pokemon, Mario kart and Minecraft.

Pokemon taught me English and invited me to games and I met a lot of people sharing the same amount of love. I remember going around the playground trading Pokemon cards with other kids and drawing my old fakemon, I still have the drawings that I made back then.

I've played mariokart wii a lot as a kid with friends. We always played online and laughed at how crazy OP some players were, I'm still friends with them.

But Minecraft is probably the game that had the most impact on my life, my English improved a lot and I got long lasting friendships from it. My life would've definitely been way different if I never played Minecraft.
    • List
  15. Kazwa

Kazwa Regular Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Minecraft, League Of Legends and all Pokemon games :)
  16. NannyGaGa

NannyGaGa Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +56
    Cool maths games...!!

No? Ok. Sorry.
    • List
  17. Jokehim

Jokehim Mooohderator Moderator

Ratings:
    +212
    For me those are Minecraft & Overwatch for the most part.
    My childhood games were: Frozen Bubble, World of Goo, Machinarium, Hamsterball (the one with the 15 3D races.. there are a lot of those games) and some more I can't remember the names of :(