Bows and Arrows in Bedwars, how to make them more balanced ?

Discussion in 'BedWars' started by Larryzona, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Larryzona

Larryzona Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +242
    Hello, I felt like I wanted to get this off of my chest and express it on the forums.

Overview: the bow and arrows are an amazing defensive item and can also be used offensively to damage defending enemies at their base, it deals a lot of damage to any opponent and can easily knock them off a bridge.

How I'd change them:
    due to the very low cost of bows (5 diamonds) and the very low cost for 10 arrows (15 iron), bows can be obtained very early on. In my opinion, bows' price should be higher within the range of 15 to 50 diamonds and 1 arrow should atleast cost 5 to 15 iron.
    This will certainly remove the ability to buy bows from the diamond generator at side very early on and also prevent the reliance of the bow due to the highered arrow price.

Summary: bows are fundamental in Bedwars even if they can get annoying, there are positives and negatives about them. With a higher price for both bows and arrows + the lowered amounts of arrows given, people might stop relying on just bow spamming to defend.

Thank you for reading, debates are open below, give me your point of views on bows at the current state. Agree/disagree ? Let me know.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. captainsnake

captainsnake Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +506
    The only thing about bows that is unbalanced is flame bows. You are the only person I have seen complain about bows since they were changed to 5 diamonds in BW 2.5.2. They have so much counterplay. Worst case scenario you can’t kill a player with a bow and you just wait till later to defeat them.

Bows are an inherently defensive item, they only get offensive value when players in late game get flame on it and you can kill someone at their base. Sure you can knock someone off a bridge, but’s that’s still a passive play.

Since someone bowcamping to defend requires that they spend all their time at their base you can quite easily just ignore them till A: you get the resources to rush a bowcamper (usually better armor, sometimes you’ll need pearls) you can literally sit around killing everyone else and it will cause no issues.

Using bows in early-mid game only works effectively in the moment because by nature it deprives you of resources. If a person bowcamping the getting resources faster than you can, you need to rethink your strategy.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  3. xKillers

xKillers Well Known Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Personally I am okay with the pricing of bows. Yes, bows can be very annoying at the start of a game, but how many games do you really see someone buying a bow at the start.

There are also many ways to get past a bow early on with two people or even just one
  4. Zyons

Zyons Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +147
    Yup, like Captain said, bow campers will largely je at an disadvantage due to them staying base while you can get stacked from mid emeralds. Just rush in and yeet them with fire/KB swords. Though I did agree with the part about maybe it being annoying to some.
  5. Hwamz

Hwamz The Bees Knees Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +2,121
    Bows used to be 1 diamond 5 diamonds is a good price it should stay this price
    people already complained about bows going from 1-5 diamonds I don't think anything more would be a good idea. I'm open to hear opinions tho!
  6. Larryzona

Larryzona Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +242
    Yes, it is definitly impossible to win if you just stay at your base but, when the whole enemy team is using bows, rushes become very expensive and might not always work out. Offensively, bowspamming from middle is just a pain, I mean not being able to move from your base is just an automatic loss.

Maybe on second thought, yes, the price of bows is decent but what about arrows ?
  7. Shadowphax

Shadowphax Night Owl Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,536
    I think it's fine as is, personally. It can be annoying, yes; but if you can get emeralds in mid while they're bowspamming, it's pretty easy to pearl over.
  8. AgarOther

AgarOther Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +122
    It can be annoying when you're defending your base and that only 2 teams including yours are left. In this case, if the opposite team camps mid while getting fire arrows, yes, this scenario can be annoying. But this scenario only occurs rarely, so I don't think it'd be good to make the price of arrows/bows more expensive.
  9. Hwamz

Hwamz The Bees Knees Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +2,121
    When bedwars 2.5 came out arrows were risen from 10-20 this changed bows a lot and was a negative one for the whole. It was reduced back down to 15 which is still a lot higher than 10. This number is fine and should not be changed in my opinion. There is many ways to counter someone with a bow.