An in-depth update for The Hive: Java Edition (2020)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiveTeam, Feb 21, 2020.

1. HiveTeam

HiveTeam Official Post Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,568
    Hey bees,

Today we are going to be getting into an in-depth update post on the state of The Hive: Java Edition. We made a post about it here a while ago, but beyond that we've kept things quite private. This has been a far larger undertaking than we first imagined, but we’re pleased to announce that the rewrite is nearing completion!

Since launching over 7 years ago, The Hive has changed a lot, and we continue to evolve as time goes on. With the introduction of Bedrock in late 2018, The Hive has grown enormously: both in community and staff. We've more than quadrupled our paid team members in the past year, with more to come in the future.

That all sounds good, but why is a rewrite needed?

A lot of our systems and infrastructure are very outdated. As more and more games have been added, maintaining them has become an enormous task. This, combined with technical debt accrued through the years, means our Java Edition server is wildly expensive to run.

Over the past 18 months, Java has been losing us money. It costs us more money to host 4,000 concurrent Java players than 20,000 Bedrock players.

Rewriting our server has allowed us to make conscious decisions to ensure we are able to keep Hive: Java Edition alive. Without the opportunity to modernize our infrastructure and make changes where needed, we would not be able to keep our Java server above water.

500,000 unique players log into The Hive every month - that's a ton of people. It shows that we still have a tremendous amount of new people coming to check us out, but many don't find a home here. We have had to make some difficult choices and put sentiment aside when looking over the raw data. With the launch of Java 2, we will, unfortunately, be saying a sad goodbye to Cowboys and Indians, SkyGiants, Murder in Mineville, and The Herobrine.

Removing games is a super controversial and challenging line to walk, and we know people will be sad when they log in and see their favorite game is gone. Please recognize that we are being very meticulous with the decisions made in this area.

We've found that new players will often go straight into a game of Cowboys or SkyGiants, but the game never meets the requirements to start. This gives a bad impression of the server, often causing them to leave, believing games don't start on The Hive. This is the result of the dwindling player base that these games hold.

Player retention is always something we want to improve, and this is an essential step for us to take at this time. It's common practice in the gaming industry to strategically deprecate games and features, so other games and new ideas can blossom. The bigger our catalog gets, the more time is spent maintaining instead of innovating. This makes it really hard to ensure all players are getting the best possible experience.

This wasn't a snap decision, it's one we have wrestled for over 5 years. The hard facts are that even the most "popular" games that will be vaulted have 15-20x less games played, every single day. That's a tremendous difference.

So, what about all the games that are staying?

The games you know and love will mostly only be seeing quality of life updates (bug fixes, performance improvements). Things will look the same (for the most part), and games will play the same. The difference is, they'll be running on a brand new framework and server infrastructure.

And yes, all your data and stats are safe!

What else is included in the Java 2 update?
    • Modernized queue system
      • It's now quicker and easier than ever to play a game. We'll find you the next available, fullest game; ensuring more time is spent playing, and less time spent searching
    • Improved game loop
      • You will now automatically be put into a new game once yours is over (you can still instantly go into a new game, like before, if you wish)
      • Every game now ends with 3 podium spots, highlighting the top performers of each game
      • Smarter team balancing
    • Endless fixes
      • Bug, map and performance fixes everywhere
      • That said; this is a rewrite and there will be bugs. We will be monitoring everything very closely, ready to squish any new bugs that come our way
      • The bug report and suggestions forum sections will be re-introduced. The growth of our team means that we can finally stay on top of these areas consistently
    • Revamped hub experience
      • Podiums in each game room that highlight the best players
      • View your personal stats for each game
      • A place to settle scores in a new way
      • Reworked compass and game joining; making joining a game as smoother than ever
      • PLUS! Some secrets we can't quite share yet
    [​IMG]

When can I see it?

Sooner than you may think! We are currently in the stages of doing large-scale staff testing, patching any bugs we find along the way. Once we are happy, we will be announcing testing sessions on Discord, where any community member can hop on and share feedback! If you haven't yet joined our Discord, type "/login discord" on our Java server.

This may be the most substantial update post we have ever written, and naturally, many of you will have questions. We are here to listen!

All that we ask is you read this post and take some time to consider your question(s) before posting.

(I would also like to direct you to the following post explaining more in-depth how close we are to everything we make.)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2020
    • HYPE! x 40
    • Like x 12
    • Informative x 5
    • Friendly x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Award Worthy x 2
    • List
  2. briqht

briqht Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +497
    :O first page hype

CaI will always remain in my heart though, forever.

Regarding players who have stats in the games that will be removed, will those stats still be accessible? Eg. through "hivemc.com/player/briqht"? If not, I think it'd really be appreciated for those players who have spent many hours playing those gamemodes to have their hard-work recognized in a legacy fashion of sorts.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. Zlorian

Zlorian Well Known Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +47
    hype :-(
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  4. Advent

Advent Famous

Ratings:
    +0
    poggers!
  5. varks

varks V.I.BEE Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +1,108
    i'm really excited to see all of the new stuff coming to hive but i feel bad for the people who really enjoyed some of the games that are being removed
  6. Scmuel

Scmuel V.I.BEE | Mood Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,464
  7. Shadowphax

Shadowphax Night Owl Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,551
    Super exciting! :)
  8. Peacelover710701

Peacelover710701 Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +14
    Does this mean there will be new games to replace the old games?
  9. Ayoub

Ayoub Talk of the Town Gold Member

Ratings:
    +680
    finally good news
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Norkle

Norkle Talk of the Town Gold Member

Ratings:
    +541
    Sounds great, can't wait for the update! :)
  11. Snavy

Snavy Honey Maker Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Looks great, finally some news about this
  12. 12ths

12ths Regular Bee Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +22
  13. HeinzBeans

HeinzBeans Famous Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Can anyone tell me if the Timv map Armadillo will be returning in this update by any chance?
  14. SourMatt

SourMatt Staff Manager Administrator Staff Manager

Ratings:
    +1,565
    Yes it will
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. NannyGaGa

NannyGaGa Talk of the Town

Ratings:
    +56
    ah rip, I was trying to get all the achievements unlocked in mimv and CaI and get the trophy..
    I hope the "loss" for me will be a gain for everyone else!
  16. MudsyKipsy

MudsyKipsy Famous

Ratings:
    +172
    Looks great, I can't wait! ^-^
  17. MrNickNick1998

MrNickNick1998 V.I.BEE Emerald Member

Ratings:
    +2,370
    Sounds like there's a lot to come. And Hive sure did come a long way the past 7 years. Sucks to see some old games go though.

But we will be able to still see our stats from the discontinued games, is that right?
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  18. Fxleh

Fxleh Famous Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +700
    so excited!!
  19. EatMarkers

EatMarkers Talk of the Town Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Wow! Very interesting stuff. Some people might not like a few things but everything said will be very beneficial to the Hive in the long run. Can't wait! <3
    • Buzz (Admin Approval!) Buzz (Admin Approval!) x 1
    • List
  20. Hwamz

Hwamz The Bees Knees Ultimate Member

Ratings:
    +2,162
    I look forward too seeing the new stuff coming. Also I see gnt(teams of 6) barely starts but gntm (teams of 2) I always see a lobby filling up. I assume the data is on just gnt and not gntm and gnt. But it sucks to see them go since I love to play them