A Seeker's Field Manual

Discussion in 'Hide and Seek' started by jasonbailey, Aug 20, 2013.

?

Bacon?

1. Buttsaggington!

38.9%
  2. Pancakes!

19.4%
  3. Husky the Mud Fish!

16.7%
  4. *casually sips water* Ya know, this poll is not related to the post whatsoever.

69.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jasonbailey

jasonbailey Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +41
    Hey guys! Hope you are all having a fantastic day, so I thought I'd write up a field manual for seekers. This guide will consist of sarcasm, common sense, actual tips, and such! Feel free to write a reply with a legit statement and it will be added to the field manual! Without further ado, let us begin!

Also, on a more practical level, I'm hoping this manual helps the seekers to win more often on the seeker winnable maps.

DISCLAIMER: Nothing in this manual is inappropriate. If you take it wrongly, it is purely your fault. :)

A Seeker's Field Manual

CHAPTER 1 - The Basics

Rule 1.1 - Learn how to swing a sword. If you cannot do this, then be a redstone lamp on Villa and be bid good luck.

Rule 1.2 - Understand what blocks are available to play on for what map. For example, why hit a flower pot on Hotel if a hider cannot hide as one on it? Know the blocks that the hiders could be and avoid hitting blocks they could not be.

Rule 1.3 - Encourage the hiders not to exit/leave the map. It is unfair gameplay and is punishable by a ban. (Unless it is on AnimalVillage, in which you can go after them) Report them if you can.

Rule 1.4 - Learn how sword durability works. Sorry pal, but you cannot run around hitting every block in the wall on Hotel.

CHAPTER 2 - Hotel

Rule 2.1 - Check the bathroom. You won't believe the amount of doofuses that chill in there.

Rule 2.2 - There's nothing wrong with a legitimate pool party! And who knows, you might find an oak leaf with the plants or even a wood block as your personal arm rest! (Don't be surprised if he bites you, though)

Rule 2.3- Check the dead end area. Blocks like hiding in the balcony nested back there. Check it thoroughly.

Rule 2.4 - Your pillow could bite you! Make sure to whack your pillows before you step on them! Also, there is a sneaky snow block floor spot in the back room on the top floor - don't step on the snow block or else he'll bite you! And makes sure to check the foot of your bed!

Rule 2.5 - There's a secret in every library. Yes, hit every bookshelf that a block could be. It might payoff.

Rule 2.6 - When in doubt, lounge by the grill! You never know when some pesky blocks ruin your steak you've been grilling for 3 seconds.

Rule 2.7 - Too often do I win as a hider on Hotel as one of the last ones, if not the last one, by being an oak leaf block. If you look closely, they stand out a bit from the jungle leaves, so make sure to keep an eye on the leaves. (computerman11)

CHAPTER 3 - Villa

Rule 3.1 - Don't waste your time chasing a running block outside. Someone else will eventually deal with him. Check the villa itself.

Rule 3.2 - You see those stairs splat in front of you when you enter the Villa? Yeah, hiders go up there. Overcome your fear of those stairs and begin your 22 step climb! (At least you ain't climbing the Empire State by foot!)

Rule 3.3 - There aren't any clothes in the chests. Stop barging through them looking for undies and start looking for hiders! (I cannot tell you how many people I see do that!)

Rule 3.4 - See those flower pots in the hallways? Yeah, you never know when one of them is an imposter. Just remember they take off a nice chunk of durability, so pick your blows and stop looking for clothes... in... ehh.... see Rule 3.3. (Don't you dare take that the wrong way! -.-)

Rule 3.5 - Hit every redstone lamp you see. Trust me.

Rule 3.6 - Familiarize yourself with the melon room. It is practically the only place melons can hide. (Smidgen)

Rule 3.7 - Encourage the hiders not to exit the map! Tell them not to, and report anyone who leaves, if possible.

CHAPTER 4 - TownSquare

Rule 4.1 - Hit every fence post you see. Trust me. Someone will explain, and the manual is too lazy to do so.

Rule 4.2 - Hit every anvil. You're the ones who do it all the time!

Rule 4.3 - Hiders can sneakily drop down the stairs after you walk up them in the houses to escape. Walk backwards when going up the stairs. (Works well for me)

Rule 4.4 - By experience, the west side of the map has some of the best hiding spots. There are sneaky floor, anvil, and fence spots, so check that side first.

