1. BEFORE POSTING: Please search our support page for the quickest answer!
Dismiss Notice
DO NOT POST APPEALS IN THIS SECTION OF THE FORUMS

Client-side Anticheat

Discussion in 'The Hive Discussion' started by Limitre, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Limitre

Limitre Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +58
    There's no denying that any sort of server-side anticheat is just ineffective. NCP is somewhat helpful for staff but AAC is just awful.

What's the possibility of the Hive supporting a client-side anticheat? Now that Badlion have closed their network to focus on BAC, it seems like they're interesting in partnering with other servers. I'm aware that many people are not interested in playing on a non-vanilla client. However, there is no reason why some sort of incentive can't be offered to players who play with a client to prove they do not have an unfair advantage. This would at least mean that players are not unfairly banned for cheating.

I know Hive is not a competitive server. Although, I would argue it is, because I think the reason people keep playing is to gain points. That aside, I think it would much appreciated by a lot of people. Feel free to discuss, but I'm looking for an owner's opinion really.
  2. Convah

Convah Famous Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +421
    The only problem I can see with this is how they're gonna have to be forced to install certain software for the servers which might conflict (not saying it will, there is quite a possibility though) with their support.
    Also considering that BAC is working on 1.12 support.
  3. Limitre

Ratings:
    +58
    It wouldn't conflict with anything. All BAC does server-side is verify the client is running BAC.
  4. RWJP

RWJP V.I.BEE VIP

Ratings:
    +8,052
    There's been a thread about this before, and I'll raise the same point here that I raised there...

The Badlion Client is not the final answer to solving hacking. There's one simple reason as to why: If servers enforce the use of the client, they will lose a huge chunk of their playerbase who don't want to use it. If servers don't enforce the use of the client, then people won't use it, meaning there are still hackers.

Here's the thing, if the Badlion Client is so great, why didn't Badlion lock their own server down to ONLY allow players who used it connect? Because they knew, just as well as any server owner does, that locking down access like that kills your playerbase.

Sure, it will help mark out people who are definitely not cheating, but it doesn't come even close to solving the issue of actual hackers.

You also mention that incentives should be offered to players to use the client... I'm sure I am not alone in saying that no incentive available would make me enter my login details into any third party client.

Edit: I've just seen that apparently the client also reports back to Badlion themselves about your activity. They "claim" that it doesn't access anything other than what you do on Minecraft but we only have their word on that, and I don't like the idea of giving yet more third parties access to my PC like that.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Limitre

Ratings:
    +58
    It's not a final answer, no, but it's a good one. MineHQ + Cheatbreaker appears to be a successful implementation of a client-side AC. They reported 10K concurrent users last week.

You're wrong about entering login details. The Badlion client uses your launcher profile to authenticate sessions. You can login within the client, but it's completely optional. To be honest, I have my doubts with it working out on Hive also. The player demographic is wrong. Hive doesn't have much of a player base now as it is, but I can't imagine many players would even care enough to download a client.
  6. Yachiyl

Yachiyl Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +281
    That's for multiple reasons tho.
    1. MineHQ is pretty much the only big 1.7 server left. The only reason cheatbreaker is big is because it's required to play on ESSENTIALLY the last 1.7 server.