Bedwars lag

Discussion in 'BedWars' started by RottenSoul, Jul 4, 2020.

1. RottenSoul

RottenSoul NewBee

Ratings:
    +1
    I wasn't playing in Hive's BW in a long period of time, but I've returned to it just with the release of the Java 2 update, and, to my unfortunate bumped into a big problem. Essentially, when I start a new match my FPS is around 300 frames, but after a while (usually 10 minutes, if the match is long enough) the FPS is dropping to 120 (when it actually feels like 40) and then continues to drop. The lowest I got, was when I got into a fight, it dropped suddenly from 30 to 3 fps. That match was lasting for about 20 minutes or so. I haven't ever experienced the same on other servers.
  2. xChqr

xChqr V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +3,543
    I've definitely experienced lag in hubs with the Java 2 update, but not in-game. Is this a consistent issue or did it just happen once?
  3. Menace98

Menace98 Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +13
    It is strange that you are experiencing lag in-game rather then in-hub or in-lobby. The chunks that are being loaded should not cause that much lag... I had a similar issue with my MC where frames would drop. I reinstalled MC and the it increased my frames, maybe if your problem persists you can try that?
  4. captainsnake

captainsnake Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +704
    I’ve heard this called “map lag” because it depends a lot on your location in the map, but I think it could use a better name. Basically, the problem is generators building up large amount of resources and all those entities lagging your game. That’s why you only see it later in the game. This was always a thing, and it’s likely just chance that you never experienced it before java 2 (or, you did get it and just forgot.) as for when you’re playing the game, the only real fix is to collect your generator more frequently, but that isn’t always possible. On hive’s side I think it might be possible for them to try and condense multiple dropped items into individual items (for example, a stack of gold is displayed as one gold block, but when you pick it up it is turned back into 64 gold in your inventory.) but that’s a fairly substantial change that would likely only be made in hive’s next big bedwars update.

if that’s not what’s causing you lag then I have no idea what you’re talking about, but this seems the most reasonable. But I’m almost certainly this is a cause. Your FPS drop from 30 to 3 could be from a bunch of uncollected entities loading in at the same time, and this is the only cause of lag I’ve ever seen that compounds over time.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. RottenSoul

RottenSoul NewBee

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for replies, but today everything has returned back to normal. I believe, that this bug or whatever, was a thing only yesterday.
    And I believe it was not a problem of the summoners generating dropped items, because it was happening almost every single game.

@captainsnake, LOL. Funny thing is that I just found your youtube channel by a video "BedWars episode 35". Just subbed btw =)
  6. radiatorface

radiatorface Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks CaptainSnake. This happens to me all the time now, it's incredibly frustrating. Almost always happens when I have loads of ems, diamond armour, bed covered in obsidian etc. It gets so laggy, down to 1 fps or worse, that I can't move, especially when near my own base. Usually worst when there's only me and 1 other player. It stops the moment that the game is over and the podium fires up. :( I did have a hunch that it was worst when I was nearest to the summoners, so this makes perfect sense now.

Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this? Any idea whether it's an internet issue, or performance problems with my computer, or a combination of both? Thank you so much for posting! :D
  7. Jedidiahh

Jedidiahh Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +35
    I've had exactly same problem! I'm glad that I'm not the only one.
  8. Uzur

Uzur Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +21
    Upgrade your computer (joking have you tried optifine??)
  9. radiatorface

radiatorface Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks v much Uzur. I tried it this evening. With optifine, it made no perceptible difference to the fps performance. Still down to 1fps in the latter stages of the game, even when in spectator mode. Shoots straight back up to 60fps as soon as the podiums appear. Weird! Really appreciate your suggestion though, really good of you to post it. Thank you! :D
  10. xChqr

xChqr V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +3,543
    Maybe you could try Badlion client, I know it improves FPS for a lot of people due to their included "Betterframes" mod
  11. ixxd

ixxd NewBee

Ratings:
    +1
    I have the same problem, I doubt it's from generators because it happens so suddenly and it drops by a lot. I get 1k fps on avg, when it starts lagging it shows 100-150 fps and it feels like 30 fps. My friends also have the same problem. Even enemies sometimes just stop moving or stay in corners because they can't do anything on 10 fps.
  12. Famulus

Famulus Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +2
    If you experience low fps issue's late game, It's usually the generator's causing it. When you are experiencing low fps refresh all of the gen's and you're fps should return back to normal.
  13. JoeyH

JoeyH Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +55
    I assume the Hive uses methods in games where there are tons of invisible entities around.
  14. radiatorface

radiatorface Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks very much indeed xChqr, I tried Badlion today, but unfortunately made zero difference. Identical issue, down to 1fps for the entire last part of the game. Shot back up to 60fps instantly when the "1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes" podium bit fired up. Was a great suggestion though, thanks v much for posting. :D
  15. radiatorface

radiatorface Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks very much. Um, sorry for being really stupid but how do folks go about refreshing the gen's? I'm not sure what this means. :) Thanks so much for posting. :D
  16. captainsnake

captainsnake Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +704
    he probably means collecting the gens.
  17. azzify

azzify Well Known Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +12
  18. radiatorface

radiatorface Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    Here's a screenshot. As you can see, it's 1fps (using Badlion's meter), even after picking up the summoner items. It's sometimes as bad as one frame approx every 5 seconds or so.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. radiatorface

radiatorface Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    As Captainsnake says, it does indeed seem to be “map lag”, because it depends a lot on your location on the map. Toward the end of one of my last games there, none of us could get any more than 1 or 2 fps at mid, but one of the players' bases was fine (about 25 fps), so they led the other surviving player VERY slowly over to their base, and they set up to have the final battle there. It was weird, as soon as you got to their base, the fps went straight back to normal, and as soon as you went mid it dropped to 1 or 2 fps. All of us were having the same problem, and it was happening even in spectator mode after I got killed at mid during a rather random 1fps battle. Usually though it's only me suffering slow fps, hahaha XD It seems to be a worse issue now that we're in Java2, I can't remember the lag ever being this bad. Well, either that or I just happen to make it to the hectic final stages slightly more often than I used to, haha.
  20. JoeyH

JoeyH Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +55
    In the debug menu (usually accessed by "F3"), it should tell you a lot of information. I assume you know this. It could possibly be the operating system you are using (meaning Windows 7 may not run Minecraft as fast), and I notice you have some mods on (Or maybe just a few). If you are using mods, it may be a better idea to turn them off. I have performance issues also, because my computer has a lousy GPU and a measly 4 GB of RAM (plus readyboost set with 30 GB extra, so that may not be a problem anymore). I know how you feel. It makes you feel weird seeing people calling 32 GB of RAM terrible (many youtubers likely do that)