Rule 4.5 - Anvil overboard! Check the water every so often. I see anvils plunging over, escaping from their predators after being knocked off. Surround them.

Rule 4.6 - Three times out of four you'll find a block in the alleyways between the buildings. (The fourth one being the seeker spawn) Nothing like a sneaky wooden plank to ruin your day! (Smidgen; modified)

Rule 4.7 - This rule goes hand-in-hand with Rule 7.4. See a wood block facing upright in a row of sideways logs? Yeah, that's a hider. Whack him in his hair and maybe give him a knot or two! (computerman11)

CHAPTER 5 - AnimalVillage

Rule 5.1 - Be tarzan. Swing from tree to tree, and you may find an oak leaf cleverly disguised.

Rule 5.2 - Check for random dirt blocks. They are much different than grass blocks, y'hear?

Rule 5.3 - When all else fails, take off your hat and visit the stables for 5 minutes. See if you can find Husky the Fish. ;)

CHAPTER 6 - Space

Rule 6.1 - Hit every block that someone could be. There is so much random stuff around the map that you're bound to find someone.

Rule 6.2 - Watch youtube for 5 minutes or leave and rejoin. You ain't gonna win this map anytime soon. :p

CHAPTER 7 -Advanced Tips (Possibly... possibly not!)

Rule 7.1 - Check back soon for a Cruise one!

Rule 7.2 - Hotel, Villa, and Cruise are the only maps where you can possibly win. Try playing those as seeker and the other three as hiders. You won't be disappointed. :)

Rule 7.3 - Don't hit a block below another block directly above it. People are two blocks high, and hiders cannot stack without being kicked for flying.

Elaboration: Hiders are two blocks high. Therefore, the space they hide in must have an air block above them and a solid block below them. Therefore, evaluate this situation:

Key - X = Bookshelf; A = Air Block; W = Wooden Plank; N = Slab

ANNNN
    WXAXW
    WAXXW
    WXAXW

There is a hider hiding as a bookshelf in that picture. Where could he be? Did you guess it? He is the underlined bookshelf:

ANNNN
    WXAXW
    WAXXW
    WXAXW

*Well, how can he not be the bookshelf in the top left corner? There is an air block below it.
    *How can he not be the bookshelf in the center? There is an air block below it.
    *How can he not be the bookshelf in the top right? There is a slab above it, which counts as a block, unless it is below you.
    *How can he not be the bookshelf in the middle right? There is a solid block above.
    *How can he not be the bookshelf in the bottom right? There is a solid block above.

So whenever you see a block that could fit into the spot, whack it! (extension modification Dalahast)

Challenge: Imagine that scenario is a spot on Hotel. Where is the other block hiding?

The solution is at the end of this manual.

Rule 7.4 - Despite being common sense, check for blocks out of place. Hit those.

Rule 7.5 - Memorize the maps. At this point, you'll know if something is out of place.

CHAPTER 8 - The Golden Rule

THE GOLDEN RULE (Rule 8.1)

Hit every beacon block you see! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you guys like it! Leave any suggestions, and have fun! Also, the poll is just for fun, even though it is completely off topic.

Buzz,
    Jason

Solution to the Challenge (See rule 7.3)

ANNNN
    WXAXW
    WAXXW
    WXAXW

The underlined block is the hider.

If you read all of the manual, you'll notice two things:

1. On Hotel, you can be a Beacon, Redstone Lamp, Snow Block, Coal Block, Wooden Plank, (and the next ones are block picker) Bookshelf, Melon, Pumpkin, Oak Leaf, and Off Redstone Lamp.
    2. The wood plank in the top left corner had an air block above it and a solid block below it.

Therefore, that is the only possible spot.

But ohmighty Jason, it is two blocks high!

Well, this requires a very high level of thinking, but if you find this spot on Hotel, you'll realize there is a table (so I call it) next to it, allowing you to hop up. And yes, I gave away my primetime wood block spot. (Have fun finding the spot though!)
  2. Helgrinds

Helgrinds V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +499
    Rule 4.1 - explanation. Theres a glitch which allows you to take the place of a fence. I won't say how to do it though.
  3. uH8R

uH8R The Hive's Batman

Ratings:
    +135
    These both have been fixed :)
    Also, encouraging people to get out of the map isn't the BEST of ideas.

Rule 3.7 - Familiarize yourself with the location of the Melon room. A Melon is a default option of a block, and the Melon room is one of the only places they can hide.

Rule 4.6 - Check your alleyways, 3 out of the 4 sides have a gap inbetween the middle buildings that Hiders love to hide in. I see these get passed by so often when I hide there.

Not when I play ;)

Rule 7.6 - Don't be afraid to check the forums for advanced spots that people hide in. Guranteed that the thread posters aren't the only ones who know about the spot. If there's only 1 hider left, check them.
  4. CHEEZYGURU

CHEEZYGURU Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +66
    I voted just so I could casually sip my water ;)

Thnx fo da gide m8
  5. computerman11

computerman11 V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Also, you should add to hit all the leaf blocks on hotel.
  6. jasonbailey

jasonbailey Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +41
    Thank goodness. I'll fix that. Also, I was encouraging the seekers to exit the map to kill the hiders to exit the map. :)

Added Rule 3.7.

Modified Rule 4.6.

Didn't add 7.6 as the people here on the forum looking at the seekers guide are already looking for the good spots. :)

:) No problem!

Oak leaves, that is. Added.
  7. computerman11

computerman11 V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +1,516
    I got another one. On TownSquare, the logs can hide in the missing blocks and make it look natural. Always look at the ground for log blocks facing upwards. (If you don't get what I'm saying, I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.)
  8. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    From what I've seen, a lot of seekers seem to have a hard time following this logic:
    • Players in Minecraft are two blocks tall.
    • As a hider, despite appearing as block, you are still restricted by this.
    • You cannot hide anywhere that does not have an empty block above it (for your head).
    • Therefore, hitting blocks with no space above them is a waste of time.
  9. jasonbailey

jasonbailey Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +41
    Added.
    I believe I said something along these lines (See Rule 7.3) but I will elaborate on it. :)
  10. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    Huh, when I read the thread, there was no §7, didn't see you had added one.
  11. ZipZero

ZipZero Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +1
    What about seekers attacking blocks floating in the air, such as some of the coal overhangs on Hotel?
  12. Anbaraen

Anbaraen Famous

Ratings:
    +2
    Rule 2.5 Where is the Libary part on hotel?
    Penguin-pop co
  13. jasonbailey

jasonbailey Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +41
    As in bookshelves. There are some on both the top and bottom floor.
  14. sousa47

sousa47 Honey Maker

Ratings:
    +8
    Rule 25 " Yes, hit every bookshelf that a block could be. It might payoff." You don´t need waste the sword check the blocks under the others, just check the top blocks
  15. Hellheaven

Hellheaven Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +12
    Ho my..... You are the only guy I know that posts all the good hiding spots.
    Players should explore the maps for themselves, do you hear?
    I hate the fact that posting hiding spot is even allowed in here, that ruins the game for hiders.
  16. Erasio

Erasio German

Ratings:
    +321
    Actually it doesn't.
    Only because the easy kinda obvious hiding spots are gone doesn't mean there aren't any left.
    I still have at lest one spot left on each map and only because a spot seems good doesn't mean it's good.
    Besides that not that many people are visiting the forum anyway so you don't have to fear that it'd gets any harder.

And last but not least.
    Everyone who plays a bit knows all of those spots which makes it unfair for non donators since they mostly don't have the time to explore all of them. It's a little help for people who pay attention to the forum.

Also please stop reporting this thread.
    It is not forbidden to post hiding spots because it doesn't cause any harm but making one of 20 games a little harder but that's how games work.
    The difficulty increases over time.
  17. Hellheaven

Hellheaven Regular Bee

Ratings:
    +12
    Ho, ok sorry...
  18. computerman11

computerman11 V.I.BEE

Ratings:
    +1,516
    There are plenty of other places where people have posted hiding spots. If you don't want to see, don't look at the thread.
  19. Erasio

Erasio German

Ratings:
    +321
    Guys that doesn't mean you are supposed to flame.
    Please only post on topic!
  20. dalahast

dalahast Well Known Bee

Ratings:
    +130
    This is very true. It's easiest to observe this when a new map comes out: nobody knows their way around the thing, and there are lots of hiding spots to experiment with. As the map gets played, players begin to learn the layout, and they memorize details of the map that make it easier to spot hiders, so it becomes harder to hide. (This is the reason I do not collect map statistics until a map has been available for several days.)